Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HBO's Game of Thrones

Season 5 proved the writers couldn't fix bad source material while introducing new stuff of their own. Season 6 was an improvement but still a noticeable step down from the first four seasons. I haven't watched Sunday's episode yet, but the premiere isn't leaving me in any hurry to watch it ASAP.

Liked this episode.

That said- is there anything more ridiculous than watching Khaleesi ride that Dragon? It's making 180 degree bank turns and she's just holding on with all thigh power and the palms of her hands. I thought she was good looking before- but now that I know she has the thigh power of a Na'vi... :drool:

Would it have been too hard to give her a saddle that locks her feet in place rather than look so unrealistic?

I think Dinklage has his pick for next year's Emmys.

Looks like the next episode could be the most terrifying yet.
After Carrie Coon got passed over for a nomination for the Leftovers- easily the best performance of any actor or actress all year- I have no desire for the Emmys. Same with the golden globes- flippin' Rachel Evan wood? A pure product of great editing by Mark Y. And company winning while passing over Keri Russel amongst others? And these are the experts? And let's not start with zootopia beating out Kubo. It's all a sham.

That said- I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Maybe the best of the season for me- even with the cliche "7 badasses" ending- I even liked that. Hah.

Maybe it was of benefit that I got my weekly dose of massive eye roll out of the way during the first 5 seconds of the show. So not only is Bron a badass swordsman- and newfound dragon fire dodger. But he's also a swimmer and lifeguard that would put Michael phelps to shame.
Full body armor and solid gold handed Jamie gets dragged across the entire giant lake without being seen? Maybe they did it all in one breath- Jamie did cough up water like he had just drowned and been revived. I mean, really, they couldn't have had Bron take his Full Plate mail armor, Sword and Solid Gold Hand off first? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm calling the season finale- one of the small dragons dies in battle with white walkers with 10 mins left in the show.
End scene of this season is showing the dead dragon, panning in to close up of face/eyes. Eyes open and they're blue. End credits.

I'm calling the season finale- one of the small dragons dies in battle with white walkers with 10 mins left in the show.
End scene of this season is showing the dead dragon, panning in to close up of face/eyes. Eyes open and they're blue. End credits.

There has been theories that the White Walkers have a dragon but this makes more sense.

George RR Martin also released this before GOT:

The Ice Dragon - A Wiki of Ice and Fire

last night I was actually thinking how ridiculous (and predictable) this was getting.. I surprised myself when I realized that but you're right, it's getting very predictable.

Who cares? It's good! Anyway...

:topic:

Taking this to the right thread :)

But I'd argue the use of the word "good"- depending on context. I think the word "entertaining" is more appropriate.
2-3 seasons ago and before- when they were still using George R's source material- I would say it was good. Now- it's simply entertaining in the same vein fast and the furious or a Michael bay film might be entertaining. Still watchable and enjoyable- but certainly not the complex, high brow writing/editing it used to be.
Previously, it was on par with several other phenomenal shows in terms of originality and tons of groundbreaking storylines and character development.

Considering, originally, it was two-Fold. You had arguably the greatest fantasy source material ever written with the most complex characters of all time teamed up with a network that has outstanding casting, budget, and production value in HBO. It's impossible to screw up. But now that the writers are left making up everything on their own using just a "guide" from George R- it has taken a significant dip.

Maybe I'm just annoyed with people who think this is the greatest show on right now. Similar to how people thought the walking dead was. I mean, compared to CSI: Miami- sure. But it's just an entertaining show now that hits all the right nerd buttons.
Complex writing, editing and characters be damned.

:what:

Yea...I'd very much disagree with this. The books are...fine. They're good. But I prefer the show.
Hah- hence why I said arguably. I also don't agree and prefer the show. Namely because his books were like reading Genesis in the Bible. I don't need to know whibegot who- let's just get to Noah already. :D
But I know there are plenty of big names in the fantasy realm who argue otherwise.

ha Ha, if you think last weeks episode was filled with dumb plot points, wait till you see this weeks. It basically throws logic and time out the window.
Logic and time out the window is an understatement.

Ok just watched it tonight. This show is beyond dumb now. Sorry @JungleSkip - it's not even "good" in the "entertaining" sense anymore. Thank the lord of light next season is the last one. I didn't think they could crap on this series as bad as they are. They truly are lost without George.

So we hike for a few days yet Gendry- let's not forget he's never seen snow, forget being north of the wall- runs fast enough and remembers his directions to the wall- so he can then get a raven all the way to dragonstone for Dany to ride her dragons north of the wall to find them in the entire frozen land and rescue them just in the nick of time in what, 36 hours?
Now let's hear how this show is "good" again.

I could even forgive all of this if the insulting show writers who feed us this garbage would have the balls to kill just one likable character. Just one- instead of having these random spare people appear just to die by a walker. We were treated to not one. Not two. But three "Glenn dumpster" moments of near death. Just have some balls and kill Tormund. Or let mormont fall off the dragon. Or let Jon die via drowning. Oh, but at least we had ole uncle benjen die after he was just hanging out waiting for the right moment to save Jon with his magical fire mace.

Maybe for the finale the show writers will muster up immense courage and we'll get the death of Podrick.

I won't even rant about the giant dragon hauling chains that the walkers just carry around with them.

:bang:

I think I might just end up reading synopsis now. It's gone too far for me :(

Side Note: Arya- who I've liked from the beginning- I can't stand this season. Why, again, have they made her talk with a cadence in a low voice and squint constantly? And now she's a total meanie all of a sudden with no sense of humanity whatsoever. They've ruined her.

Last edited:
Logic and time out the window is an understatement.

Ok just watched it tonight. This show is beyond dumb now. Sorry @JungleSkip - it's not even "good" in the "entertaining" sense anymore. Thank the lord of light next season is the last one. I didn't think they could crap on this series as bad as they are. They truly are lost without George.

So we hike for a few days yet Gendry- let's not forget he's never seen snow, forget being north of the wall- runs fast enough and remembers his directions to the wall- so he can then get a raven all the way to dragonstone for Dany to ride her dragons north of the wall to find them in the entire frozen land and rescue them just in the nick of time in what, 36 hours?
Now let's hear how this show is "good" again.

I could even forgive all of this if the insulting show writers who feed us this garbage would have the balls to kill just one likable character. Just one- instead of having these random spare people appear just to die by a walker. We were treated to not one. Not two. But three "Glenn dumpster" moments of near death. Just have some balls and kill Tormund. Or let mormont fall off the dragon. Or let Jon die via drowning. Oh, but at least we had ole uncle benjen die after he was just hanging out waiting for the right moment to save Jon with his magical fire mace.

Maybe for the finale the show writers will muster up immense courage and we'll get the death of Podrick.

I won't even rant about the giant dragon hauling chains that the walkers just carry around with them.

:bang:

I think I might just end up reading synopsis now. It's gone too far for me :(

Side Note: Arya- who I've liked from the beginning- I can't stand this season. Why, again, have they made her talk with a cadence in a low voice and squint constantly? And now she's a total meanie all of a sudden with no sense of humanity whatsoever. They've ruined her.

All valid complaints, although there is no way I could just "stop" watching the show at this point. The show is still entertaining, even when it's extremely mind numbing.

I think the big problem is that the show in the past spent whole seasons with characters travelling across Westeros. It made the land feel massive. Now it feels like they suddenly discovered teleportation or "fast travel" technology, as characters seem to show up on other sides of the continent within a matter of hours. In the past episodes you could look beyond this, as the story never really mentions how much time passed.

However, this episode completely throws logic and time out the window. It MAY have worked if it didn't take half the episode to get to that frozen lake in the first place. It may also have worked if they hadn't made it seem like Gendry was "weak" to the cold. Taking the hammer away, doesn't make him the FLASH all the sudden.

Then they REPEATED this mistake, with Jon making it back on horseback...incredibly slowly, to the wall. How is it that the army of the dead can't seem to make it to the wall, but Jon can on a non-guided horse?

I want to say almost every scene in the latest episode has some seriously flawed logic, or silly coincidence to look past.

Why was a white walker and his small platoon separated from their army in the first place?
How convenient that only 1 zombie solider was left standing?
If that giant hammer can break the ice...why not break it all around the island?
Can the soilders not swim? If so, why were they able to pull people down into the water?

the worst part of it all, is that the plan itself, to go beyond the wall and capture a zombie to show Cersei, is so stupid. Do you think she cares? She only cares about killing her opponents, and controlling their armies.

So all Dany needed to do was fly over the wall to see the army of the dead herself? This would have been WAY less risky then sending the king of the north in a suicide mission.

Next time, just fly over with a giant fishing net.

Sorry that rant went on too long. lol.