HBO's Game of Thrones | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

HBO's Game of Thrones

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess. For me Feast and Dance were both slogs to get through. But Game, Clash, and Storm are all great.

Yeah, Feast-Dance (it's basically one book) is rough--so long and yet so little happens, and his editor gets sloppy about correcting his worst indulgences. But by then I was hooked, so I'd read anything.

If you get a chance, the Dunk & Egg prequels are a lot of fun, manageable short story sized.

Do the books read well? I attempted reading Tolkien years ago and found it to be... difficult... clunky even.

You just have to be prepared for the possibility that the book series may go unfinished. I hate to be pessimistic, but Martin just turned 69 recently and has been working on the sixth book for 6 (soon to be 7) years now with no real sign of near-completion. While he may pull a rabbit out of his hat, his track record of late does not bode well.

Ok, all finished. This had to be the most predictable season thus far, although the Little Finger situation really took me by surprise.

So, will the dragon lady sire a child or childgon? Will the children be born half dead and half alive per Jon’s resur-erection?

And what will become of Jamie... poor, confused Jamie?

And after the, “you’re pregnant”, what are we to presume was the conversation between Tyrion and Cersei? That seemed a bit lacking on the writer’s part.

And after the, “you’re pregnant”, what are we to presume was the conversation between Tyrion and Cersei? That seemed a bit lacking on the writer’s part.

This was one of those times where it's hard to separate being a book reader and a show watcher. But in the books ...

There's multiple prophecies that hint at Tyrion (1) betraying Dani and (2) becoming King at some point. Also, a decade plus ago, when asked who favorite character is, GRRM said something to the effect of "Tyrion ... but he's the villain, villains are always the most interesting." So the hard cut in that scene and his look at the end of the show seem to be telegraphing an upcoming heel turn.

But in the books

Yeah, and Tyrion doesn’t yet know what is learned at the end of the season closer.

BTW, I attempted reading the first book but my poor little brain couldn’t handle the number of characters introduced or the many historic terms and references. I can hardly handle the character names that made it to the show!

I admire you who can parse such complex writing!

Yeah, and Tyrion doesn’t yet know what is learned at the end of the season closer.

BTW, I attempted reading the first book but my poor little brain couldn’t handle the number of characters introduced or the many historic terms and references. I can hardly handle the character names that made it to the show!

I admire you who can parse such complex writing!

It took me two or three chapters to get used to the writing style, but eventually your brain adapts. All the obscure historical references do give the books a more lived-in world feel.

And now i must admit something else and that is that I never saw the first season of the show until starting last night! I’ve been missing out on some important facts... notable so far is that I never knew how Bran was rendered cripple! Oops.

Other notables on the production front is that the first years soundtrack was synth. Too, the editing style wasn’t as self assured as it later became. When Ned kills the dire wolf and simultaneously Bran awakes from the coma... they FADE to black... rather than a cut to black. The fade really weakened the moment.

This was one of those times where it's hard to separate being a book reader and a show watcher. But in the books ...

There's multiple prophecies that hint at Tyrion (1) betraying Dani and (2) becoming King at some point. Also, a decade plus ago, when asked who favorite character is, GRRM said something to the effect of "Tyrion ... but he's the villain, villains are always the most interesting." So the hard cut in that scene and his look at the end of the show seem to be telegraphing an upcoming heel turn.

Only reason I don’t see that happening is that he’s too much of a fan favorite, so it’d take balls, something the writers and show runner left behind after season 4.

And now i must admit something else and that is that I never saw the first season of the show until starting last night! I’ve been missing out on some important facts... notable so far is that I never knew how Bran was rendered cripple! Oops.
He got shoved out of the window by Jamie during episode 1 or 2 of the entire thing after he saw him with Cersei.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Ok, I need help. Why did Ned Stark believe Jon Snow was his son? Did he have an affair with Elia Martell or his sister? And who was the woman bleeding to death after birth (as seen in Bran’s vision) Elia or Lyanna?

The bottom line is than Jon is the son of Lyanna and the snivling a-hole, Rhaeghar.

Or, did Ned take Snow as his son knowing full well that he was not?

Help me out!

The bottom line is than Jon is the son of Lyanna and the snivling a-hole, Rhaeghar.

Big debate in the fandom re: Rhaeghar, but it's possible to (sort of) cast him in a somewhat positive light. Knew from prophecy the Walkers were coming, knew the world would need a Prince That Was Promised to defeat them, did what he had to do to make that happen. Granted, that was secretly seducing a 15-year-old, which gets a lot of fans bent out of shape, but consistent with other ages in the book (remember Dani is 13 in the book when she's married off to Drogo--as my friend says, let's hope the FBI never gets a hold of GRRM's hard drive). He did post 3 of his best guys to protect her and their newborn son.

As for Jon Snow/Stark, Robert was killing off any Targaryians left. Remember he sends an assassin after Dani 14 years later. Throw in the fact that in Robert's head Rhaeghar raped his one true love--which, again, is a story contradicted by numerous source--Jon would have been dead if Robert even suspected he wasn't Ned's kid.

So, even Ned’s wife always believed that Jon was the product of an affair that Ned had. The show plays it as though she cannot stand Jon...I think.

:saywhat:

Yup- he told no one. He took the burden on for his sister and never told a soul.
If we've learned anything from GoT- if one person knows your secret, they'll use it against you. Related or otherwise.

Interestingly enough, he also always took credit for killing the badass swordsman Arthur Dayne as well, when he really didn't beat him.
Of course- that's all TV- that sequence was never written about in the book I believe.

I read a Vanity Fair article after posting here, that stated that in the books GRRM added another character who claimed to be Aegon Targaryen. I guess it was a long drawn out affair that producers/writers cut from the show as it served little to the bottom line and fact that JS was the real deal.

It’s a nifty article
Game of Thrones: Jon Snow’s Real Name Is Aegon Targaryen | Vanity Fair
Faegon!

Yeah, it’s large part of Dance which ends with Faegon in Westeros winning battles.

Reactions: Teebin
Does anyone know who ultimately has control of the GOT rights? HBO or George RR Martin? I'm still hoping for GOT presence in a Universal Park. I know the overall theme of it is quite dark, adult and violent but UC can make it work I'm sure. Obviously if LoTR actually materializes GOT is DOA.