Hell Fest | Inside Universal Forums

Hell Fest

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 21, 2013
Can't believe I couldn't find anything on the forums for this...it may look like a schlocky B-movie, but it's right up the alley for HHN fans.

I have heard that both of these movies were in production without any knowledge of the other. pure coincidence?

I have heard that both of these movies were in production without any knowledge of the other. pure coincidence?
It's not inconceivable. I think it's funnier than anything.

I enjoyed Blood Fest, but it embraced it's absurdity (it felt somewhat like Cabin in the Woods with its subversion efforts). Hell Fest feels far more serious and traditional.

I enjoyed Blood Fest, but it embraced it's absurdity (it felt somewhat like Cabin in the Woods with its subversion efforts). Hell Fest feels far more serious and traditional.
I ended up seeing Hell Fest, and I can confirm it does take itself seriously. That being said, while it can be generic, it was so much fun seeing the haunts and watching the characters get scared. I think the movie's mileage varies based on audiences who enjoy theme park haunts and those who could care less. For people on this board, it should be a mildly enjoyable diversion.

Reactions: TDBLMT

This is one of those way-too-obvious, "how has no one does this" big ideas that filmmakers have attempted for a number of years. ScareZone (2009) attempted the concept independently (and shot in Body Collectors '08 after the event ended!), but the finished product failed to find any distribution. Robert Eglund headlined a similar effort called The Funhouse Massacre (2015) that similarly never took off despite a fairly professional final film.

Hellfest appears to be the first film with this subject matter with a major backer and distribution. I think the issue is no one's been able to truly stick the landing - they lean entirely on the concept and fail to produce a satisfying suite of characters (both heroes and villains). Every attempt on this concept tends to make the most obvious choices with the most generic baddies.

Sooner or later, someone'll get it right...

I felt like Blood Fest stuck its landing, but benefitted from landing where you didn’t expect it to.

I felt like Blood Fest stuck its landing, but benefitted from landing where you didn’t expect it to.

I thought Hell House LLC from a few years ago was surprisingly effective, too, but neither film broke out of their niches. Hopefully they'll provide platforms for their filmmakers to take on projects that'll actually be seen.