Help needed about tickets from the UK :) | Inside Universal Forums

Help needed about tickets from the UK :)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 4, 2016
Hi all, long time lurker, mainly on the universal part (I know, I know)

Heading to Orlando on the 6th of September for 14 nights, MEGA excited, have been 3 or 4 times in the past but last time it was over 10 years ago.

Question is, I'm not sure what to do about tickets, I have the Option of getting Universal both parks, Busch Gardens, Seaworld and others (14 day) for £250 (Currently $332 Inc Taxes) or to do this and Disney Unlimited for 14 days for £568 ($754 Inc Taxes).

My Favorite place is Universal but the best waterparks seem to be at Disney and there are some 'Adult' rides I would love to re-visit but it is a mahooosive difference in price. Is there a way of buying a 3 day ticket when I get there or will it not be worth it?

p.s Anyone had experience of Thomson's so called free car hire?

Many thanks all :)

Jonny

Hey, welcome to the boards! :wave:

Unfortunately, Disney tickets aren't very accommodating outside of the standard 7/14 day passes you've already found. You can get a 2 day pass which permits one park per day (no hopping), but this does not include the water parks option. Those are £158 per adult (10+). I believe you can add the water park option to those tickets for an additional fee, but not 100% sure. Disney World Tickets | Orlando, Florida | Walt Disney World® Official Site Alternatively you could buy single day park tickets at the gate, but you'd be paying $100+ for a single day in the MK. However, this may fluctuate if the seasonal pricing structure is in place.

Car hire with Thomson, and with all the UK tour operators, isn't great. Normally the 'free' car is something so small your luggage won't even fit in the trunk so you end up upgrading at the desk, which can be steep. Also the 'free' hire does not include fully comprehensive insurance, meaning you could be liable in case of an accident. Again, this is something they try to up-sell at the hire desk on arrival so it is best to be prepared.

Last year I took out an annual excess policy with Direct Car Excess Insurance to cover multiple US trips in which I'd be driving. It was around £80 for the year, and provides adequate coverage should I get in an accident.

Alternatively, you could decline the 'free' car from Thomson and book your own hire car through a provider such as Alamo (Florida Car Rental - Car Hire Florida | Alamo Rent a Car The prices there include the comprehensive insurance cover and will be cheaper than an upgrade at the desk. Plus, you know that'll you have a vehicle big enough for your needs on arrival :)

Hope this was helpful!