HHN 15 vs 18’s story | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 15 vs 18’s story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2005 or 2008: Story (and why)

• Tales of Terror (Terra Cruentus)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Reflections of Fear (Bloody Mary and Legendary Truth)

• They’re both alright

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2021
This poll is dedicated to the veterans who went to HHN in a rather old era, the 2000s years (but if you haven’t, eh feel free to comment)

Simply put; which backstory for the events do you think was better, cooler, or least bad; the civilization that thrives on human blood and it’s Terra Queen (and Storyteller) for 2005’s Tales of Terror, or the story of a doctor gone mad and subsequently became Bloody Mary and a new team called Legendary Truth for 2008’s Reflections of Fear? And why do you think so? You decide.

Last edited:
How dare you make me choose between two of the best & iconic years that were excessively well put together. And 2008's LT wouldn't have happened had 2005 not been a success (which was done entirely out of A&D's pocket)

I'm choosing 2005 because I'm biased towards my first year of going. But it doesn't mean I actually dislike 2008, both years are equal to me.

To be fair, 2009 also had a pretty good deep-dive backstory built up around The Usher, Universal Palace Theatre, & mysteries connected to each house tracing back to the theatre. It was all integrated into the event as best they could, but fell a bit short after 2008.

Fear & Lady Luck's backstory build gets an honorable mention lol

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Any reason on these particular years specifically?
From what I remember from reading old HHN forums, these two were the most well regarded by the fans. Besides, the only year where it’s backstory (for the entire event) can match their depth is 2009 with the Universal Palacs Theater (currently my favorite) but no one really cared about that one.

Besides, the only year where it’s backstory (for the entire event) can match their depth is 2009 with the Universal Palacs Theater (currently my favorite) but no one really cared about that one.
*AHEM* I care!! My loyalty with the Universal Monsters shifted growing up (Sorry Drac, i discovered the other caped shadow lurker), but I'm a Phantom fanboy so The Usher was a "scream come true" since he also loved Phantom. He worked at a historic theatre, I ended up working at a historic theatre. Need I go on? :p

2009 could've been perfect with some tweaks, but it is what it is. Seriously though, the amount of high pitched squeeing that occurred when the teaser/flash page went up for the website. And then the reveal/promo pics. *Nostalgia Mode Activated*

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
*AHEM* I care!! My loyalty with the Universal Monsters shifted growing up (Sorry Drac, i discovered the other caped shadow lurker), but I'm a Phantom fanboy so The Usher was a "scream come true" since he also loved Phantom. He worked at a historic theatre, I ended up working at a historic theatre. Need I go on? :p

2009 could've been perfect with some tweaks, but it is what it is. Seriously though, the amount of high pitched squeeing that occurred when the teaser/flash page went up for the website. And then the reveal/promo pics. *Nostalgia Mode Activated*
In a way i find 2009’s backstory to be better than 2008’s. There’s just something more haunting to me about this theater and all these tragedies that took place. It’s a shame 2009’s website is the only one that’s not archived (although there used to be a site called “hhnforever.com” that had it) as of now. Although 2008’s story does make walking in the NY section of USF more disturbing…

Can't really compare the two years, or 3 if 2005 is included. They're just so vastly different & unique.

2005 - Dark fantasy
2008 - Urban Legend(ary) derived from truth (yea I said it)
2009 - Classic ghost story/murder mystery

This is also why they're the best years & always talked about in some regard. Having experienced all 3, it explains why I'm so cranky & judgey about the event nowadays lol

In a way i find 2009’s backstory to be better than 2008’s. There’s just something more haunting to me about this theater and all these tragedies that took place. It’s a shame 2009’s website is the only one that’s not archived (although there used to be a site called “hhnforever.com” that had it) as of now. Although 2008’s story does make walking in the NY section of USF more disturbing…

So I was planning on waiting a little longer to share this until it was cleaned up a little more but now's as good a time as any! With some help from @Ringwraith I was able to put together my own mirror of all of the HHN sites from years past, including 2009! It's more complete than HNN's copy as far as I can tell although it's still missing some files that seem to be lost to time. I'm actively figuring out the best way to archive the modern HHN sites and apps going forward.

The site is hhngraveyard.com.

Just to tease a little bit, the 2008 Legendary Truth site is probably my favorite. The Bloody Mary vault has two modes, one with a normal password, one with an insanely strict password and requirement that I'm not sure if anyone ever opened but I found decompiling the flash. Will share that here soon once I make it more accessible and can share it!

Should I give my thoughts on each years backstories even though I didn’t attend HHN (and thus didn’t get the chance to be really immersed in said stories)?

Just to tease a little bit, the 2008 Legendary Truth site is probably my favorite. The Bloody Mary vault has two modes, one with a normal password, one with an insanely strict password and requirement that I'm not sure if anyone ever opened but I found decompiling the flash. Will share that here soon once I make it more accessible and can share it!

Sweet! Can’t wait to see it; I’ve always wondered what those darn passwords were (didn’t know there were TWO).

Reactions: Galactus