1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN 29: Maze of the Year

Discussion in 'Haunted Houses' started by HHNManics, Oct 25, 2019.

?

What is the best maze of HHN - Orlando 2019?

1. Ghostbusters

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Yeti Terror of the Yukon

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Us

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Stranger Things

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Killer Klowns from Outer Space

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Graveyard Games

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  7. Universal Monsters

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  8. House of 1000 Corpses

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Nightingales Blood Pit

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  10. Depths of Fear

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. HHNManics

HHNManics Veteran Member

Discuss

2. Cwoolboy

Cwoolboy Veteran Member

It's a toss up between Graveyard Games and Universal Monsters for me.

Joel and SeventyOne like this.
  3. SpoopySkeletons

SpoopySkeletons Newcomer

Controversial opinion:

Strongest / best IP: Us

Strongest / best original: Monsters (idc that it’s technically an IP - it’s so different from a traditional IP house aka walking through exact scenes from the movie etc that it feels more original to me so I’m just going to stick with that)

amar831 likes this.
  4. itsabee

itsabee Rookie

Monsters is extraordinary in both its design and its actors’ passion and energy. I can’t think of much else like it.

The people there genuinely love being in this house, and I definitely see that in their actions while scaring. So much attention to detail went into the little things, like the hand-drawn diagrams of the Creature in Dr. Frankenstein’s lab that are tucked all the way back in the corner where they generally go unnoticed. The casting is very deliberate and specific as well, as they’ve already thought about the fact that the Mummy is frail because of the nature of him being a preserved corpse, so they won’t accept just anyone to play him; noticeably tall and thin is a requirement.

The scares go in places that no one else’s do this year more than once, with both the Wolfman and Quasimodo on harnesses to pull off amazing stunts. Even the scares that don’t require height are used impressively and in context, with three different Phantoms appearing around the basement of the opera house to simulate the book Phantom’s ability to navigate around the depths without being seen and appearing as a ghost, while the mirrors really throw you off. The costumes are pulled off so well, and the redesigns are actually unique and fun (did you know that the designs for the masks were inspired by the artwork seen on the outside of the building, not the other way around?). The soundtrack slaps. That’s it. It just does.

Most of all, it’s genuinely scary! There’s nothing light in tone about this house, and nothing cheesy that lightens the mood a bit. They’re aggressive and it shows.

Anyway, y’all, I’m a little obsessed with Monsters.

Grabnar, dmmgp2000, MrBlonde and 5 others like this.
  5. Spaulding

Spaulding Member

Your enthusiasm for this house is great. I have enjoyed your reports in the main HHN thread as well. That aside, I agree that it's a fantastic house and also my favourite of 2019.

6. itsabee

itsabee Rookie

Thank you! I’ve made several new friends just by striking up conversation in line for it, and my already-established friends that have gone through with me love to watch the personal interactions I tend to get! I’m actually trying to meet up with a user from the forum so we can do the house together before the season ends! I adore Monsters and I like sharing what I learn!

dmmgp2000 and MrBlonde like this.
  7. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Our fav or what will win the internal competition?

Mine: Graveyard
    Theirs: Ghostbusters or Monsters (I’m leaning Monsters)

SeventyOne likes this.
  8. Cup_Of_Coffee

Cup_Of_Coffee Veteran Member

This was my first HHN, we didn't do all 10 houses but heres mine: Universals Classic Monsters. Not even close. I know its what others have said but just the environment, scare actors, story, twists, overall it was perfect. I likely won't do a haunted house that great ever again

dmmgp2000 and SeventyOne like this.
  9. HHNManics

HHNManics Veteran Member

What you consider to be your personal Maze of the year.

Joe likes this.
  10. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Monsters is the perfect blend of creepy sets that hide scares, interesting effects, and the best cast this year (which is saying something, Nightingales, Games, Yeti and HoTC also very strong casts). Throw in that classic Halloween feel, not just my HotY--on a short list with Halloween and maybe Winter's Night/Bloodengutz for House of the Decade.

FWIW, after 20 votes, current #2/#3 (Games/Yeti) also my my #2/#3. Usually feel like I'm a bit off from the conventional wisdom but not this year apparently.

11. PenguinCowboy

PenguinCowboy Newcomer

This was a very hard tossup between several this year. Legitimately Yeti, Universal Monsters, Graveyard Games, and Nightengales all were top tier for me!

The one that edges them out though was definitely Yeti, and I know this is a very "specific to me" reasoning. I'm a set design fanatic, and one of my favorite houses of all time was (and I know this is random) Roanoke from 24. It just felt so authentic to the colonial setting, and I could have spent forever inside! To me, Yeti felt like a spiritual (chilly) successor with the rustic flavor in the sets, and if there was one house I could have just sat in and lived in the environment, it would be this one!

Then the scares themselves, while not the best for a conga line, were some of my favorite types, with a little scene being built up around a lot of the kills in the first half. They were very cinematic, and felt almost as if they had been ripped right from an actual movie script (with their setup/punchline structure!). Not to mention I just have an innate fear of big, loud, fast moving creatures, haha.

I know it won't be everyone's favorite, but I'll stand by my (ape) man!

JMalez and JunoSynth like this.
  12. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

That's because they're the only 3 good houses this year.

Monsters is a runaway #1 for me. Graveyard could have been, but I feel like it was missing a good 4 or 5 actors, making some of the rooms feel empty. Yeti was great, but a little too repetitive.

13. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

Same, Graveyard Games had better scares, but the Production quality on Monsters takes it over the edge for me. That's my pick.

14. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Yeti has some empty spots and long resets.

15. Captain Tragedy

Captain Tragedy Premium Member

My review has monsters at #1, but the more I think about it, the more I just absolutely love the atmosphere, story, scares and just overall terrifyingness of Graveyard Games. I can still remember just shaking after leaving GG the first time. Of course, I'm thinking I could probably change my vote to Monsters tomorrow, these two are just that amazing.

16. coastercritic99

coastercritic99 Newcomer

Same here. Monsters was a great house, but I never really had a great run through it so that probably affects my opinion. But the greatness of Graveyard Games just puts it at #1 for me. It was just so atmospheric and creepy and well done. US is right behind GG on my list, for the same reason.

SpoopySkeletons likes this.
  17. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Results of this poll (sans Depths) warm my heart. :)

Alright, here's my attempt at rankings.

#1--Nightingales

#2--Yeti (razor thin with Depths, my run Monday night BARELY put it ahead)
    #3--Depths of Fear

#4--Graveyard Games

#5--Killer Klownz (THIS is how you do a comedy house. Looking at you, Ghostbusters.)

#6--Universal Monsters

#7--Us (finale singlehandedly vaults it over HoTC and ST)

#8--House of 1000 Corpses (razor thin with ST)
    #9--Stranger Things

#10--Ghostbusters (I bought the hype but after a repeat viewing...this property does not work as a book report house--could've worked as a scarezone, or if they had been allowed to get creative with the house.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  18. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

Corpses is still my favorite. It's my all time favorite horror movie, which probably colors things.

horrornights789 and SeventyOne like this.
  19. Tryston Blankenship

Tryston Blankenship Rookie

It’s so hard to only pick one this year! Unlike last year I was able to attend the event way more times then last year and have been able to get a solid run in all of these houses! If you asked me at the beginning I would have said US. That cast in the beginning gave it their all and it was just like being in the movie and made for a great house. Nightingales improved so much over the event from being easily the worst to top 3 if not higher!! However there’s no doubt in my mind that Monsters should be house of the year! I’ve never had a bad run through this house and the cast gives it their all each and every night! The wolfman section is easily my favorite scene in any of the houses I’ve ever done and can’t think of a simple way to make the house better then what it already is!!!

SeventyOne likes this.
  20. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

Nightingales wins for me because I love the franchise and the cast has improved so much. Literally night and day compared to the beginning of the event. Hopefully it does well enough for a 3rd maze.

That said I think Monsters, Graveyard, or Corpses deserves it since they’ve been the most consistent. Corpses is easily the best MiB house so it deserves credit for that

OhHaiInternet95 likes this.