HHN...Metaverse?! | Inside Universal Forums

HHN...Metaverse?!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love if they had professional grade walkthroughs to experience HHN in VR after the respective year is done. Content for VR and preserves the experience of going, but creates something for those who cannot go themselves.

Reactions: TylerG
As long as its done well - I'm all for it.

The bigger news to me is that Comcast/NBCUniversal sees HHN as a marketable brand nowadays that could easily be used for future collaborations like films, shows, etc.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Cygnus
Didn't see another good thread for this but, there are 2 new job postings for "Associate Project Manager - Immersive" and "Producer, Creative - Immersive."

The description of one references the term "Universal Destinations and Experiences Digital Destinations" and both seem to want people with a background in gaming and VR under 'Digital Technology'.

Could this be for more Metaverse stuff?

Associate Project Manager - Immersive
Producer, Creative – Immersive

Marking this as vaporware.

You know when someone thinks they invited something but they didn't, they just made something that exists already but worse? Metaverse is to "work" work what Fortnite/FFIXV/etc.

Also it sucks.

No one out of the 20 Million Quest owners use Horizon. However, that doesn't mean VR sucks. What sucks is that Meta has almost irreparably damaged the reputation of VR with their Metaverse branding. Almost no one uses a VR headset for work, they are more meant for gaming and experiences. An HHN experience or something like it in VR could be cool.

Universal already has some simple experiences in virtual reality including being able to experience the BTTF ride from the DeLorean and a HRRR experience. As someone who never rode the BTTF ride, I found that extremely cool.

No one out of the 20 Million Quest owners use Horizon. However, that doesn't mean VR sucks. What sucks is that Meta has almost irreparably damaged the reputation of VR with their Metaverse branding. Almost no one uses a VR headset for work, they are more meant for gaming and experiences. An HHN experience or something like it in VR could be cool.

Universal already has some simple experiences in virtual reality including being able to experience the BTTF ride from the DeLorean and a HRRR experience. As someone who never rode the BTTF ride, I found that extremely cool.

I’m talking about the Metaverse the product because that’s what the rumors point to for this. I agree expanding into VR is not a bad idea but at some point I have to just assume reporters know what they’re talking about and they want to do Metaverse stuff and not just a VR app on PSVR2.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I’m talking about the Metaverse the product because that’s what the rumors point to for this. I agree expanding into VR is not a bad idea but at some point I have to just assume reporters know what they’re talking about and they want to do Metaverse stuff and not just a VR app on PSVR2.
I do see how The Office was rumored for this if it was simply for work purposes with a Meta Quest Pro or something, but there's simply no way to do HHN as something that's meant to be a part of their dumb plan to get the whole country working in AR someday.

Meta very confusingly refers to their headset business as the Metaverse, but when they use that term, it still can be a game or experience. Metaverse is a very dumb marketing ploy and now something where they've spent so much on R&D that as a company they have no choice really but to keep going and hope things work out. This is the thing Zuck is hanging is legacy on (as he sees Facebook is dying slowly) and it's a very risky bet.

I do see how The Office was rumored for this if it was simply for work purposes with a Meta Quest Pro or something, but there's simply no way to do HHN as something that's meant to be a part of their dumb plan to get the whole country working in AR someday.

Meta very confusingly refers to their headset business as the Metaverse, but when they use that term, it still can be a game or experience. Metaverse is a very dumb marketing ploy and now something where they've spent so much on R&D that as a company they have no choice really but to keep going and hope things work out. This is the thing Zuck is hanging is legacy on (as he sees Facebook is dying slowly) and it's a very risky bet.

Ok lets take it back a few more steps. I think our confusion is with the Metaverse because the main example of the Metaverse is Decentraland...

That's the Metaverse, and as Dan says in the video VR is NOT a part of it anymore. So last year's "NFTs" and any reporting on the Metaverse is distinct from reporting on VR applications, so that's where I think our confusion is coming from.

Metaverse - shitty blockchain post-capitalism nightmare
VR - neat stuff you see in stereoscopic vision from a gaming rig

I think Universal should be investing in gaming - VR included. I think they should avoid all Metaverse stuff like the plague.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok lets take it back a few more steps. I think our confusion is with the Metaverse because the main example of the Metaverse is Decentraland...

That's the Metaverse, and as Dan says in the video VR is NOT a part of it anymore. So last year's "NFTs" and any reporting on the Metaverse is distinct from reporting on VR applications, so that's where I think our confusion is coming from.

Metaverse - shitty blockchain post-capitalism nightmare
VR - neat stuff you see in stereoscopic vision from a gaming rig

I think Universal should be investing in gaming - VR included. I think they should avoid all Metaverse stuff like the plague.

I get the gist and I agree on your Metaverse vs. VR analysis, although the most popular VR headsets do not use a gaming rig but are Meta's own standalone Quest devices (that have the option to connect to PC).

Either way, my main point is Meta as a company still markets the metaverse alongside their VR headsets, specifically the Meta Quest Pro made for the Prosumer market. They are very confusing with it at times making it hard to tell exactly what a project is until i'm actually seeing it released in my headset and i'm someone who follows VR closely!

I think that their Metaverse stuff is a waste of money and waste of resources and they don't spend enough money on games and experiences as a company. Meta has acquired 8 or 9 VR gaming studios and since acquiring them they have released zero new games. They just bought these studios to own extremely popular games and fitness apps and don't seem interested in making new content which is why something like the PSVR2 is refreshing since they are purely focused on gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkscope Joe