Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN XXI: Most Anticipated House

What is your MOST anticipated house of HHN 21

• Nightingales: Blood Prey

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • The IN-Between

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • The Forsaken

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Nevermore: The Madness of Poe

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • H.R. BloodenGutz Presents: Holidays of Horror

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Saws and Steam: Into the Machine

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The Thing

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Winters Night: The Haunting of Hawthore Cemetary

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - Nevermore: The Madness of Poe
2 - The Forsaken
3 - Winter's Night: The Haunting of Hawthore Cemetery
4 - Saws and Steam: Into the Machine
5 - Nightingales: Blood Prey
6 - The Thing
7 - The IN-Betwen
8 - H.R. BloodenGutz Presents: Holidays of Horror

Can someone describe what there's in 3D haunted houses? I mean, walking through a place it's already in 3D. I don't get it... :shrug:

Can someone describe what there's in 3D haunted houses? I mean, walking through a place it's already in 3D. I don't get it... :shrug:

You wear the glasses, and the walls are painted with florescent paint, which makes the things painted seem three dimensional. The scareactors also wear costumes painted like that, and stand still to blend in, then jump out at you.

That's how they've been before when I've seen 3-D houses.

^You ware the 3-D glasses and they allow the scareactors to hide in the backround, that is usually painted like their costume, and allow the actors to blend into the scenery.
Some people don't like em but I do...

Are they seriously gonna give everyone a pair of 3D glasses? That's gotta cost em a pretty penny! It sounds interesting, but 3D glasses could also be a hassle... I guess I'll have to try it first before I form an opinion on it.

Only two weeks left till HHN XXI! :happy:

This is what a 3-D haunt will be like.
[video=youtube;ckFp-1ddZgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFp-1ddZgc[/video]
The house got great reviews and is coming back for Cali's HHN again this year.

This is what a 3-D haunt will be like.
[video=youtube;ckFp-1ddZgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFp-1ddZgc[/video]
The house got great reviews and is coming back for Cali's HHN again this year.

That looks like a cool house, though I can't tell the 3D elements from the video. But, I guess that's what I'd need the glasses for :p I'm eager to see what the 3D stuff adds to the experience :) And I actually quite like the spinning tunnel of sickdom, so that's a positive for IN-between. The tunnel just like it at Ripley's museum is probably the only thing that got me excited at that attraction.

The original Thing is my favorite house ever so naturally I'm really excited about that but Nightingales and Forsaken might be the ones I'm looking forward to most. Seems like a solid line-up this year entirely.

300418_10150309642563233_126469058232_8061028_2096907090_n.jpg

^ "There’s a reason you haven’t heard about the fourth ship of Columbus's fateful voyage... but you will. The crew will make themselves known after spending hundreds of years trapped in a watery grave in... The Forsaken." ^

That looks awesome! :D

So after seeing every house at employee preview night, I will go ahead and review them. Before I begin, it should be said that none of the houses were heavy on scare-factors and relied more on aesthetics. Also, most houses tended to have fairly weak finale scenes and I saw no blatant or direct links to Lady Luck. Considering this was employee preview night, houses always have room to improve and often do. My opinions are not set in stone.

Nightngales: This beauty wastes no time and throws you straight into the action. That said, however, the banshees do transition slowly into more demonized forms as the house progresses which is nice seeing them with various looks. The scenes get more and more intense the deeper into the trenches you go. This house has some really neat effects, typical of your soundstage houses. There isn't really anything negative to say about this house other than it, like most houses, tie in very loosely (if at all) to the theme of luck. I did notice a German plane wing in a scene so perhaps we're in the unlucky side's trench? Anyway, I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

In Between: This house is in between great and awesome. The 3D is utilized to the fullest and actually does tie in (in a sense) with lady luck. The premise is that a college kid got a hold of a paranormal boardgame that wisps him into a dimension of surreal and monstrous beings. You begin in his dorm room and, taking a chapter straight from the "Dead Exposure" handbook, you end in his dorm room... only the other-worldly creatures are now unleashed implying the human player lost the game and hence, Lady Luck did her thing. I cannot express enough how surprisingly awesome this house was. 8 out of 10.

H.R. Bloodengutz: The queue video was funny, staying true to the recent tradition of goofy B-houses in this spot. You walk through a series of films shown as part of the homicidal TV host, H.R. Bloodngutz's, horror marathon--each selected film themed to a different holiday. You will experience scenes from such made up films as Ho-Ho-Homicide and Feaster Bunny (though, much to my disappointment, the Feaster Bunny himself did not make an appearance). Scary? Heck no. Hilarious? You bet. I dare you not to giggle at the shotgun-wielding, maniacal elves. 7.5 out of 10.

The Thing: There were really no surprises in this house. They had elements of The Thing throughout the past four years of HHN so you know the score. It is cold. There are monsters. Things get gory. That said, The Thing still was a very fun house. There were a good number of animatronic Things that were pretty thrilling and, in contrast, guys and gals with loooud guns were opening fire. What was neat is that the facility towards the ending looks almost alien in its own right strengthening ones anticipation (assuming they had any) for the up coming film and where they might go with it. Oh, and there is real snow! 7.5 out of 10.

Winter's Night: This was not the epic I had hoped it would be but it was by no means bad. I had solid themeing and was sprinkled with some nifty special effects. There was a grave yard scene that uses force perspective to add depth which was cool. As far as the highly anticipated Weeping Angels go... there are only two which are in the very first scene (and only one that animates). This was a pretty big bummer. It was kind of a faceless house over all. Fun but faceless. I would have preferred to have a consistent baddie throughout the house or something to tie it all together. At any rate, this was the most beautiful-looking house by far. The set pieces are to die for. 7 out of 10. On an unrelated note, some troll drew a Mickey face on the front of the snow-covered stage coach. I LOLed.

Saws'NSteam: The premise is the same as the street. You are in a steampunk society where water is scarce. You enter a company called Horizon who claims to have found a (profitable) solution the water problem--by duping people into their factory and extracting the water from their bodies. Holy crap are the effects cool. There are water tanks with body parts floating around, buzz saws, mobile spiked walls, etc. There really wasn't as much saws as there was steam but still it was an interesting house. More to look at than anything else (kind of like Saw was). Yet another 7 out of 10.

The Forsaken: There was a large open scene that looked really cool because you're so used to mazes only shuffling your through tight quarters. Also, there is a part where the flooring slants up which is fun. Those are the few and only pros. Unfortunately, the rest is a bust. All the zombie sailors wear the same mask with bright, glowing eyes causing not only mass redundancy but alerts you to there presence from a mile away. It's almost impossible for them to scare you because those damned light-up eyes. The whole house felt flat. I got the feeling I was walking in circles in some parts just because there wasn't enough scene variation. Sadly, the Forsucken gets a 4 out of 10.

Nevermore: I love the idea of falling into the madness of Poe but I hate the idea of Poe coming with me. Scareactors literally wear a Poe-fashioned rubber forehead, hair, and mustache and join you for every other scene of this house. It gets down right dopey after a while. There were some scenes that were pulled off well like Tell-Tale Heart and Masque of the Red Death but most were really lack-luster. The Raven scene, for instance, has you walking down the hallway facing a giant window where outside sits a tree full of fake, lifeless ravens. Along the way three scareactors in giant, ridiculous crow suits lower their heads at you. Not cool, not scary, just plain silly. This was the biggest disappointment of the night for me, as I suppose it might be for many. This Poedunk house gets a 3.5 out of 10.

Thanks for the full report! I've been reading so many mixed things about the event so far. EDIT: I mean each individual house. Everyone seems to loves the collection of houses this year. But there are some houses people have sworn by that others have been meh about.

But from what I've read around forums/Facebook/Twitter, people seem to dig The In-Between & The Thing the most. The fact that The Thing is getting such great reviews makes me happy. I was so bummed that I missed out in 2007.

Since the site reveal, my "anticipation" list has changed quite a bit based on the vague things I've seen and heard. So here it is now:

1- The In-Between (Original spot #6)
2- The Thing (Original spot #4)
3- H.R. Bloodengutz (Original spot #2)
4- Nevermore (Original spot #1)
5- Nightingales (Original spot #3)
6- The Foresaken (Original spot #7)
7- Saws N Steam (Original spot #8)
8- Winter's Night (Original spot #5)

Last edited:
H.R. Bloodengutz: The queue video was funny, staying true to the recent tradition of goofy B-houses in this spot. You walk through a series of films shown as part of the homicidal TV host, H.R. Bloodngutz's, horror marathon--each selected film themed to a different holiday. You will experience scenes from such made up films as Ho-Ho-Homicide and Feaster Bunny (though, much to my disappointment, the Feaster Bunny himself did not make an appearance). Scary? Heck no. Hilarious? You bet. I dare you not to giggle at the shotgun-wielding, maniacal elves. 7.5 out of 10.

I guess it depends which cast you saw last night because I went in 3 times and the Bunny came out twice.