Hogwarts Express ticketing logistics | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Hogwarts Express ticketing logistics

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They can advertise that the Hogwarts Express train will take you to the entrance of the Harry Potter section of the other park. Once you arrive, you'll naturally need a ticket to be admitted to that other park.

This is exactly my thinking...the theme park geeks like us will know that this is no ordinary train..the casual public will just see it as a means of transportation if you have a two park ticket.

I am positive that every cashier will be trying to upsell the experience to buy the two park pass.

Saying it causes the same confusion is incorrect. People will definitely be confused on why they will have to "re-ride" the train, instead of just staying on board and going round trip.

Keeping the HE as a two park pass is the smartest way to handle this new ride/transporation system.

So you don't think people will be confused when they see an attraction entrance sign, wait time sign, etc and when they go to enter are told that they don't have the correct pass to ride this particular ride? It is going to be on the maps (while there will be verbiage, people don't read that stuff) and everything. People pay to get into Uni or IOA and they are going to walk up and expect to be able to ride EVERY ride in that particular park. Sorry, this method will cause just as much confusion as having to ride it twice. I think this scenario will cause more complaints at guest services in the end. Because if they have to ride a second time, they may complain, but then when it is a new experience (new SL) they will be like, wow, that was worth it and not go to Guest services. But the people that NEVER get to ride a ride on a map of the park they paid to get into? They will go to guest services.

People that plan on spending two days at Uni (one in each park) will be an additional $20 to just go on HE. That is pretty expensive for ONE ride. I can see that causing people to complain too.

Last edited:
I didn't say people won't be confused...just less confused then if they allowed single park people on as well. At this point they will be stopped at the turnstiles, they won't even get near the ride qeue. Im sure there will be a HUGE sign that says Hogwarts for 2 day park holders only! and the cashiers will specifically tell everyone that enters the park and buys a ticket. They will most likely be forced to decline the 2 day pass, just like when you purchase a ticket at Disney and have to decline the "Park Hopper".

I'll probably take some heat for this one but...

the absolute easiest solution would be to only sell 2 park tickets. Just pick a date and only sell two park passes from then on. You would of course honor any 1 park ticket holders to both parks until they eventually fade away. 2 park tickets aren't much more expensive than 1 park passes at this point anyway. Not many tourists travel all the way to Orlando and only do ONE universal park. A lot of locals have APs anyway...

I'll probably take some heat for this one but...

the absolute easiest solution would be to only sell 2 park tickets. Just pick a date and only sell two park passes from then on. You would of course honor any 1 park ticket holders to both parks until they eventually fade away. 2 park tickets aren't much more expensive than 1 park passes at this point anyway. Not many tourists travel all the way to Orlando and only do ONE universal park. A lot of locals have APs anyway...

For a family of four it will cost them an additional $80 to do the same vacation if they do this. So a family of four plans to do one day at each park, so they get the two day single park tickets. Spend one day at IOA and one day at Studios. Pretty reasonable and what I would do. Why do I need to hop back and forth each day? That might be a hard pill for some families to swallow.

For a family of four it will cost them an additional $80 to do the same vacation if they do this. So a family of four plans to do one day at each park, so they get the two day single park tickets. Spend one day at IOA and one day at Studios. Pretty reasonable and what I would do. Why do I need to hop back and forth each day? That might be a hard pill for some families to swallow.

Valid point... Still the additional $80 is cheaper than the same vacation at Disney. I know Universal isn't Disney... yada yada yada. But they are slowly reaching Disney's level of demand with all the buzz from the boy wizard.

If Uni is smart, they will let people get on the train in one park, then when they step off the train in the other park, have windows or great visibility of all the Harry Potter stuff beyond the train station, making people want to leave the train station and explore the rest of it. Then people will be eager and willing to upgrade their tickets on the spot. Think carrot not vinegar. The wait for the train ride back would be another incentive. Just think of the convo, "Oh, honey, look it's 30 minutes to get back on the train to head back, why don't we just go ahead and get the upgrade so we can see the rest?" Uh huh. Exactly.

there are a number of ways that Universal could have done this..and I think they picked the best option.

You think paying an extra $20 per ticket is bad...have you seen the cost of express tickets on certain HHN peak nights? It's double the cost of the actual ticket!!..and people still buy them up.

Giving the 2 park holders an incentive (an exclusive ride!) is smart on a business perspective, and will definitly sell more 2 park passes.