Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
In massive Breaking News, Hong Kong Disneyland will be undergoing a massive revitalization of their Hong Kong theme park; that is being reported at a whopping 1.4 Billion Dollars.

The news has just broken this morning, with multiple lands/attractions announced and for the first time; a replacing of a castle.

They have also announced themed lands to both Frozen AND Marvel themed attractions; with one being an Ant Man shooting Dark Ride that is presumed to be replacing the Buzz Lightyear attraction.

marvel-themed-area-800x285@2x.jpg

marvel-super-hero-attraction-800x445@2x.jpg

frozen-themed-area-800x364@2x.jpg

The timeline seems to consist as this..

2018: Ant-Man Shooting Dark Ride to Replace Buzz Lightyear/New Show
2019: New Castle to replace the original one at HKDL
2020: Frozen
2023: Expansion of Marvel to Replace Autopia

What do you think of the exciting things happening to Hong Kong Disneyland? What are you the most curious to see out of this? Comment down below!!

Wow, actually looks pretty exciting. This new content, plus existing things like Mystic Manor make Hong Kong Disneyland actually look appealing to me for the first time. Maybe in a few years once they finish the overhaul, I'll check it out.

Frozen appears and sounds like the rejected TDS version, which isn't bad but should be considered when mentioning this. Marvel land replacing Tomorrowland is interesting bit of development and I wonder if all Timorrowlands will disappear now (excluding WDW and maybe DL).

Wow. I never really thought I needed to visit HKDL, but this changes my mind.

Interesting how there's no Star Wars additions being made.

Frozen appears and sounds like the rejected TDS version, which isn't bad but should be considered when mentioning this. Marvel land replacing Tomorrowland is interesting bit of development and I wonder if all Timorrowlands will disappear now (excluding WDW and maybe DL).
Is Tomorrowland entirely gone at HKDL? It looks like Space Mountain is still there.

Now that's what you call concept art, looks fab. Spirit called this over on magic a bit back but most pooh poohed it, looks like he was on the money this time.

EDIT:- Seems Tom Amity called this and spirit pooh poohed it along with others, looks like he was wrong again.

Interesting news indeed, so many questions but I will start with this one............

Where is the money coming from? is HKDL fully owned by Disney or is it part ownership therefore costs will be split?

Last edited:
I'm curious if the other Buzz's around the world (save for MK) get replaced with Ant-Man.
The DLP one can go, but after next years anniversary when there might be some budget that isn't being spent on just painting everything!

Now that's what you call concept art, looks fab. Spirit called this over on magic a bit back but most pooh poohed it, looks like he was on the money this time.

EDIT:- Seems Tom Amity called this and spirit pooh poohed it along with others, looks like he was wrong again.

Interesting news indeed, so many questions but I will start with this one............

Where is the money coming from? is HKDL fully owned by Disney or is it part ownership therefore costs will be split?
Part ownership. Hong Kong government majority owner. Disney owns 47%.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to see DL keep their Buzz with DCA getting that Ant-Man attraction..

Most likely, it would go in Buzz at DLR. I can't see Disney adding a 3rd shooter ride or replacing Toy Story Mania, which would be wildly inconsistent with the rest of Paradise Pier.

I was planning on visiting HKDL next year but not if the park's going to be under tarps. This is great news for the park which was already shaping up nicely with the recent additions, but another sad example of Disney opening parks on the cheap and having to fix them later for what should be the price of a whole new one.