Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Hong Kong Disneyland $1.4 Billion Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
THEY ARE LITERALLY JUST REBUILDING MALESTROM. This blew my mind. After all the issues and low capacity they just don't care. WOW.

Here's the full presentation.

Comments

To me, I had to watch it again to understand that.

Why in the hell would they make a HUGE mistake like that. Is it because doing an actual High Capacity Dark Ride that's simple in scale and not expensive being too hard for them? Because, when looking at Universal; they have done well with small budgets.

And it's a real shame too, because Frozen in my opinion can lead to some interesting concepts for a true Dark Ride instead of going to the porting status. Either way, if DL gets Frozen; I wouldn't be a damned bit shocked that it happens again for them.

To me, I had to watch it again to understand that.

Why in the hell would they make a HUGE mistake like that. Is it because doing an actual High Capacity Dark Ride that's simple in scale and not expensive being too hard for them? Because, when looking at Universal; they have done well with small budgets.

And it's a real shame too, because Frozen in my opinion can lead to some interesting concepts for a true Dark Ride instead of going to the porting status. Either way, if DL gets Frozen; I wouldn't be a damned bit shocked that it happens again for them.

This is something I think Universal don't get enough credit for. They have zero problems demolishing a building and creating something completely new in a speedy and cost effective manor with little interruption to the surrounding areas.

There's no lines at Hong Kong except for holiday weeks. Even Mystic Manor & Grizzly are usually walk ons. So I doubt they're concerned about capacity. Capacity is not much of an issue when your park is relatively empty.

Reactions: tankart150
Considering HKDL pretty much only just got TSPL, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point, this is pretty big just from the perspective of the investment. The castle looks great, and will be particularly so given the natural backdrop which surrounds the Hong Kong park. Ant-Man looks interesting.

This is something I think Universal don't get enough credit for. They have zero problems demolishing a building and creating something completely new in a speedy and cost effective manor with little interruption to the surrounding areas.

And to top it off, some of their biggest projects have gone for lesser budgets than what Disney does with their bloating of budgets.

And to top it off, it seems like that the Castle of HKDL won't be demolished but instead just added upon the already existing structure; which may add even more insult to injury. While I love the asthetics of the expansions, especially Frozen; this is something that I find sad and depressing to see from a company like Disney.

Someone over at Magic (I believe it was Spirit) mentioned of these changes a few weeks ago. Basically the reason for getting rid of the small Sleeping Beauty replica Castle is that they became a bit jealous after Shanghai built a monolithic castle.

The rest of the additions are much for the same reasons (even though they are desperately needed anyway), but it is kind of interesting how a Disney park seemingly lit a fire under another Disney parks ass.

Maybe having both so close won't be the worst thing after all.

Reactions: Scott W.
Someone over at Magic (I believe it was Spirit) mentioned of these changes a few weeks ago. Basically the reason for getting rid of the small Sleeping Beauty replica Castle is that they became a bit jealous after Shanghai built a monolithic castle.

The rest of the additions are much for the same reasons (even though they are desperately needed anyway), but it is kind of interesting how a Disney park seemingly lit a fire under another Disney parks ass.

Maybe having both so close won't be the worst thing after all.

I'd like to say having competition is good for Disney improvement but look at Orlando... :look:

Reactions: Cheezbat
I'd like to say having competition is good for Disney improvement but look at Orlando... :look:

And to be truthfully honest, Disney's competition in the east when it comes to HKDL is the DPR division itself. You have an brand new park with multiple high end attractions that will be expanding in the future along with Japan having two amazing theme parks with one of the worlds best themed environments.

Along with Universal Beijing and Japan bringing in large amounts of people and the wanting of other companies to seek into the Chinese fortune in theme parks; Disney's worst enemy to me, is itself.

Reactions: Cheezbat
From what little info was released on the new Frozen land, I could swear it said that there were going to be 2 rides. Perhaps they're getting BOTH the FEA boat ride and Tokyo's trackless?

Reactions: rioriz
It's not the Frozen ever after ride, this is an entire land. They're also completely tearing down and rebuilding their castle, which can't be cheap.

I doubt it costs more to remodel a "castle" than it costs to build a volcano in Orlando. They really need to look at what they get for their money and not accept cheap for big bucks. (NFL!)

It's not $1.4 Billion it is $11 billion. And they are not tearing down the castle. They are just adding a new wing.....straight up.
There's no way this is $11b... the costs just don't add up in any way. I mean hell, SHDL cost like $5b as an entire park, DTD area and hotels.

Are we actually sure they're tearing down the castle? Because that concept art kind of makes it look to me like they might actually be building onto the existing castle...
It has been pointed out to me that they are in fact just adding on, so I was wrong there.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT