Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hunchback of Notre Dame (Live-Action)

I somewhat wish..that this would get the Cinderella/Jungle Book treatment instead of the Lion King/Beauty treatment.

Especially, considering the material of the original source, and what the broadway version differed from the original animated film.

I somewhat wish..that this would get the Cinderella/Jungle Book treatment instead of the Lion King/Beauty treatment.

Especially, considering the material of the original source, and what the broadway version differed from the original animated film.

By that, do you mean to get rid of the music and just have it as a straight forward film?

By that, do you mean to get rid of the music and just have it as a straight forward film?

In a way, yes.

If music must be involved, use it to accompany the film; but not to make it as much of a musical as the original film was. If I'm not mistaken; that was also the original plan for Mulan, before they changed due to backlash of that.

In a way, yes.

If music must be involved, use it to accompany the film; but not to make it as much of a musical as the original film was. If I'm not mistaken; that was also the original plan for Mulan, before they changed due to backlash of that.
The movies simply are going to make more money being musicals in most cases. I mean just take Beauty and the Beast for example. It made over $500M domestically and North of $1B WW. In some cases it makes sense to do the live-action without the musical elements, but people love Disney musicals so it's a tough choice to leave the music out.

In a way, yes.

I feel like for me, I'm a bit split on that idea. While I definitely think it would make an excellent film all on its own without the music, I also REALLY like the music in Hunchback. Especially, Hellfire.

Oh and for Mulan, it'll be a mix of both (I worked on it while they were filming in New Zealand). As of right now, it's not a musical (like the animated version is) BUT the music is in the film to an extent.

I'm in. And I hope they hew closer to the Broadway. Not too close though.

Songs that matter -

"Bells of Notre Dame" (natch)
"Stay In Here/Out There"
"Topsy Turvy"
"God Help the Outcasts" (with German Quasi verse)
"Hellfire"
"Someday" (from the Broadway)

If they stick with that, I'll be thrilled.