Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

I would’ve preferred Disney. Illumination’s only really good movie was their first with the rest being ok to meh. As long as they don’t do anything outlandish like getting “real actors” to voice the characters it shouldn’t be too bad I guess.

I'd disagree. Despicable Me 1 is their best, but Secret Life of Pets and Sing are both really good. But they do something Disney doesn't do, and that's make great cartoons. Mario is a cartoon, not a deep emotional story. It fits Illumination better IMO

I'd disagree. Despicable Me 1 is their best, but Secret Life of Pets and Sing are both really good.
They have story issues from rushing pre-production but still great products. Given another 6 months of writing they could’ve been instant classics. Still decent though. Love the Pets characters a lot and would love more sequels with them.

They have story issues from rushing pre-production but still great products. Given another 6 months of writing they could’ve been instant classics. Still decent though. Love the Pets characters a lot and would love more sequels with them.

Considering Nintendo will allegedly be involved in the creative process, I'll definitely be interested in seeing how this turns out

Should've been Dreamworks (another Universal company). Illumination's only good movie is Sing; the rest range from mediocre to downright awful. That said, Nintendo probably has a tight leash over the movie, so I'm not totally concerned.

Should've been Dreamworks (another Universal company). Illumination's only good movie is Sing; the rest range from mediocre to downright awful. That said, Nintendo probably has a tight leash over the movie, so I'm not totally concerned.

One thing of note, is that it seems that Miyamoto may have a role in the film as a producer, and that all this matters on how much control does Nintendo get.

To be honest, this is as much of a risk for Nintendo of lending their IP to a third party, in a similar way to when Ubisoft got the ability to make a Mario+Rabbids crossover for the Switch (and that has seemed to be huge for both Ubisoft and Nintendo).

I'd disagree. Despicable Me 1 is their best, but Secret Life of Pets and Sing are both really good. But they do something Disney doesn't do, and that's make great cartoons. Mario is a cartoon, not a deep emotional story. It fits Illumination better IMO
Disney makes great cartoons as well. Some of the new Mickey shorts have given me more enjoyment than the entirety of DM2 or Minions.

There's more at stake here than just a movie though.

What I mean by that is: video games have a very long and generally poor track record of translating well into movies.

Look at what happened with Activision-Blizzard after the Warcraft movie flop. They completely pulled back on having outside studios work on their IPs.

The same happened with Nintendo after the '93 Mario movie which is still one of the weirdest movies ever made. Except for Pokemon anime, they've been very wary of letting outsiders work on their IP.

They're really going to want to have a lot of input and make sure that this movie is successful, and a part of that is 1) Nintendo having significant input such as Miyamoto as a producer who can have real input, and 2) making sure that the movie has a strong sales push behind it.

I'd imagine that Universal offered more on both accounts than others especially due to the fact that a strong vertical push for SNW can combine with selling the movie(s). Giving Universal an important stake in the IP through movies helps to tighten the overall relationship.

And let's be clear here, if this is successful, it'll go much farther than just 1 movie.

This is a movie that Illumination needs to hit out of the ballpark everywhere but especially in China.

If this movie does well worldwide, expect sequels and the possiblity of a Zelda movie.

If the movie does well in China, that opens the door for SNW to go to China as well.

The stakes are very high here to put it mildly.

I’ll be amazed if it’s not successful, money wise at least. Mario is insanely loved across the world, and Illumination’s films always make a good amount of money