Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

I actually hope this is successful mainly because I hope Illumination gets the right to the one game that would be so easy to turn in a movie (Mother) and I also think they would do it justice.

From the Nintendo president:

Theme park development with Universal Parks & Resorts is underway. Construction on the “Super Nintendo World” area at Universal Studios Japan is to open in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In addition, the development of animated film based on “Super Mario Bros.” with Illumination is moving along for an anticipated theatrical release around 2022.

2022 actually does make the most sense for the movie. Japan/Hollywood SNW segments should be up and running, and Orlando's 3rd dry park should be near completion around that year or the next.

Will make a lot of sense for a huge advertising push in the US/Japan for that movie alongside the theme parks.

Last edited:
Illumination currently has two release dates announced for untitled films in 2022, July 1st and December 21st so presumably one of those will be the Mario movie.

And could potentially tie in nicely with the launch of SNW in Orlando

I mean--SNW isn't opening in Orlando in 2022.

It -could- be a great pullover for SNW in Hollywood though, as that's been rumored to be bumped to 2022.

__

As a note--Nintendo is apparently looking into other visual media collaborations, so this is probably a good sign so-far.

I have sooo many doubts about this film...this studio whole thing was at least "make cheap animated movies"

Nintendo usually want quality but wish it was a better studio like Dreamworks which has Panda and Dragon under them which are a really good films

I have sooo many doubts about this film...this studio whole thing was at least "make cheap animated movies"

Nintendo usually want quality but wish it was a better studio like Dreamworks which has Panda and Dragon under them which are a really good films
Not debating the quality of Illuminations vs Dreamworks, but if they wanted $$$, the box office for Illumination is insanely stronger. Not even close.

I was wondering: could they hire Charles Martinet for this or would they be a different actor for Mario? Would they be Mario in a speaking role like the old Super Mario cartoons?

It seems we finally know who's involved with directing this film, as Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic have been seemingly leaked by linkedin to be tapping the film on the director's level.

Aaron and Michael, involved with Teen Titans Go, would make this their second major motion picture film together; as Aaron Horvath was the co-director of Teen Titans Go: To The Movies, along with co-writing TTG's film with Jelenic.

It seems we finally know who's involved with directing this film, as Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic have been seemingly leaked by linkedin to be tapping the film on the director's level.

Aaron and Michael, involved with Teen Titans Go, would make this their second major motion picture film together; as Aaron Horvath was the co-director of Teen Titans Go: To The Movies, along with co-writing TTG's film with Jelenic.

I mean Teen Titans Go was the most watched show on CN based on how many times they aired the show so this could be win for Illumination. And the timeline matches as they haven't worked on anything new since 2018 outside of Teen Titans Go.

Teen Titans Go is on my TV every day. The influence of classic 90s WB cartoons (Animaniacs and Freakazoid especially) is obvious through the frenetic energy and bad morals humor. I can’t imagine Nintendo authorizing such outlandish absurdity in their main IP, but the fact that this team are the ones developing the movie definitely catches my attention in a way the project didn’t have before.