Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

But how many do we see now in comparison to rehashes and reboots? Maybe Im just "burnt out".
I'd still say a fair amount. All these sequels and universes can get pretty overwhelming but Hollywood will always have fresh, new ideas. Comic Book Movies are similar to Westerns back in the 50's and 60's, they caught on and every studio wanted a piece of the pie. In this case it's the expanded universe that Marvel started. Fox and WB caught on to it for their comic IPs, but it's since extended past that. Now we're getting stuff like a Bumblebee spinoff for Transformers. The studios will learn not everything can be "SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL".

I'd still say a fair amount. All these sequels and universes can get pretty overwhelming but Hollywood will always have fresh, new ideas. Comic Book Movies are similar to Westerns back in the 50's and 60's, they caught on and every studio wanted a piece of the pie. In this case it's the expanded universe that Marvel started. Fox and WB caught on to it for their comic IPs, but it's since extended past that. Now we're getting stuff like a Bumblebee spinoff for Transformers. The studios will learn not everything can be "SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL".
I'm more annoyed by everything needing to be a "World" or "Universe."

I'm more annoyed by everything needing to be a "World" or "Universe."

I see what you're saying TP4L. I'd also agree. I think that's the root of why I'm saying no one has an original idea anymore. I suppose it's not fair to say that when the most recent movies I've seen have been "The Revenant" and "Room" (both incredible movies). There are just so many re-hashes and reboots out there right now in production or playing. It's hard for me (like Fatality brought up) to respect all of these other studios when they're piggybacking off of what Marvel started. It's become nothing but a cash grab.

They'll probably remake Raiders but have his daughter played by Daisy Ridley take centre stage.

My idea was that the film would open with Indy stealing an idol from a temple, but this time he's too old to out run the giant boulder and dies. Enter CHRIS PRATT!

Well he was technically the "lead" in the Indy films, and his character has a lot more interesting dialog and history. It's a much more in depth character compared.

The big business side of it is, if it even does close to as well as Crystal Skull, it helps put money in Disney's 3 billion they spent on Lucas Film. Makes it an even better investment than just Star Wars.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be making Indy 5, I just don't think Harrison Ford needs to be the lead role. Which isn't really confirmed at this point. Why not start fresh? This isn't a "saga" like Star Wars.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be making Indy 5, I just don't think Harrison Ford needs to be the lead role. Which isn't really confirmed at this point. Why not start fresh? This isn't a "saga" like Star Wars.

Absolutely no one else should ever portray Indiana Jones.

This is not a James Bond role.

That is funny, because that is exactly the original comparison of the series from Lucas and Spielberg. The Serials and Bond. A different girl every time and one day different actors.

There have been three actors play him so far.(stuntmen excluded)

Not that I personally am asking for another one.

Last edited:
That is funny, because that is exactly the original comparison of the series from Lucas and Spielberg. The Serials and Bond. A different girl every time and one day different actors.

I've NEVER heard this before. I know Lucas talked Spielberg into the franchise at a time where Steven told George he wanted to direct a Bond movie, but I have never seen Spielberg claim he intended for the role to eventually be recast. If you can show me where he's said that I'd love to see it.

Recently he's been adamant that the role not be recast and that for is the only Indy.

There have been three actors play him so far.

There have been 5, but come on. The three kid ones (Last Crusade and 2 in Young Indy Chronicles) and 90 year old Indy don't count.

I'm talking about full fledged cinematic Indiana Jones.

I know they'll try to recast eventually, as Disney is Disney. But I don't think it's a good idea.

I don't even think the near 70 year old one in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull counts either.

As far as Spielberg's and Lucas' thoughts on Indy paraphrasing what they were saying about representing serials and with the idea of bond type setting where there is a different female every time can be found on the DVD extras of the original trilogy(who would of thought we would have to say that about any other movie but Star Wars?) release in the early 2000's.

Maybe we can get a female Lora Croft Type for a reboot to the Series. That will interestingly appeal to the nerd and female market.

I don't even think the near 70 year old one in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull counts either.

As far as Spielberg's and Lucas' thoughts on Indy representing serials and with the idea of bond type setting where there is a different female every time can be found on the DVD extras of the original trilogy(who would of thought we would have to say that about any other movie but Star Wars?) release in the early 2000's.

Right, a different female I know, I was more pointing to their idea that Indy would be a Bond-like role that was recast.

I get why people are upset about it, but considering Fords age; this new piece makes sense.

And what is that piece? Well, at Cinemacon, it was confirmed of Indy V being a continuation of the events after Crystal Skull.