Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Indiana Jones Ride at Disney Hollywood Studios?

I believe they were laid off by Disney, and basically said F-U and took some of their best ideas with them to Universal Creative. Which is why Citywalk shares a lot of traits with Downtown Disney at Disneyland. And why Portofino Bay looks so much like part of Tokyo Disney Sea. And why many ideas for Beastly Kingdom showed up as parts of Islands of Adventure.

Well, of course. I think the good ones stand up and/or find a way. Again, Steve Alcorn. Also, even though I do not know the details, isn't this how we got Dragon Challenge?
If you are given a project to do, you can't simply say no. You make the best with what you are given, but other than that, not much you can do. And if your project's funding gets cut... well then your SOL. Complain all you want, but it's pointless because that money isn't coming back.

That's not to say creatives should give up when a project they believe in gets cut, but there's only so much you can do. They are there to create and carry out a vision - or sometimes given a directive (Mission: Breakout, Pixar Pier). They also aren't irreplaceable. Picking and choosing battles i'm sure is tough for people in the creative field.

Well, of course. I think the good ones stand up and/or find a way. Again, Steve Alcorn. Also, even though I do not know the details, isn't this how we got Dragon Challenge?
And most of IOA...Worked out for everyone

Everyone in the business is prepared to have their budgets cut upon review...Any Imagineer that thinks they will get exactly what they want is fooling themselves, it isn't just Disney that does this...Budgets are always in flux for everyone

media.gif

Could common sense finally be prevailing in Disney's parks division?!
I feel like if that were the case it'd be going to the Magic Kingdom.

I feel like if that were the case it'd be going to the Magic Kingdom.

I'd be perfectly fine with Indy going to Magic Kingdom, but to me, there's no question that Hollywood Studios would benefit from it far more. It's still going to need another 4 - 5 new (not replacement) rides even after Galaxy's Edge opens.

If I were in charge, I'd put a new Indy ride in Hollywood Studios (with a new restaurant and a revamped stunt show if space allowed), then put Journey to the Center of the Earth in the Adventureland expansion plot at MK.

If the new plan is for Indy going in DHS would that mean that the stunt show would go?? I would hate for the last true stunt show in Orlando to go when it could be stripped of the fake movie set theme and remain as a show about Indy’s adventures.

If the new plan is for Indy going in DHS would that mean that the stunt show would go?? I would hate for the last true stunt show in Orlando to go when it could be stripped of the fake movie set theme and remain as a show about Indy’s adventures.

Yeah, the stunt show is probably gone. They need that space for the ride (unless Star Tours gets demolished). And you could fit a whole land within the space that the stunt show and Backlot Express currently reside in.

Yeah, the stunt show is probably gone. They need that space for the ride (unless Star Tours gets demolished). And you could fit a whole land within the space that the stunt show and Backlot Express currently reside in.
This is probably one of the few things I wouldn't mind seeing Star Tours get axed for. If they leveled Epic, Backlot Express, and Star Tours and created a whole lush Indy land, I could be happy with that.

I'd say AK will benefit the most from a new Indy ride. DHS will become the 2nd-most visited theme park in Orlando right after MK due to SWL. Epcot is receiving a DCA type makeover... so having a new ride at AK wouldn't hurt their attendance.

AK just had Pandora so it is doubtful it will get anything for a while, DHS on the other hand is still in desperate need of more. I can see the Indy show going and perhaps the Jedi and ST area becoming part of a new Indy section of the park.

AK just had Pandora so it is doubtful it will get anything for a while, DHS on the other hand is still in desperate need of more. I can see the Indy show going and perhaps the Jedi and ST area becoming part of a new Indy section of the park.

AK still needs something new during the 2020-2023 years while DHS/Epcot/MK receive their additions. Pandora would lose its popular aspect by then and something else needs to come to spread crowds thru the resort.

Well, as far as MK goes, they were looking at that plot just outside the berm in Adventureland for a volcano or Moana themed area. That could just as well be used for Indy.

Studios shouldn't be replaceing anything else before they expand.
Studios doesn't really have any "expansion plots" that they can use without replacing. The only one I can think of is near BatB, but it's not incredibly large (although another ride on Sunset is needed). I do agree that the next project should be something in the Animation Courtyard area and use up a lot of that backstage office area. Relocate the offices elsewhere and turn the land into guest space and become that much closer to connecting to the RNRC courtyard.

Replacing can put space to better use though, as seen with SW:GE and TSL. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular takes up A LOT of land. You could probably put multiple rides/an Indy mini-land on that space. Just to show how it would increase capacity, i'll lay it out here...

Indy has 6 performances tomorrow, with the last being at 6:00 PM. If the theater fits 2,000 per show, that's 12,000 people it can handle on a given day. Not really that many when you think about the entire course of a day. If Disney added a ride there that operated from open to close (7-10:30 tomorrow) and let's conservatively say the capacity is a low 1250/hour, around what Slinky is. Even at that number, it's seeing more guests per day. It would see roughly 19,375 during tomorrow's operation, an increase of over 7,000 on IJSS. If an Indy ride were to see higher numbers, maybe around 1500, it would see 23,350. If it were able to do closer to 2000 - say 1800, it would see 27,900 guests based on tomorrow's operation.

So while replacing may not be something we all want, it can help, especially if what you're replacing is a show. And that's not even taking into account that there may be leftover space for a second ride. Using Saucer's supposed 800 per hour, that would add 12,400 in capacity over the course of a day just in itself. So if we got a major E-ticket (Shanghai Pirates tech is the rumor) and a smaller scale ride, you could replace what currently is only giving you 12,000 in capacity over the course of a day and bring it up to around 40,000 or maybe even higher.

Studios doesn't really have any "expansion plots" that they can use without replacing. The only one I can think of is near BatB, but it's not incredibly large (although another ride on Sunset is needed). I do agree that the next project should be something in the Animation Courtyard area and use up a lot of that backstage office area. Relocate the offices elsewhere and turn the land into guest space and become that much closer to connecting to the RNRC courtyard.

Replacing can put space to better use though, as seen with SW:GE and TSL. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular takes up A LOT of land. You could probably put multiple rides/an Indy mini-land on that space. Just to show how it would increase capacity, i'll lay it out here...

Indy has 6 performances tomorrow, with the last being at 6:00 PM. If the theater fits 2,000 per show, that's 12,000 people it can handle on a given day. Not really that many when you think about the entire course of a day. If Disney added a ride there that operated from open to close (7-10:30 tomorrow) and let's conservatively say the capacity is a low 1250/hour, around what Slinky is. Even at that number, it's seeing more guests per day. It would see roughly 19,375 during tomorrow's operation, an increase of over 7,000 on IJSS. If an Indy ride were to see higher numbers, maybe around 1500, it would see 23,350. If it were able to do closer to 2000 - say 1800, it would see 27,900 guests based on tomorrow's operation.

So while replacing may not be something we all want, it can help, especially if what you're replacing is a show. And that's not even taking into account that there may be leftover space for a second ride. Using Saucer's supposed 800 per hour, that would add 12,400 in capacity over the course of a day just in itself. So if we got a major E-ticket (Shanghai Pirates tech is the rumor) and a smaller scale ride, you could replace what currently is only giving you 12,000 in capacity over the course of a day and bring it up to around 40,000 or maybe even higher.

Has a ride or show ever been replaced by the same IP before?