Is the Lack of Magic Bands hurting UOR's Overall Image? | Inside Universal Forums

Is the Lack of Magic Bands hurting UOR's Overall Image?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 7, 2010
So I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor this weekend, and I thought it would make for good discussion.

She has two young boys, and they go to Disney maybe once or twice a year. They are definitely not "theme park nerds" or Pixie Snorters, or whatever derogative term the internet is calling people these days. Just am average Florida family....

Anyway, they decided to go to Universal for the first time this past weekend, and my conversation was kind of surprising. Instead of talking about the awesome state of the art rides, the kids just kept about how " old and run down " universal was...the main reason? Lack of Magic Bands. The kids and adults complained that having paper tickets and having to use a hotel key felt "antiquated".

I thought this was an interesting conversation. Is the lack of Magic Bands actually hurting UOR's public perception as a State of the Art park? The family agreed that the rides were fun, but this was their main comment about the park. Obviously not all families or people think the same way. I just wonder for the average theme park tourist, if this stuff actually matters.

Thoughts?

PS - Not trying to start a UNI vs WDO thread...just a topic regarding Magic band technology making UOR look "behind"

Reactions: SeventyOne
They could probably update the ticketing system a bit and maybe give AP holders a more durable card but I think it's just an odd and unique opinion from 1 family. Definitely not the normal.

FWIW, They have the RFID (Q-bot) technology available during busier seasons, but it is at an extra cost.

If anything, I've heard the opposite. Most people I know who go to UOR and WDW rave about how much easier UOR is. They don't have to plan, don't have to worry about FP and dining reservations, and can just do things at their own pace.

This was my argument, I said that Fast pass was kind of a hassle with scheduling attractions before your visit, and the lack of fast pass availability on popular rides. But this didn't seem to be an issue for them. They said that fast pass at least gives them choices on what rides to do. I think it's an illusion of choice personally.

also I have used the "express pass" system for HHN.

Like I said this is an average family, that visits parks once a year. First trip to Universal. I was expecting nothing but rave reviews to be honest. Kind of took me off guard.

If anything, I've heard the opposite. Most people I know who go to UOR and WDW rave about how much easier UOR is. They don't have to plan, don't have to worry about FP and dining reservations, and can just do things at their own pace.
I haven't even read the original post yet, but just out of interest, are these people employees or people who are on fan forums? Or are they just your average joe that takes his family of 4 to a theme park? Not criticizing, I just think that who the person is and their personal likes and dislikes are important as well.

The point is, just because you know some people that prefer no-Magic Band doesn't mean there isn't just as many if not more that actually like the magic band.

I haven't even read the original post yet, but just out of interest, are these people employees or people who are on fan forums? Or are they just your average joe that takes his family of 4 to a theme park? Not criticizing, I just think that who the person is and their personal likes and dislikes are important as well.

The point is, just because you know some people that prefer no-Magic Band doesn't mean there isn't just as many if not more that actually like the magic band.

regular family...go to Disney once or twice a year at most. First time at Universal.

Normal people.

Where did I say differently?

Seriously dude.

They could probably update the ticketing system a bit and maybe give AP holders a more durable card but I think it's just an odd and unique opinion from 1 family. Definitely not the normal.

FWIW, They have the RFID (Q-bot) technology available during busier seasons, but it is at an extra cost.

Yes! bring back the laminated AP. I lost mine years go and have had to replace the paper ticket multiple times for various reasons. I decided to use clear packing tape on both ends to quasi laminate it. I don't have access to a cold laminator, and a hot laminator will turn the face of the card black (trust me, I know lol). And its survived for two years in great condition! But I wish they brought back the hard cards.

Reactions: TubaGeek
A Florida family going to Disney once a year, isn't that unusual. I wouldn't consider them "Disney people", just a regular family that decided to try a different park this year.

they also complained that they "ran out of things to do" , but I didn't want to go there....ha ha.

I just think it's possible that the Magic Bands may actually alter perception of quality for folks that only go to parks on an annual basis. I don't personally feel this way.

Three of my coworkers have headed down to Orlando (from MA) with their families in the past six months. I talked two out of three of them into making a trip to Uni and the two I did found it much more relaxing of an experience. They actually complained about the advance reservation system as they wanted to be able to do things at their own pace.

The third family only went to WDW but saw no advantage in the Magic Band. To them the hassle of trying to determine ahead of time (having never been before) what rides their kids would really enjoy and not find too scary was not worth it at all.

A Florida family going to Disney once a year, isn't that unusual. I wouldn't consider them "Disney people", just a regular family that decided to try a different park this year.

Not that it isn't unusual, but I guess they're just accustomed to the Disney way. Not a knock.

For example: How people who normally do Disney go on Trip Advisor and the like complaining there was no princesses and stuff at Universal. That kinda thing.

Reactions: natespf
I am not defending Magic Bands in any way. Personally as a local, I don't feel I need to plan at all and the app makes things a lot easier, but if someone doesn't like Magic Bands, I can totally understand that viewpoint. I find very often that most that is needed to plan out is one day for almost everything except Mine Train which is why i'm cool with it bc if I stay late at the park, Mine Train's line goes way down, but again, i'm a local. But as a local, I wouldn't pay however much express is per day over planning out a day or two in advance for free*.

*It should be noted that I have the Premiere AP that includes Express pass and have stayed onsite with Express and love it both ways.

While you may not categorize this family as "Disney people", it sounds like Disney is the only thing they really have to base an opinion against. If they go there once or twice a year, then their experience at Disney is probably going to set their expectation for other theme parks. Based on their comments, it sounds like they just went to Universal and expected a Disney-like experience, which left them disappointed. I, for one, think the Magic Bands are great, but I could just as well do without them. That being said, I prefer Universal to Disney while admitting that Disney definitely has more to do. Just a thought.

Edit: Just saw that Briman basically said the same thing, but more succinct.

Reactions: Brian G.
Yeah, I get that they can only compare UOR with Disney, as it's their only frame of reference. I just think the fact that it's something that would be considered a negative toward the park is interesting to me. I would never classify UOR as a park that is "out of date", mainly based on all the new attractions.

Reactions: Brian G.

they also complained that they "ran out of things to do" , but I didn't want to go there....ha ha.

I just think it's possible that the Magic Bands may actually alter perception of quality for folks that only go to parks on an annual basis. I don't personally feel this way.

I absolutely agree, well, not as much with MagicBands hurting Universal's image but with them making Disney look like a cut above the competition to the general public. As much as nerds on the Internet seem to hate it, I still stand by my position that MM+ is incredible in scope and influence. In fact, one of my relatives at a top hotel company was just talking about their hope to replicate the tech (to at least a small degree) in their resorts and hotels.

Regardless of your opinion on the MagicBands, it does give Disney a very distinct point of parity (go to any outlet mall around here and tell me how many people you see wearing them, its something people inevitably notice) that sets them up to look like industry leaders.

The general public doesnt know about budget cuts, cancelled plans, lazy executives, ride stagnation, etc. They just see a technology being implemented in a scope that hasn't been paralleled in the business, and they think it's cool. Also of note, the family you spoke to probably doesn't have any indication about how much Universal has grown lately, since they don't go often enough to gauge growth, so that also doesn't play into their opinions.

Yeah, I get that they can only compare UOR with Disney, as it's their only frame of reference. I just think the fact that it's something that would be considered a negative toward the park is interesting to me. I would never classify UOR as a park that is "out of date", mainly based on all the new attractions.

It's definitely an odd observation to single out on a vacation. Hell, I don't think I've even heard people defending Magic Band say they'd like to have it at Universal. :lol:

regular family...go to Disney once or twice a year at most. First time at Universal.
Mmmm..so they were just being negative then..

It would appear that they have a good amount of experience with the Magic Bands or they wouldn't be complaining about them..

It's funny they mention they 'ran out of things to do'...they clearly haven't visited HS in a while..

Universal dosen't need Magic Bands..

Regardless of your opinion on the MagicBands, it does give Disney a very distinct point of parity (go to any outlet mall around here and tell me how many people you see wearing them, its something people inevitably notice) that sets them up to look like industry leaders.

Wait...are you saying people where these bands when they aren't in the park? ..are you just referring to Orlando tourists visiting the mall?