1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Is There A Reason Why UOR Hotels Don't Have Balconies?

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando Hotels' started by Dazzling, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Dazzling

Dazzling Newcomer

Hi, I'm one of those long time lurkers, first time posters! So forgive me if this is a subject that's been covered before.

In a nutshell, I'm planning a trip to UOR & have been looking at all the onsite hotels, including the upcoming Aventura. I've only ever stayed at RPR & I absolutely loved it, but fancied trying somewhere different.

Whilst researching I noticed that none of the Universal onsite hotels (barring it seems a handful of rooms at Portofino) have any balconies at all. Being from the UK, one of things that always makes me feel like I'm on holiday (sorry, vacation!) is having a balcony. Coffee out there in the morning, a nightcap, & so on. I was surprised that not a single Universal hotel has them. I know Disney keeps them for their deluxe or DVC rooms but at least there is an option.

So I was wondering if there is a particular reason why this is so? I'm guessing there must be or they would have built at least one hotel with them. (Looking at pictures from Sapphire Falls, can you imagine how great it would be to have a balcony room overlooking the water? Same at RPR)

Is it for financial reasons? For safety? Is it a design & aesthetic thing? Or am I just the odd one out for wanting a balcony? (Probably that last one!)

Anyway, sorry for rambling on about a very minor thing. I was just intrigued about it & thought someone might have some knowledge on the subject.

Cheers.

Joel and 12th Man like this.
  2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

As you mention, Portofino has balconies, 70 of them actually. Generally they've given me one any time I asked, as long as they were available. Portofino also has a large number of rooms that open onto the Bay Piazza. Almost the same effect as a balcony.......Welcome to the OU Forums. :thumbsup::cheers:

Joel likes this.
  3. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

Liability of people falling/throwing stuff off, and complaints about people smoking on them.

More trouble than they are worth.

Andy and IAmFloridaBorn like this.
  4. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Premium Member

The presidential suites at Sapphire Falls have balconies. I think it has more to do with theme than anything else. If you put a balcony on every room it looks cluttered or boxy

merlin0402 likes this.
  5. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

Welcome! :cheers: The UK invasion gets stronger by the day!

6. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!!! WE WELCOME ALL UK-ERS!

Joel and JoeCamel like this.
  7. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

My brother has joined but has yet to comment. Hi, Euan :wave:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Brian G. and JoeCamel like this.
  8. Andy

Andy aka Hatetofly V.I.P.

As Dave said liability is a huge part of this. Also the appearance of tourists hanging towels, underwear, etc off the balcony just looks trashy.

Joel likes this.
  9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

The hanging clothes work for Portofino. Makes it look like an authentic Italian village :lol:.....Seriously though, maybe it's because of the clientele, but in my many many days spent at Portofino, I've never once seen anything hanging from a balcony. :)

Obi Ubamba and JoeCamel like this.
  10. GAcoaster

GAcoaster Veteran Member

Just go to WDW and look at Polynesian, Contemporary and Grand Flo when you ride the monorail. There's always someone with towels and swimsuits hanging on the railings.

And those are their "high end" hotels that people pay a premium to stay in (theoretically keeping out the riff raff)