Is Universal Moving too Fast? | Inside Universal Forums

Is Universal Moving too Fast?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
Over the past few years we have seen the addition of some wonderful new attractions, from Diagon Alley to Kong..We have also got some great concepts and designs for restaurants as well as refurbishments..It would seem that ever since DA people have been mixed about Universal Creative's new creations..Ever since Comcast has taken over UC has been let loose to create new attractions and designs constantly..The lukewarm reactions to Hulk and the semi-good reactions to Kong though had me asking this question: Are they moving too fast?

As we are on the F&F, a complete clone from Hollywood and a very similar ride in the park next to it, is UC loosing some of its steam? Are we just getting older and complaining more? Can anything satisfy us the same way as when we first rode Spiderman? Is Vin Diesel real or just a hologram?

As I lay in bed last night thinking about this I figured I would ask it to the forum to get some insight...Before commenting please know, I love Universal with all my heart..I am a passholder...I expect this conversation to remain civil, thanks

Well, what do you think?

Reactions: Joel
I think UC is being directed to build specific projects and a budget to do so. They deliver what was ordered. If they had an open budget and were told to create something amazing I have no doubt they would.

To have a well rounded park not all attractions will be E tickets. A lot of consideration has to be given to placement for traffic flow and capacity. If they all are the ground breaking ride/land that spidy and DA/Hogsmeade are then the park would be a nightmare to attend.

Let's see what they can come up with having a huge budget and a blank slate. That will bring back the IOA days and we got Hulk, Spiderman along with a host of other great areas out of that

Reactions: Joel
I think UC is being forced to react to a major industry trend: IP over all else. Disney and Universal have proven that having an IP in the parks is more important than what you do with that IP. It's the reason why Frozen has such a small ride, why Despicable Me + Shrek have simulators, and why F&F is getting a clone. The parks get a cheap ride and marketing still gets to have a field day.

The most successful expansions seem to be where Universal (and Disney) don't have full control of the IP. Universal seems to do best when they have to meet somebody else's standards (cough Potter cough). And Disney...well, Avatar will be here in a year and we'll get to see if this trend holds there too. UC gets to work with a lot of IP that they don't fully own and that excites me.

Last edited:
Reactions: amityboattours
Too early to tell IMHO.

This is where I am. I am just not sure yet.

I do think that some of their upcoming projects seem a little cheap/lazy (looking at you F&F) and I understand the argument that not everything can be an E ticket. I would be for a C or D ticket ride. A good family coaster like DK is going to be a solid D ticket item that I feel the park very much needs. But doing F&F which is a clone of a poorly rated ride from California just puts a bad taste in my mouth. However, they are also building VB which is very far from lazy or cheap. So because there are good and bad coming up I can't really say whether they are moving too fast. I do think they need to look at the C&D ticket items and maybe make them a little less screen dependent and don't clone poorly rated rides. I applauded the spinner in Simpsons, so I am by no means against lower ticket items. I think they could do a slow moving ride that is a D ticket that is AA heavy instead of screens too. Hoping Slop would fill that check box. I also think more family coasters. Their coasters go from 36" then jump up to 54" they need to have some around the 40" mark because that allows more families to ride. Older folks who can't or won't do big steel coasters and your 5 & 6 age crowd which they should start targeting more.

No mention of Volcano Bay yet, which looks like an absolute winner to everyone. the Bay is also absolutely the right step in making UO a true 3-4 day vacation destination, alongside the new hotels which have been mainly universally praised.
F&F and Fallon (potentially SLOP as well) will do a great job alongside the already built ROK in 'completing' the current theme parks into full day parks each, before the 3rd parks are built (Nintendo is a variable on location right now). I'm really happy with this myself, as I feel they add more of a 'family' appeal to increase crowds that ultimately pay the money to fund the more adult & thrilling/innovative experiences that I personally love Universal for (HHN, Forbidden Journey etc).

Reactions: anihilnation
It's hard to tell if they're moving too quick because they're just solving issues that the parks had. Kong broke up Island's 3 water rides in a row and with Hulk have added nightime lighting that should mean IoA will start opening later more in coming years.

Whilst both screens, Fallon and F&F replace dated rides that were unreliable, never absorbed a crowd from the park even when rammed and expensive to run. Fallon will be fun and give us a good façade whilst F&F will have huge pull and absorb crowds. Both will add huge capacity to the park compared to their predecessors. Plus rumours of T2 being replaced by a TWD attraction will again give good pull for little expense.

We know there's big things planned like SLOP, Nintendo, whatever is going on with Dragon Challenge, 3rd park and of course VB opening next year which will no doubt see some sort of expansions in the first few years.

It's a better time than Island's not getting anything and Studios just getting random stuff.

Their hotels (incl the new ones) are filling up quite nicely. Their quarterly report are one of the best in the industry. Are they making mistakes, sure. Are they quick in taking care of them, sure.
Expansion (buying new land) was in the future much earlier and with the cash and trust of the company they are doing fine. Walt once said "if you build it, they'll come" and "the park will never be finished". Universal is putting that theory in practice and they are doing fine.

Reactions: amityboattours
One thing that must be kept in mind is that they do not develop these projects overnight. Some projects are in development for 5-6 years. So while it is a huge "document dump" at this moment, the projects themselves aren't being rushed at all.

I believe Nintendo is upwards of 3-4 years being developed right now... and construction still has yet to begin.

One thing that must be kept in mind is that they do not develop these projects overnight. Some projects are in development for 5-6 years. So while it is a huge "document dump" at this moment, the projects themselves aren't being rushed at all.

I believe Nintendo is upwards of 3-4 years being developed right now... and construction still has yet to begin.

The Nintendo deal was signed like 2 years ago? Is that industry standard to put major resources into something before you have the rights?

The Nintendo deal was signed like 2 years ago? Is that industry standard to put major resources into something before you have the rights?

They would have had to have concept art and designs to pitch to Nintendo. They didn't sign a contract on "we'll make a real nice Mario ride for you"

Reactions: SeventyOne and Joel
Transformers was a Hollywood clone, and most people love it. They're just cloning a crappy attraction this time.

The only way they'd be moving too quickly, is if quality really dropped off. I don't think anyone questions the actual quality of Kong. It just doesn't match up to the lofty Potter standards. Which almost nothing would have.

As long as things like Fievel, Barney, Sinbad, and Fear Factor still exist.... Keep the pedal to the metal UC.

Reactions: SeventyOne
They would have had to have concept art and designs to pitch to Nintendo. They didn't sign a contract on "we'll make a real nice Mario ride for you"
Exactly, the Project Idea and Feasibility Stages would have been longer on this before they got to Initiation (The point where generally a contract is signed).