Is Universal testing out a new parade/character meet? | Inside Universal Forums

Is Universal testing out a new parade/character meet?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
It turns out that Universal held a series of test runs this weekend at Universal Plaza for potential character meet and greets.

We'll have an article published with more information, but could this be a test for a 50th anniversary parade or celebration?

Last edited by a moderator:
They sure did! I heard about it too :)

I totally also had a hunch that it might be a test for the 50th anniversary celebration, since so much of this new character experience is based on classic Universal nostalgia. But even if it's not for the 50th anniversary and is just a new offering, it'll still be a fantastic addition, considering how many characters they're using! It's apparently very popular from what I heard, so I hope it sticks around! Can't wait to see it!

Really fun little show! Lucy's Pontiac and Doc's Delorean were apparently cut from the show last minute due to mechanical issues, but might be back eventually. Boop's car has also been giving them issues. But again, such a fantastic little addition! Great to see so many characters! Wish they would add Shrek and Fiona to that though. Otherwise I think it's fantastic, so reminiscent of the 90s!

I hope that it sticks around for quite a while, the park really needs it! The

Reactions: steve and Jon Fu
Really fun little show! Lucy's Pontiac and Doc's Delorean were apparently cut from the show last minute due to mechanical issues, but might be back eventually. Boop's car has also been giving them issues. But again, such a fantastic little addition! Great to see so many characters! Wish they would add Shrek and Fiona to that though. Otherwise I think it's fantastic, so reminiscent of the 90s!
Whoa, there was a DeLorean originally set to be in this? Is it a mocked up Time Machine version? Hopefully they can get that back in the show by the summer run. (if the higher-ups decide to give it the greenlight for another test in Spring Break)

This is Universal's solution to keep the crowds contained in the Plaza and help bring some energy in despite the construction. You may have recalled a similar "cartoon bash" parade/M&G down in the lower lot when TF was being constructed.

Whoa, there was a DeLorean originally set to be in this? Is it a mocked up Time Machine version? Hopefully they can get that back in the show by the summer run. (if the higher-ups decide to give it the greenlight for another test in Spring Break)

This is Universal's solution to keep the crowds contained in the Plaza and help bring some energy in despite the construction. You may have recalled a similar "cartoon bash" parade/M&G down in the lower lot when TF was being constructed.
Yeah, apparently it was a DeLorean time machine replica that they were using, and they were testing it around the upper lot a few days before this new street party premiered, but then it got cut. Not sure how true that is but that's from what I was told, so I really hope they bring it back/add it to the party, as having a DeLorean time machine would really put it over the top!

And yeah, I was just telling Jon how this reminds me/is similar to the character show they had in the lower lot to make up for the Transformers construction, but I really hope that this one is more than that and that this type of character street party will stick around and even be expanded on in the future, with more characters, more vehicles, and maybe more elaborate dances.

But for now, like you said, let's just hope management approves the continuation of this street party :) It's a great step forward!

If this stays on, I can betcha that the Minions will be the first additional characters added to the show, especially by Spring Break/the ride's opening! I'd be surprised if they weren't! The "cartoon character" trolly definitely needs them to help round it out.

I'm so excited that Universal is stepping up their game. I'm a big fan of all theme parks, and in my opinion competition will just make them all better! Woo hoo!

I guess the question now is whether or not Universal saw the street party as a success. From what I've been told, guest reactions were extremely positive, but the area clogged up - creating a huge bottleneck in and around Plaza.

Yea, the show was at 4:30 when I saw it on saturday and sunday. You can still hear the music from Blues Brothers in my video, it had JUST finished. On top of that, seating for Water World was getting started. You can see how many crowd control blue shirts they have to use just to get the vehicles to their locations. I think there are three to four per vehicle. Either way, there are A LOT of employees involved in making this thing happen. If I had to guess though, I would say this is going to keep happening during the busy times. Spring Break, weekends once Despicable Me is open, and all summer. Again, that's just my guess.

I really love this. This is the type of entertainment we've been needing the past few years. (though I am surprised that they didn't include any minions). It does seem like a logistical nightmare the way they have the cars driving through the park. Something I'm sure Disney could pull off with ease.

Am I the only one who was kind of expecting some one to say that the UP fountains accidentally turned on during this? :p
Only one fountain did. Right under Brenda. Hehehehehehe

Nahhh, jk, wishes only come true at Disney :p

But yeah, I really hope this sticks around. I hope it isn't uncomfortable for the actors to dance on the wet floor though.

Reactions: BernardMesa
Wow, this is great! It's nice to see additions like this. Hopefully there will more surprises, given that USH's 50th anniversary is this year. I was hoping for a big celebration, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

I hope they go through with this and have meet-and-greets in Universal Plaza because even on the lightest dates, the area in front of Cartooniversal and the Universal Plaza tower is congested and when you throw in a Waterworld dump......things get nasty.

Reactions: steve
Is this still going on? I haven't been to USH since early January but its definitely something I'd like to check out!