Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

iSquare Mall and Hotel

Hockeyman55

Premium Member
Aug 19, 2009
Palm Beach Gardens
Just saw this on Screamscape as well click Orlando

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/developers-pitch-isquare-mall-for-international-drive/25761660

Just like Lance, my first thought was this is where the Pollercoaster might go and wold fit in with what they have planned IMO. BUt he has shot it down for this location but who knows.

A new multistory shopping center and hotel could be coming to Orlando's tourist district.

[READ: iSquare Mall renderings]

A 31-story mall, called iSquare Mall and Hotel, is in the works for International Drive in place of the International Shoppes strip mall on the southeast corner of I-Drive and Kirkman Road, according to developers.

The developers planned for the mall to be an upscale complex with an ice skating rink, food court and rotating restaurant on the 31st level.

It will have more than 1,200 hotel rooms in the two towers, as well as a nine-level parking garage, developers said in a release.

The project is expected to go before the city's planning board in June 2014.

If approved, the mall could open as soon as June 2017.

I is nice to see more new developement planned for I Drive, parts of that area are in need of much love.

I do worry for I Drive though and you have to ponder how much hotel business will be lost through Universals hotel plans and how that could impact I drive businesses, much like Disney and the 192. Or will it have a more positive impact and help he area thrive once again?

Last edited:
If construction does begin on this somewhere around March as the article states, what is the timeframe being looked at for completion?

Here's the staff report for the project. It has all the juicy details.
http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-p...15/10/MPBStaffReport2015-10_ZON2015-00036.pdf

And here are some renderings as of October 20th:
cQJ44B7.png

UVhZNKU.png

b9m09SD.png

This is not as tall as the other one and has two hotels involved, so should be more successful. So I imagine Universal could care less since it won't be this vacant eyesore in a couple years. Looks interesting...

I'm not quite getting which side this is on. Is this where the Denny's is? If so that is a whole lot of stuff to rip out and replace, but dang if that isn't a spot that needs some serious help. Not a fan of any of those hotels right there.