Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

January Trip to UOR

Jul 13, 2018
Hey guys, I'll be heading to Universal Orlando Resort for the first time in January, which I personally find kind of insane. It's always been in the back of my mind as a potential trip ever since I saw the promo videos on the UOR website with this gem of a song.

Anyways, my main plan is to hit USF on Jan 21st, then Islands on Jan 22nd. I already have accommodations for my three day stay but I do have some specific questions.

1. During my visit, I'm going to try to eat at Leaky Cauldron, Cowfish, and Bigfire Grill Do I need to reserve in advance for CityWalk restaurants and how far in advance should I reserve? Also, any other restaurant recommendations would be appreciated

2. For a first time, is a third day at Universal worth it? Or would I be better served by going to Hollywood Studios instead? (I was initially thinking about it, but it might depend on whether softs for Mickey and Minnie are up yet)

3. Is it worth it to get the Hogwarts Express pass, or I should I save my money?

4. Volcano Bay in January? Yay or nay?

Hey guys, I'll be heading to Universal Orlando Resort for the first time in January, which I personally find kind of insane. It's always been in the back of my mind as a potential trip ever since I saw the promo videos on the UOR website with this gem of a song.

Anyways, my main plan is to hit USF on Jan 21st, then Islands on Jan 22nd. I already have accommodations for my three day stay but I do have some specific questions.

1. During my visit, I'm going to try to eat at Leaky Cauldron, Cowfish, and Bigfire Grill Do I need to reserve in advance for CityWalk restaurants and how far in advance should I reserve? Also, any other restaurant recommendations would be appreciated

2. For a first time, is a third day at Universal worth it? Or would I be better served by going to Hollywood Studios instead? (I was initially thinking about it, but it might depend on whether softs for Mickey and Minnie are up yet)

3. Is it worth it to get the Hogwarts Express pass, or I should I save my money?

4. Volcano Bay in January? Yay or nay?

1) In general no but if you know when you want to go just book it as soon as possible. I've never made reservations more than a day or two out, almost always we book first thing in the morning and a lot of times we just walk up and are seated. Remember: Cowfish is open for lunch and dinner while Bigfire is only open for dinner.

2) I've done 3+ days at UOR before and think there's enough to spend three days. If you have't done SWGE it might be good to head to DHS. Check out UOR's deals site for ticket offers that might keep you on property.

3) I think park hoppers are worth it but I know that can be an issue with cost. I think HE is one of the best experiences in the park and Unofficial Guide readers rate it as the best ride in the resort.

4) It'll be cold! Keep an eye on the weather as the park will close for cold weather.

1. No. Only had to wait sometime once for cow fish. If it’s too busy, toothsome and red pizza are great! (Also heard a ton good about vivo but never been)
2. I absolutely think three days is a good idea if possible. However, if you really wanna fit in Hollywood studios, go for it! If push comes to shove, you can do most of not all the stuff in each park you’d wanna do with a one day each basis.
3. I think it’s worth doing it at least once if you’re a big potter head like I am, but Ive skipped out on a park hopper pass most of the time after because one park a day is perfectly Preferable. Once again if you’re a potter head, I would go for it at least once (if cost doesn’t prevent it)
4. Haven’t been to VB in a cold month, couldn’t say.

These parks mean the world to me and I’m happy that someone’s gonna get to experience them for the first time! Have fun, go to the underrated horror makeup show, and remember to take an hour or so nap at your hotel around three to recharge (if it’s on site) if you feel tired (helps you take advantage of your time so even better)!
Enjoy!

If you're staying at a Universal hotel that offers express pass, the 2 days should be enough. Especially if you're mainly focused on getting things done, rather than sitting and enjoying the environments and such. Ive had issues getting Citywalk reservations day of, so id just call ahead and make one if you can but it seems others haven't had issues so that may just be my doing.

Are you a big Potter fan? If so, then the multi park pass (Or whatever they call it to get you on the HE) is SO worth it. Being a major Potter fan, the Hogwarts Express experience is truly special. A must do if you're a Potter nut. If not? Id say spend each day in either park then make up your mind regarding Star Wars/Mickey and Minnie when the time comes. I doubt we see softs for Mickey and Minnie in January however. Bourne may be soft opening at Universal Studios as well. Not sure about the IP but the stunt show is supposed to be quite good, or it at least seems to have the potential to be.

Enjoy!!!

Okay! Some of my thoughts on Islands of Adventure first.

Easily my favorite park out of the two, due to both the intricacy of the theming and the collection of attractions. In a way, each of the islands almost feel like proto-Diagon Alleys, in that they are somewhat separated from one another, but not immersive to the degree of blocking out sightlines from other islands or fully committing to the reality of the location.

Hogsmeade, however, looks beautiful from almost everywhere within the land. One thing I never realized before visiting was that you could see the castle jutting out above the village when you entered the land. That, along with the addition of the forest grounds and the abandoned abbey of Hagrid, truly wowed me.

I also think Hogsmeade helped me realize something about theme park immersion that I hadn't considered. Although accuracy to the source material may be important, depth and movement truly help to convince you that you are in a real place, rather than a series of facades. I hope Epic Universe takes that lesson to heart, not only by creating lands with kinetic elements but also by suggesting places and objects outside of the park space (like with the spires placed on the show buildings in Galaxy's Edge)

As for the individual lands...

Jurassic Park: Not much to say as JPRA was under refurb. I did briefly get lost in Camp Jurassic, which seemed expansive and dangerous in a way no other play area does. I appreciate that Universal has these structured areas for kids to have their own adventures. Beyond that, the land really hurts without its signature attraction.

Toon Lagoon: Not as bad as I thought it would be. Loved the Popeye area and ride and was charmed by the cheesiness of the Comic Book Alley. Dudley is a dud though, and I wish it was as good as the view from the bridge makes it out to be. I would honestly mourn the loss of this land. I think the aesthetic could work if the theming throughout the land iterated on Popeye's successes and if the main thoroughfare was made more aesthetically pleasing. Also put something in the theater, please.

Lost Continent: Also needs something new in the Sinbad theater. Was actually able to peer into the theater space from the Hogwarts Express line and was surprised to see that all the sets are still there. Regardless, definitely my second favorite land in the park after Hogsmeade, and the rockwork obscures the length of the pathway. Poseidon's Fury is fun too, and that water tunnel is a trip. As much as I liked the aesthetics, there wasn't much to do.

Skull Island: Around this point I was getting tired of walking through caves to get on rides, but despite this Kong was good fun. It may use the tram tunnel ride system, but it makes up for that with the off-roading section and animatronics. It was kind of like a slow, less exciting version of Indiana Jones, which is still fine in my book.

Marvel Super Hero Island: Best rides, best music, worst food.

Suess Landing: Least favorite land. Just felt kind of stale, but not a bad land in the slightest as it offers a lot for little kids.

Hagrid: One of the best rides I've ever been on period and contender for my favorite ride of all time. Strangely, I found it more thrilling than any Six Flags coaster just because you unconsciously immerse yourself in the ride every time. Just being in a motorcycle immediately makes you want to lean into the turns and get close to the water/rockwork.

In summary, it's amazing that this park has so many dead spots yet still feels like one of the best parks every made. However, if they do decide to turn Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent into Lord of the Rings or Hyrule, I do hope they emphasize some of the stranger elements of those properties. Given the variety of theming present in modern day Islands, I would hate for the park to become Fantasy Forest: The Theme Park.