Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jojo Rabbit

Was hooked when the synopsis was officially making the rounds (alongside the first official picture), still hooked now.

Can't wait to see how Waititi handles a topic like this, as it could be such an amazing endeavor.

NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO SCREAM DISNEY.

Like, I thought that was the purpose in buying FOX. Acquiring more “Adult” content. Fox can be Fox and Disney/LucasFilm/Marvel/Pixar/WDAS can still all have their family audiences. It’s not like the Cinderella Castle logo is going in front of Jojo Rabbit.

I swear if they pull the film from release that will be one of the last straws for me with them on this Fox Stuff. Also, does “Ready or Not”, a horror movie, fit the Disney brand? No, but it’s still coming out August 21 and getting great reviews so far.

I just can’t imagine Disney interfering with this movie in the end. Not when they’ve released films like Clerks or Pulp Fiction under their Miramax brand.

What I do think Disney's more worried about is the inevitable controversy that could possibly surround the film. With how tense our nation has become (to the point where Universal just cancelled a Blumhouse pic a month before release), they're probably afraid that there will be calls for boycotts over the subject matter.

I just can’t imagine Disney interfering with this movie in the end. Not when they’ve released films like Clerks or Pulp Fiction under their Miramax brand.

What I do think Disney's more worried about is the inevitable controversy that could possibly surround the film. With how tense our nation has become (to the point where Universal just cancelled a Blumhouse pic a month before release), they're probably afraid that there will be calls for boycotts over the subject matter.

You would think that making fun of Nazis wouldn't be controversial nowadays.

Uhh no, not at all. I don't think anyone has a problem with people making films that mocks Nazis and racists since none of them have to do with mass shootings (unlike the Hunt). Hell, Blazing Saddles pokes fun at racists and hicks, not endorsing them as many people thought at the time. The issue is that Disney executives still have mindsets that their movies should apply to all ages including films which are geared towards adults and are award-winning content. The fact this is still on Disney's mindset despite having Fox Searchlight Pictures is really sad and should be no surprise given the fact they haven't produced any best picture award content for almost a decade. It just gives people another reason to hate on Disney because of their misinformed decisions especially in the future in entertainment. This whole thing would never happen if Fox is under Comcast/NBCUniversal.

Uhh no, not at all. I don't think anyone has a problem with people making films that mocks Nazis and racists since none of them have to do with mass shootings (unlike the Hunt). Hell, Blazing Saddles pokes fun at racists and hicks, not endorsing them as many people thought at the time. The issue is that Disney executives still have mindsets that their movies should apply to all ages including films which are geared towards adults and are award-winning content. The fact this is still on Disney's mindset despite having Fox Searchlight Pictures is really sad and should be no surprise given the fact they haven't produced any best picture award content for almost a decade. It just gives people another reason to hate on Disney because of their misinformed decisions especially in the future in entertainment. This whole thing would never happen if Fox is under Comcast/NBCUniversal.
Nobody has said, nor did the article say, that Disney is feeling a bit weird about this movie bc of anything you mentioned. It was simply about how the movie isn’t on-brand for Disney.

And yeah Comcast would be the better owner. Everyone was so excited about the X-Men going to the MCU, they didn’t stop to think about the ramifications it would have on the rest of the studio.

Still has a 63% as of now on RT. Definitely not brutal but may not be as great as we all had hoped. Still going to catch this one for sure though.