Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Joker (2019)

Just seen that Joker has won the Golden Lion award at the Venice Festival. Is this really going to be that much of a sleeper hit (maybe I just wasn’t paying attention originally)?

Just seen that Joker has won the Golden Lion award at the Venice Festival. Is this really going to be that much of a sleeper hit (maybe I just wasn’t paying attention originally)?
I wouldn't call a movie that is expected to have somewhere close to a $100M opening a sleeper hit. I think the fact that it is a prestige movie is the bigger surprise.

I thought the movie was incredible. A mesmerizing performance from Phoenix. Highly recommend checking this one out, but its very very dark and goes pretty deep. I expect this to stick around through awards season whether its just Joaquin or if the film sticks around as well. This one sits with you for a bit folks!

Saw it yesterday and this movie was amazing! It's kind of like a Breaking Bad for the Joker in that you get to watch the character transform over time. I loved it and highly recommend people to see it!

I forgot to add that this is a very nice looking film. Also I rarely see movies twice in the theater but I will definitely be seeing this again soon.

Last edited:
Just funny how much negative publicity it's been getting. I can understand why some would freak out, but in my view the film doesn't endorse or promote violence. Either way, a phenomenal film. Definitely one of the best of 2019, with one of the best performances of the year too. Absolutely loved it and am looking forward to seeing it again.

It's nice to see that DC has finally gotten themselves out of the hole they dug two years ago.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I guarantee that WB is gonna do everything in their power to get Phoenix aboard for Round 2.

It's nice to see that DC has finally gotten themselves out of the hole they dug two years ago.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I guarantee that WB is gonna do everything in their power to get Phoenix aboard for Round 2.

Joker makes one billion, but birds of prey is not looking that great to be honest. And i read some rumors that wonder woman did not had the best test screenings lol.

I loved harley Quinn in squad and i really loved wonder woman 1, i really loved wonder woman. But i hope they can deliver good movies with the next two

So I FINALLY caught this tonight. It's definitely haunting and shows that Phoenix is great at reigning in self-control over his own performances. It would have been easy to go over the top with the character and he avoided that.

Also, I'm still amazed that such a brutally disturbing film was able to join the billionaire's club. Guess that there truly is no such thing as bad publicity.