Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Journey Into Imagination Refurbishment

Jul 23, 2020
I was just surprised that Disney never has bothered to fix the Imagination pavilion. And with COVID tossing out most of Epcot's overhaul budget, we are probably stuck with Nigel Channing and annoying Figment (which is character is just abhorred and rock-bottom for 18 years). It is outdated and stuck with Michael Eisner era dated tackiness.

Now I am seeing the attraction itself malfunctioning to the point where the sound in one of the scenes is not playing. The animatronics have gotten stiff.

I blame the executives and higher ups at Disney and Imagineering who have failed to take notice how awful the pavilion has gotten. ImageWorks is also outdated. The Magic Eye Theatre just plays Disney/Pixar shorts, which is nothing imaginative.
If this ride does not close after the 2020s decade is over, this shows how Disney is incompetent with how they handle their theme parks lately. They choose to prioritize other attractions like Guardians, PLAY!, Ratatouille, Frozen Ever After, and an awful Beauty and the Beast Sing Along to share with Impressions de France instead of putting priority on a pavilion that is deseparate for an update.

We understand that Disney is running things on a shoestring budget until the economy recovers and with employees getting laid off and running under limited capacity, it is hard for Disney Parks and Imagineering to get back on their feet, even more until a vaccine arrives and masks are mandatory until Spring/Summer of next year.
But it bugs me that Disney is willing to keep the Imagination pavilion dated in its 2002 form until the ride system breaks down and keeps running to the point it is unsafe by OSHA standards. If Disney updates all of Epcot and not the Imagination pavilion (even The Seas pavilion's Nemo book-report ride), this just shows that Disney doesn't care about updating the pavilion and Bob Chapek has failed to address it at the 2019 D23 Expo.

What do you think about this? What will it take for Imagineering/Disney to update an inferior pavilion below the latest standards and advancements in storytelling and ride technology. (I mean, the 2002 CGI on Figment is dated and pre-dates Pixar's 1990s CGI.)

How do you want the pavilion to be updated in a desire to bring in more park guests. Just keeping it dated with other attractions will steer people away from it, or won't come back if they don't have new offerings.

You know, with guests waiting five hours for a freaking Figment popcorn bucket...don't you think this should send a signal to Disney that people still care about Figment? Maybe they could actually put a new rendition of Journey into Imagination instead of just shoe-horning another Pixar IP in there? Or would that make way too much sense?

One of the reasons why Universal is doing so well (At least for the most part) is that they listen to their fans. Even if it's just another half-hearted overlay, would it kill them just to put a more proper version of the ride in with Dreamfinder and Figment?

You know, with guests waiting five hours for a freaking Figment popcorn bucket...don't you think this should send a signal to Disney that people still care about Figment? Maybe they could actually put a new rendition of Journey into Imagination instead of just shoe-horning another Pixar IP in there? Or would that make way too much sense?

One of the reasons why Universal is doing so well (At least for the most part) is that they listen to their fans. Even if it's just another half-hearted overlay, would it kill them just to put a more proper version of the ride in with Dreamfinder and Figment?
I wish Universal would listen to their fans and burn F&F down. :lol: It would make a better bonfire than a ride. Sell smores instead of Figment popcorn buckets.

I wish Disney thought this way, however, when people wait for hours to buy a bucket with Figment on it I'm sure their general consensus is:

1) We didn't have to spend capital on a new ride
2) Guest spending has increased without a huge overhead

I also think there is an attitude of "we already have a Figment ride why build a new one"

I'm not saying these are correct lines of thinking, we all have seen Imagineering's potential overseas and know they could do much better with Figment

But it's probably where their mindset is

But all attractions have service lives ;)

About to bump this thread… lol. It sounds like there’s been some work going on in the upstairs imageworks. Apparently the rainbow tunnel has been demolished, with the sign and entrance being the only things remaining. It also looks like work may have been done on some of the walls and flooring. I know this after seeing some images which were floating around on twitter. Has anybody heard anything? I’d really like to see this pavilion brought back to its former glory, especially after the figment popcorn bucket fiasco. Hopefully something will finally be announced at D23

They very cruelly teased the prospect of an Imagination overhaul at D23, only to actually announce... that Figment meet-and-greets are coming back sometime in 2023.

They very cruelly teased the prospect of an Imagination overhaul at D23, only to actually announce... that Figment meet-and-greets are coming back sometime in 2023.
That was some classy trolling when Josh D'Amaro during his 'A Boundless Future' presentation started to talk up Figment and ending up being a meet and greet. I guess the Future isn't boundless and D'Amaro isn't worried about Epic Universe down the street.

This was like the time they called a media event at DHS' Fantasmic - getting everyone to think they were going to finally announce an update to the show - only for them to simply announce benches were coming to the standing only area. Womp womp.

I can't believe they had the gall to hype up the RETURN of a M&G knowing that everyone would be expecting an Imagination redo if you bring up Figment.

This was like the time they called a media event at DHS' Fantasmic - getting everyone to think they were going to finally announce an update to the show - only for them to simply announce benches were coming to the standing only area. Womp womp.

I can't believe they had the gall to hype up the RETURN of a M&G knowing that everyone would be expecting an Imagination redo if you bring up Figment.
Maybe they couldn't imagine that people were thinking there was a redo needed to Imagination? They think it's fine enough to add back the M&G...
Silly people

Maybe they couldn't imagine that people were thinking there was a redo needed to Imagination? They think it's fine enough to add back the M&G...
Silly people
Imagineering can't possibly think that so it's gotta be the bean counters who don't see the investment as worth it. With Inside Out getting a sequel, I sort of expect any redo to be Inside Out themed. And I think that's what they want to do, except they feel stuck because they know Figment is super popular, but they also aren't willing to spend the money to update an original attraction not at Magic Kingdom.

Someone needs to make a Disney+ show or a movie based on Figment. Maybe then they'd feel like it's worth it to update the ride.