Judge Rules in favor of Motorized Wheelchair in Queues | Inside Universal Forums

Judge Rules in favor of Motorized Wheelchair in Queues

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 13, 2011
Tampa, FL
Judge sides with disabled man against theme park

Excerpt: “Respondent (Universal) offered no evidence that would support a finding that allowing power-driven wheelchairs in its attraction queues would fundamentally alter the services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations that it provides to its patrons,” the ruling said.

It'll be interesting to see if any policy change comes of this - as of right now they're not ordered to make changes, but it's very likely they will be.

Judge sides with disabled man against theme park

Excerpt: “Respondent (Universal) offered no evidence that would support a finding that allowing power-driven wheelchairs in its attraction queues would fundamentally alter the services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations that it provides to its patrons,” the ruling said.

It'll be interesting to see if any policy change comes of this - as of right now they're not ordered to make changes, but it's very likely they will be.
It was just an administrative finding to pave the way for a suit if he wants to go forward. Personally I think the judge is whack. Universal offered a "reasonable accommodation" and that is what the law requires not to rebuild queues or put other guests at risk.

Reactions: jtsalien
It was just an administrative finding to pave the way for a suit if he wants to go forward. Personally I think the judge is whack. Universal offered a "reasonable accommodation" and that is what the law requires not to rebuild queues or put other guests at risk.

And the judge found that there's no legitimate reason that other are at risk with a motorized wheelchair as opposed to a manual wheelchair. I'm not sure what device we're talking about in this case, but typically an EVC and a motorized wheelchair are two distinctly different things in theme park terms. EVC's don't belong in queues unless designed for them - but motorized wheelchairs shouldn't be treated differently than manual wheelchairs.

TBH, when I worked there I never sa anything but an ECV (And yes, those things are dangerous) plus ECVs wouldn't be able to make the turns in queues. Whats funny is 99% of the time, people in ECVs get to skip the line (unlike wheelchairs). Why would someone WANT to be in line longer for a ride?

Does this mean people will have to store their wheelchairs in lockers now? Because wheelchair sized lockers would be very groundbreaking