1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Jurassic Park Expansion/New Coaster

Discussion in 'Islands of Adventure' started by insanepizzaguy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

It is...Not appropriate for this application as it commands a ton of attention due to its boxiness

Rides like Montu and Kumba are beautiful examples of architectural coaster design

Then you must've been pissed off since 2008

natespf and JoeCamel like this.
  2. JoshO

JoshO Newcomer

Heading to Knotts this summer, very excited to ride Xcelerator. Seems these coasters will be similar in their top hat element, although this coaster is rumored to have inversions.

CoasterGuy likes this.
  3. CyborgDinosaur

CyborgDinosaur Newcomer

I don't actually notice or mind the Hogwarts showbuilding all that much when I'm in JP. What they did to it for Kong does bother me though, especially the removal of the second entrance arch. I'm not a fan of the newer Jurassic World aesthetic, but hopefully if they retheme JP to JW they'll add a new arch on that side while they're at it.

JoshO and merlin0402 like this.
  4. anihilnation

anihilnation Veteran Member

But JP/JW is a theme park, so a coaster in it is not something that breaks immersion per se.

5. Mike S

Mike S Veteran Member

A park that focuses on live Dinosaurs as their main attraction and very little on typical theme park rides if at all.

6. EddieB

EddieB Newcomer

Looking at the rumored layout, and I wonder if we’ll find one of these under the new overflow bridge.. :bigeye:
    CFAF5CEA-7DD9-449F-A346-85CB6F1F11AD.jpeg

Ryno27, Narc, natespf and 4 others like this.
  7. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Rookie

Be nice although as long as it isn't the delay of it opening like it was for Maverick.

EddieB likes this.
  8. SkiBum

SkiBum Veteran Member

And removed prior to opening. That's the only thing that worries me with Intamin. I love their coasters but sometimes the elements are a little too much for my neck. I don't have back issues but some of Maverick's whipping turns really toss the old head back and forth. Hopefully, this ride isn't too extreme in that regard. I will still ride it, regardless, but prefer to not have to brace myself.

SukaVayne73 likes this.
  9. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

"The most advanced amusement park in the entire world, incorporating all the latest technologies. And I'm not talking just about rides. Everybody has rides. No, we've made living biological attractions so astounding that they'll capture the imagination of the entire planet."

CTank, Ryno27, natespf and 2 others like this.
  10. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

Annnnnd, Jurassic World has a water park, IMAX theater, Margaritaville, and a Dave & Busters. Hammond's dream of a living biological preserve died with him unfortunately.

Dhdhddh, truejonas, natespf and 4 others like this.
  11. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Now I'm anti-JW. Keep it JP!

:)

12. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Listen, I'm gonan be frank, if you're an adult complaining because some trees getting cut down remind you that you're in a theme park (which you are), you've got bigger issues than some roller coaster track

13. gabe3235

gabe3235 Rookie

After Maverick, I305, and Skyrush, they seem to have figured out where the sweet spot of crazy but not too crazy is

SkiBum likes this.
  14. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Who are you talking to, specifically?

Also, that line of thinking is ridiculous. You can say that with anything in life; i.e., if you have access to clean water then any complaint is invalid. We're on a flippin theme park forum, we are allowed to complain about things directly related to our experiences in a theme park.

therock, Kwame, WAJAS98 and 4 others like this.
  15. JungleSkip

I think complaining that you feel like you're in a theme park when you're in a theme park is the definition of lunacy

Kwame, WAJAS98, Yung1522 and 5 others like this.
  16. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

I understand the desire for escapism and can completely understand the "more trees and less metal" opinion.
    But you are correct in that the whole conversation is lunacy.

-One group is complaining that you feel like you're in a theme park when you're in a theme park.
    -The other group is arguing that you should feel like you're in a theme park because you are in a theme park that's in a theme park.

Is that a good summary?
    :bonk:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Yung1522 likes this.
  17. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Logically this is sound.

Having said that, the goal of Disney and Universal when building these mega lands is try and make you feel like you're not in a theme park.

therock, Ryno27, alias8703 and 6 others like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Exactly. Just look at Diagon Alley as a prime example.

therock, captainmoch, Ryno27 and 4 others like this.
  19. JungleSkip

...is it? Like, I'm sorry, but I've never felt like I wasn't in a theme park. When I'm standing around in a line to do the same interactive wand spell I just saw 10 people in front of me perform. It doesn't matter if I can see the next land over or some coaster track or not. It's *impossible* not to realize you're in a theme park when every activity in the land is designed and experienced like every other activity in a theme park.

The goal of these lands is to let people have fun. I don't think either company really cares whether you feel like you're in a theme park or not, as long as you're having fun and spending money.

20. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

You seem to have a disconnect that someone who wants things to be more immersive somehow "forgets" they are in a theme park. No one who isn't a complete psychopath believes that.

I'll use this as an example: Would you think it just as fine that Diagon Alley used straight up and down squared buildings and not leaning ones? Because "what idiot would think you're actually in Diagon Alley?" No... they did them crooked because that's how they should be done. No one believes it's actually Diagon Alley. No one forgets they're at Universal.
    And Universal spent more money and time to make it more immersive to allow for greater suspension of reality/belief for their guests.

Dhdhddh, therock, JPRA513 and 7 others like this.