Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 589 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes if you stood still on the old bridge, you'd be able to feel it swaying quite a bit just from the people walking across it. This new one definitely looks a lot beefier than it was before.
There you go. That's probably it, especially in view of the crowds coming across for Hagrid and viewing for Forbidden Arts show. That piece of heavy equipment says it's solid to me.

Reactions: gabe3235
Yes, the difference with this new bridge will be that's it's being built with the intention of being permanent and for daily, high traffic usage.

The original bridge was supposed to be temporary - I'm honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did, but I guess they never really had any reason to take it down, until now.

nALQvsI.png

od1n4vU.png

Looks to be basically the same dimensions with the supports being beefier. I'm just surprised that it's not a concrete bridge. Seems like forms are being set up on the ends for some concrete though.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Looks to be basically the same dimensions with the supports being beefier. I'm just surprised that it's not a concrete bridge. Seems like forms are being set up on the ends for some concrete though.
Yeah, I think it will have approaches in hard scape but probably time is driving the replacement. You can put in pilings easier than footings

Reactions: WillQ92
There you go. That's probably it, especially in view of the crowds coming across for Hagrid and viewing for Forbidden Arts show. That piece of heavy equipment says it's solid to me.
IIRC this new bridge will be open all the time? If that’s the case then my thought is it needs to be able to handle daily use vs occasional use.

Are we sure about this? I don’t think there’s any way this is open for guest usage. Yes, it’s much beefier, but it’s ugly as sin.
As I said earlier, they didn’t even use 8x8s, 4x4, 6x6 etc. they simply stack 2x4 or 2x6 on top of each other 8-10 times. And the top itself is 100+ 2x4s next to each other which is (again) strong, but will have tons of variance and is (again) very ugly and (more importantly) very uneven for walking.

It’s built for strength but certainly not attractiveness or guests to see.

Are we sure about this? I don’t think there’s any way this is open for guest usage. Yes, it’s much beefier, but it’s ugly as sin.
As I said earlier, they didn’t even use 8x8s, 4x4, 6x6 etc. they simply stack 2x4 or 2x6 on top of each other 8-10 times. And the top itself is 100+ 2x4s next to each other which is (again) strong, but will have tons of variance and is (again) very ugly and (more importantly) very uneven for walking.

It’s built for strength but certainly not attractiveness or guests to see.
I think those are all engineered LVL or Glulam beams, I don't think they're just willy-nilly stacking 2x4 together hoping they don't warp

Reactions: Andysol
I think those are all engineered LVL or Glulam beams, I don't think they're just willy-nilly stacking 2x4 together hoping they don't warp

All I can go on are the pics, And they certainly don’t look like Glulam as they are unevenly stacked at the ends.

I’ve put up a glulam Beam before and they’re awesome. Never worked with LVL but can assume its similar.

I guess without being there, we can’t really know, but I find it odd they went horizontal on the 2x4s, so maybe you’re right. It’s weird.

All I can go on are the pics, And they certainly don’t look like Glulam as they are unevenly stacked at the ends.

I’ve put up a glulam Beam before and they’re awesome. Never worked with LVL but can assume its similar.

I guess without being there, we can’t really know, but I find it odd they went horizontal on the 2x4s, so maybe you’re right. It’s weird.
Well I know the difference and will probably be there later this week. I'll take a look

The other possibility of course is that they’re driving plant and equipment over it during construction on just the plain structure, and that there will be a more ‘decorative’ top layer added once they no longer need to drive all over it?

So im guessing there's no chance of this coaster running underneath this bridge as I think was previously speculated? If thats the case then how are they going to cover it with the coaster presumably going over the top of it?

So im guessing there's no chance of this coaster running underneath this bridge as I think was previously speculated? If thats the case then how are they going to cover it with the coaster presumably going over the top of it?
I think there would be plenty of room to run it under the bridge along the water, but I would've figured they would have installed footers for that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.