Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 278 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or use their remaining library of non mainstream IPs that would translate into theme parks despite not being super big amongst the masses.

Disney's been a head of the curve in that regard:

1.JPG

I love Splash Mountain, but I always wondered how it was conceptualized.

"Hey guys, let's make a water ride based on the animated segments of this old live action film of ours that got banned years ago for being too racist."

Splash is in it's own category for flume rides. There's Splash, and everything else.
ToT is in it's own category for drop towers. There's ToT, and everything else.

Uni needs another groundbreaking or "redefining" attraction. Spiderman was one that redefined dark rides. Other rides have caught up to it, arguably, although it's still my personal favorite.
Nothing has come close to topping Splash or ToT- its a position one cant argue against- decades after they've been opened.

I haven't ridden Pirates in Shanghai, but from what Ive seen and heard, it has redefined boat rides. Again- Uni needs to redefine a genre of attraction to something that doesn't exist currently. If that's a Roller coaster, Dark Ride or Simulator, that's fine. And what better IP than Jurassic Park to set that stage? It's as timeless as any IP they have.

Although, not an attraction. I think Diagon redefined the themed land within a theme park. I can't think of any land before it where I have felt that separated from the park I was in. On top of this, I think HP also redefined the queue. FJ is an experience in itself and Gringott's feels like a step above. Usually when entering a queue, it's quite sudden going into that world, Gringott's felt like you were digging deep below the city and it still boggles my mind how much they managed to cram into the space they did.

Although, not an attraction. I think Diagon redefined the themed land within a theme park. I can't think of any land before it where I have felt that separated from the park I was in. On top of this, I think HP also redefined the queue. FJ is an experience in itself and Gringott's feels like a step above. Usually when entering a queue, it's quite sudden going into that world, Gringott's felt like you were digging deep below the city and it still boggles my mind how much they managed to cram into the space they did.
Whole heartedly agree, while Hogsmeade was a giant step in this direction, DA is the poster child for themed lands. Now that DC / DD is going, going.. (almost) GONE! it will start to feel the same way in Hogsmeade.

Reactions: JPRA513 and Mad Dog
I think these big theme park ready IPs seem to come every 10-15 year’s, so I think we are due for a new IP ago hit the spot on this one. I wonder what it will be.

Disney's been a head of the curve in that regard:

1.JPG

I love Splash Mountain, but I always wondered how it was conceptualized.

"Hey guys, let's make a water ride based on the animated segments of this old live action film of ours that got banned years ago for being too racist."
Hey, racism tested well on the surveys....And log flumes

Reactions: graspthesun
I think these big theme park ready IPs seem to come every 10-15 year’s, so I think we are due for a new IP ago hit the spot on this one. I wonder what it will be.

LOTR is probably going to be the next IP that isn't already acquired and I can only see Universal getting it. It doesn't seem like Disney's thing and I don't know what they'd do with it nor where they could even place it.

Reactions: WAJAS
To be honest, I've never been hugely bothered seeing Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge in Hogsmeade.

The thing that always killed (well, not really, but) the area for me is mainly just that hideous giant showbuilding for Forbidden Journey that Universal never made any real attempt at covering up. This isn't a case of "oh, if you go into this area and twist your head around, you may see it...", it's literally right there in plain sight.

UpS3lqL.png

Thankfully, with its more enclosed design, DA doesn't have suffer from problems like this as much.

To be honest, I've never been hugely bothered seeing Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge in Hogsmeade.

The thing that always killed (well, not really, but) the area for me is mainly just that hideous giant showbuilding for Forbidden Journey that Universal never made any real attempt at covering up. This isn't a case of "oh, if you go into this area and twist your head around, you may see it...", it's literally right there in plain sight.

UpS3lqL.png

Thankfully, with its more enclosed design, DA doesn't have suffer from problems like this as much.
This has been the source of many internet arguments since it was built...I certainly hope one day they cover it, just to end the discussion

The Wizarding World, blew up how theme parks are build. And Disney has bought in hook, line, and sinker. Since Disney lost Potter to Universal because of Universal's radical concept of an immersive single IP, multi attraction land, they have built 3 TSL, Carsland, Pandora, and 2 SW:GE.

That seems way more influential, to me, than ToT.

To be fair, Carsland predates Potter's announcement. I feel like that is a long forgotten fact. I think Hogsmeade takes the edge, but Disney and Universal both co-developed the concepts around the same time... it just takes Disney much longer to build anything.

Toy Story land likewise opened in Paris a couple months after Potter.

Pandora and Star Wars were directly influenced, without a doubt.

Reactions: ChristopherSE
To be fair, Carsland predates Potter's announcement. I feel like that is a long forgotten fact. I think Hogsmeade takes the edge, but Disney and Universal both co-developed the concepts around the same time... it just takes Disney much longer to build anything.

Toy Story land likewise opened in Paris a couple months after Potter.

Pandora and Star Wars were directly influenced, without a doubt.
By Potter's 2007 announcement Disney knew exactly why they lost Potter and exactly what was coming including Diagon Alley. Carsland opened almost exactly 2 years (2 years and 5 days) after Hogsmeade did. Disney fans like to push the narrative that Potter and Cars Land happened simultaneously. They didn't.

By Potter's 2007 announcement Disney knew exactly why they lost Potter and exactly what was coming including Diagon Alley. Carsland opened almost exactly 2 years (2 years and 5 days) after Hogsmeade did. Disney fans like to push the narrative that Potter and Cars Land happened simultaneously. They didn't.
Cars Land was announced in 2007 though, same year as Uni got Potter rights. I'm sure Potters success played a role, but we can't act like Cars Land wasn't already happening.

The fun thing about that paradigm shift, the pool of "land" worthy IP is drying up fast.

Then what?

Create new IP tailor made for theme park integration and hope one or two click.
Maybe we can see a return to original attractions?...

:lol::lmao::lol:

We're really getting off-topic here. I recently spoke to an acquaintance of mine who knows a few staff members at Universal. According to the rumors suggested by these staff members, JP:RA is indeed closing down in January for a certain length of time in order to overhaul the attraction. They have also stated that this overhaul will include brand new animatronics, Jurassic World elements, etc. I really hope this information is true, as JP:RA is in desperate need for some new animatronics.

Great if true. It really needs it and might be nice to add and Indominus AA to start the lift hill with the new raptors.

Reactions: WAJAS
Cars Land was announced in 2007 though, same year as Uni got Potter rights. I'm sure Potters success played a role, but we can't act like Cars Land wasn't already happening.

Maybe we can see a return to original attractions?...

:lol::lmao::lol:

But Nick, what is being said is that Disney knew what UOR pitched to JK and therefore decided to build a land based on one of their own IP's...they got Pixar, cars sells merch big time, always has.

To me, this is typical business, but I am not knocking Disney nor trying to compare companies...heck, to me, IOA's Islands are an early concept of a themed land...

Status
Not open for further replies.