Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing the JP River Adventure would be a gigantic blow, especially since we don't know exactly what the trade-off would be. Even if the hypothetical new Gyrosphere ride was packed full of dinosaur AAs (which I suspect it won't be), I still wouldn't want to axe the original land.
Agreed.

River Adventure is still one of my favorite rides at Universal Orlando and a must ride every visit for me.
Losing a water ride that doesn't soak you is a major loss to me.
Losing a ride full of big animatronic dinosaurs is a major loss to me.

I couldn't care less about the gyrosphere ride.

I love RA, when we first started visiting the parks I had to convince my entire family that the ride was fun. 3rd time was the charm! Since then, it has been a must every trip.

Having said all this, I'm fine with a change to park 3, it's time. When a ride is consistently a 5 - 10 min wait, its days are numbered. It no longer soaks up crowds and is very dated. I'm sure the cost wouldn't make sense from a refurb vs ground up build perspective. A new space would also allow them a fresh footprint and not have to force new attractions into inappropriate spaces.

I love RA, when we first started visiting the parks I had to convince my entire family that the ride was fun. 3rd time was the charm! Since then, it has been a must every trip.

Having said all this, I'm fine with a change to park 3, it's time. When a ride is consistently a 5 - 10 min wait, its days are numbered. It no longer soaks up crowds and is very dated. I'm sure the cost wouldn't make sense from a refurb vs ground up build perspective. A new space would also allow them a fresh footprint and not have to force new attractions into inappropriate spaces.

I get your point, but wait times aren't really a great indicator of popularity. I'm sure someone with better knowledge could correct me, but my experience and impression have me thinking that River Adventure is a high capacity, fast throughput ride. If its waits on any given day are shorter than, say, Dudley Do Right's, does it mean that it's less popular or that it holds a lot more people per ride? I would argue that JPRA is still a premier and popular attraction, with great capacity, and worth keeping around.

Time will tell, but wait time shouldn't be the indicator. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train usually has some of the longest waits at Magic Kingdom, Peter Pan has long waits as well, but they're far from the most popular/famous rides in the park.

I'd hate to see River Adventure go, such a great ride just in need of some love. However, if they do simply move JP/JW to the 3rd gate, I think a retheme of River Adventure to Kong in an expanded Skull Island would be amazing. Could still have Dino animatronics, another amazing Kong animatronic, and retheme the indoor building portion to a cave...

Time will tell, but I'd still prefer a revamp of River Adventure with new animatronics.

I could get totally get on board with that.

I'm sure I made a map a few months ago talking about where Universal could possibly fit a great Dining Hall. There's ample room to expand and keep things as they are.

I get your point, but wait times aren't really a great indicator of popularity. I'm sure someone with better knowledge could correct me, but my experience and impression have me thinking that River Adventure is a high capacity, fast throughput ride. If its waits on any given day are shorter than, say, Dudley Do Right's, does it mean that it's less popular or that it holds a lot more people per ride? I would argue that JPRA is still a premier and popular attraction, with great capacity, and worth keeping around.

Time will tell, but wait time shouldn't be the indicator. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train usually has some of the longest waits at Magic Kingdom, Peter Pan has long waits as well, but they're far from the most popular/famous rides in the park.

I look at it as a "canary in the coal mine", a sense that interest in the attraction is/has waned. I agree waits alone shouldn't be "the" indicator, but it has to be one of the indicators (especially if compared to wait times of past). Add this with age (physical), cost of refurbishment and general condition of the land, I don't see how the ride (and land for that matter) could continue to stay (without a massive update that is).

Again, not "happy" about it maybe going, just accepting of it (and excited of the possibilities in park 3).

You are right though, time will tell, been an APH for 5 years now, and my lord what a change!

You do realize River Adventure has an hourly capacity of somewhere between 2500-3000 people per hour...one of the highest capacity rides in all of orlando.

I've seen it hit 45-60 minute waits numerous times during busier times of the year. It's still very popular.

I'd hate to see River Adventure go, such a great ride just in need of some love. However, if they do simply move JP/JW to the 3rd gate, I think a retheme of River Adventure to Kong in an expanded Skull Island would be amazing. Could still have Dino animatronics, another amazing Kong animatronic, and retheme the indoor building portion to a cave...

Time will tell, but I'd still prefer a revamp of River Adventure with new animatronics.

That's an amazing idea! And as for the wait times, the only times I see River Adventure with low wait times is late at night when people no longer want to get wet.

The trailer doesn't seem to show them, but there are a lot of AA dinos this time around. There's a behind-the-scenes clip on YouTube that shows some of them.

I was going to say the same thing. You beat me to it. Just like people are sick of screens in rides, they are also sick of CGI in movies. A good comparison is pretty much everything in the prequel Star Wars vs. the motorcycle/big rig chase scene in Terminator 2.

The trailer doesn't seem to show them, but there are a lot of AA dinos this time around. There's a behind-the-scenes clip on YouTube that shows some of them.
I'll believe it when I see it...The colouring is also a very strange aqua tint...I know that's the "thing" for blockbuster nowadays, but they all look the same haha

I was going to say the same thing. You beat me to it. Just like people are sick of screens in rides, they are also sick of CGI in movies. A good comparison is pretty much everything in the prequel Star Wars vs. the motorcycle/big rig chase scene in Terminator 2.
Yep pretty much...I've only been viewing practical one off films recently...I get the whole franchise tent pole thing, buuut..

It just looks like they remade The Lost World, where they go to a dilapidated and abandoned version of the park in an attempt to "rescue" or export the animals. Meanwhile they're further pandering to nostalgia by bringing Ian Malcolm back for the sole purpose of quoting his old dialogue. Makes the new Star Wars movies look very original...

It just looks like they remade The Lost World, where they go to a dilapidated and abandoned version of the park in an attempt to "rescue" or export the animals. Meanwhile they're further pandering to nostalgia by bringing Ian Malcolm back for the sole purpose of quoting his old dialogue. Makes the new Star Wars movies look very original...
Aren’t you a ball of sunshine.

And that will be his only scene in the film. It's already been confirmed by Bayona.

And that will be his only scene in the film. It's already been confirmed by Bayona.

I literally said to my coworker "watch that be his one scene." Hilarious/appalling to learn that exaggeration is accurate.

Seems we can only have "stock Disney films" and "stock Universal films" these days. This looks like Fast & Furious in construction.

The behind the scenes trailer had me pumped, the actual trailer was a major let down.

Jurassic Park seems forever the franchise doomed to have one fantastic movie and middling to bad results thereafter. (World was good, but a soft rehash).

I was thinking the same thing myself, this looks like the Lost World (which I was not a fan). I still am holding out hope though because I loved Jurassic World.

Status
Not open for further replies.