1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Jurassic Park Expansion?

Discussion in 'Islands of Adventure' started by insanepizzaguy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Newcomer

OMG, Yes I so have to do this, and this would be Unique but with Uni Creative, lot of possibilities. Has anyone rode this, it is a Must Do for coaster creds for me.

Scott W. likes this.
  2. Dhdhddh

Dhdhddh Newcomer

So Intamin’s the latest rumor... I’m stumped. If the wooden coaster rumor from earlier holds any weight, could it be a pre-fabricated wooden coaster a la El Toro?

3. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Newcomer

Love this coaster. HersheyPark was my home park growing up. Wish this was there when I worked at Hershey. I am not a big fan of Intamin, but hey maybe Uni has a good deal working with Intamin, make this JP or JW coaster a thrill coaster, I need some new elements and coaster thrills. Although, I have said I wish it was a B&M launched wing coaster.

4. UAN17

UAN17 Rookie

B&M make great coasters but as mentioned above, they don‘t innovate enough. I think Mako, Manta, Kraken, Montu and the first half of Hulk are great...but Dragons Challenge & Sheikra are boring. Nemesis remains a work of art. Shambala in Port Aventura is Mako on steroids and is my favourite coaster on the planet.

I just want show scenes no matter what this is. If not I feel like it’s wasted space.

5. darkridelover

darkridelover Premium Member

Yes and Disney built Little Mermaid in the same park that had Haunted Mansion, and two boat rides right next to each other at Epcot, but I don't hear anyone complaining. Two completely different experiences.

6. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

If a B&M was to go in, I think a drop coaster themed to a raptor cage could probably fit quite well theme wise with a big diving loop out over the lagoon.

7. Tyc00n96

Tyc00n96 Rookie

Dan found survey markings on the ground in front of the DC

Ryno27 likes this.
  8. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    This is the old "But Disney!" argument. This discussion is not about them. They don't need to be constantly brought up as a way to deflect criticism away from Universal.

And I also think that a physical attraction will always have countless more ways (architecture design work, set decoration, lighting, AAs, costuming, etc.) to make its experience feel distinct and different from another one than a simulator has, because - by nature - basically all you have to work with is a projection surface. But that's really a discussion for the SCREENZ thread.

9. gabe3235

gabe3235 Rookie

I highly doubt anyone will buy a prefab anymore. Initial cost is very high and they require immense amounts of maintenance.

Dhdhddh likes this.
  10. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

No, @JoeCamel found survey markings and shared them with us 9 days ago, and then I reported it on Twitter last week and then Dan posted about them today.

11. Tyc00n96

Tyc00n96 Rookie

Ahh missed that post my bad. So if the coaster is going to come all the way down by the water where is the new Raptor Encounter going?

12. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

I think it’s staying there. It may move temporarily during construction is all. I can imagine it becoming part of the coaster entrance/viewable from queue.

Also, blue markings are usually used to denote drainage running into lagoon. My guess is the markings are showing drainage paths, hence why half of them are on drains. The marks start up by the DC and follow straight lines down to the lagoon. And there’s two lines, leading from two drains. Dan also missed the manhole cover one.

EE4273C7-2982-409C-9840-116247C96ABF.jpeg

C58BF8B5-30D8-4812-A023-723A96348354.jpeg

Ryno27, JoeCamel and Tyc00n96 like this.
  13. happy bunny rabbit

happy bunny rabbit Veteran Member

”Dragon Challenge” and “Boring” should never be in the same sentence, unless that sentence includes “not” in between them.

14. Delta

Delta Newcomer

I personally don't see the appeal of wooden coasters. They look kind of cheap from my perspective. I'd honestly prefer a steel coaster instead. Nevertheless, I still respect how everyone feels about them. ^^

CTank and Galaxy Defender like this.
  15. Tyc00n96

Tyc00n96 Rookie

I know the wooden coaster rumor is starting to turn into Intamin but im surprised no one has used Wicker Man at Alton Towers as a good example of a themed low to the ground wooden coaster that can be translated for JP

16. UAN17

UAN17 Rookie

As individual coasters they were unmemorable...I was unfortunately too young to experience them duelling

17. SkiBum

SkiBum Member

:agree:

happy bunny rabbit likes this.
  18. SkiBum

SkiBum Member

If the talks about a height of 100' are correct, Intamin has several fairly intense coasters that fit that bill and can fit into a small footprint.

19. Dhdhddh

Dhdhddh Newcomer

When maintained correctly, they’re among the top coasters in the world. Unfortunately, you won’t find many well-maintained wooden coasters at your typical corporate regional park.

Despite that, I personally feel that a wooden coaster has no place at a world-destination theme park resort given that they just seem impractical. Universal had to completely rebuild Hulk after 17 years of operation. Imagine how often they’d have to retrack a wooden coaster.

peep, Galaxy Defender, Delta and 3 others like this.
  20. orlandoiloveyou

orlandoiloveyou Rookie

See I think the show building completes the theming. JP was a zoo or safari type attraction but still had to be a fully functional "theme park" in the books the characters end up in some of the backstage areas guests wouldn't see, as they also do in all the movies. The buildings are almost a trope of the franchise. The electrical building and visitor center in 1, the abandoned InGen gas station and shed from 2 with the raptors. The birthing center from 3 as well as the pteranodon cage. I think the big show building is a character on its own. The rigid structure in the wild jungle, very symbolic of the JP universe. At least that's my take.. It's one of the few show buildings that doesn't bug me to see.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018