Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 455 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the rumor of the Jurassic coaster construction being postponed a year, I believe that puts it opening 2021, not 2020. That would also put some space between Potter and Jurassic coasters opening.

I thought that rumor was false? Plus, what would replace JP on the 2020 schedule? Nothing else has started construction yet.

With the rumor of the Jurassic coaster construction being postponed a year, I believe that puts it opening 2021, not 2020. That would also put some space between Potter and Jurassic coasters opening.
Wait... if this is true then that's some big news. Everything I've heard said there was a minor delay to the start of construction but that it wouldn't delay the opening because this is a fairly straightforward coaster similar to Hulk with themed elements for the station and queue only. Even if construction doesn't begin until August 2019, there is no reason it wouldn't be ready by 2020.

And if this is pushed to 2021, what's the 2020 project?

There’s no way whatever is happening in KidZone would open in 2020. If JP doesn’t open in 2020 I don’t think anything significant will happen that year
Agreed. There is no way anything KidZone related opens in 2020 unless it's a simple Pets retheme of Animal Actors. Even a Transformers-style "get this built NOW" would be cutting it close and that was a clone of an existing ride and done under extraordinary circumstances revolving around tax requirements.

I thought that rumor was false? Plus, what would replace JP on the 2020 schedule? Nothing else has started construction yet.
No idea about schedule, but the JP coaster project being delayed is certainly true. Demolition of the barns in Triceratops Encounter was supposed to be complete by now, but all that happened was small props removed and the area cleared of small brush. (And I think water fountains were removed as well.)

In fact, the green temporary walls that went up around the area over the summer just came down last week:

Walls down:
IMG_7334.JPG

Large props still on site:
IMG_7340.JPG

But hey, at least there's a ladder, that's a good sign.
IMG_7332.JPG

The project is still very much on, but just as I reported in my video and podcast on the subject, it is not to start construction until after Potter is nearing completion now. They are still actively shifting things around in the land of course, and we'll likely see the Raptor Encounter move soon, but no construction for a little while.

Agreed. There is no way anything KidZone related opens in 2020 unless it's a simple Pets retheme of Animal Actors. Even a Transformers-style "get this built NOW" would be cutting it close and that was a clone of an existing ride and done under extraordinary circumstances revolving around tax requirements.

If the coaster is as barebones as people think, an 18month build should still be manageable.

Upon saying that, the general consensus is that once the HP coaster is nearly complete, that crew will shift to the JP coaster which gives less time.

Did Universal buy cranes or was that Disney?

Reactions: Magic-Man
Hmmm... walls down, pushed back? Why am I getting déjà vu. Although I totally agree something like this needs a <18 month build time.

Eventually I need someone to spill the beans on what exactly has been going on internally the last 5 or so years.

You could absolutely make a case about how there is more money to be made from the families with young children demographic. However, Disney has a chokehold on that market and it's silly to think that Universal could make more money by trying steal market share from Disney in the families with young children department. Universal advertises themselves as the park families should go to when the kids are "too old for Disney." The tagline they use in many of their commercials is "kids grow up, and we think vacations should too." By doing this, they have positioned themselves as the market share leader for families with older children or young adults and it has been very profitable for them.

Expanding their brand to try and pull in more families with young children is a fine idea (and they are already doing this by bringing in Nintendo). But, it is important not only to themselves as an organization, but also to their core consumer base that they continue to introduce new, thrilling, exciting, and immersive experiences that you simply cannot find at Disney. No matter what type of business you are in, being just like your competitor is not good for business. Universal needs to give consumers a reason to choose them over Disney and I think they are and have been doing this extremely well over the past few years.

My only quip is that their competitor is starting to erode into Universal's own market. SW:GE, the Guardians Coaster and Tron are pretty bold reaches for that tween market.

I think diversification of both companies attraction menus is actually the ideal balance. Meaning as appealing as a coaster would be to me, something like a Seuss dark-ride or an Illuminations dark ride would probably have been the wiser broad plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eventually I need someone to spill the beans on what exactly has been going on internally the last 5 or so years.

I mean I don’t think it’s a great mystery. Park 3 got an aggressive build schedule. It led to Nintendo’s move, which threw everything else for a loop and they just don’t (or didn’t)have anything comparable to replace it in the coming attractions department.

I mean I don’t think it’s a great mystery. Park 3 got an aggressive build schedule. It led to Nintendo’s move, which threw everything else for a loop and they just don’t (or didn’t)have anything comparable to replace it in the coming attractions department.

Not just that, there have been quite a few aborted projects seemingly. Whether it was Iron Man/Avengers, Secret life of Pets, this Jurassic Park coaster that we've been discussing for over 5 years, Lorax/Grinch, Fast and Furious delays, Ministry of Magic, Volcano Bay Expansion etc.

I don't know if I can solely blame the Southern resort on all the indecision.

Perhaps things are just being oversold as closer to reality than they actually are, which is fair.

Reactions: Andysol and Mike S
Perhaps things are just being oversold as closer to reality than they actually are, which is fair.

Probably the case. Until there are permits (like we have for the JP work), nothing should be taken for granted.

And even then, Nintendo shows that permits don’t mean anything either

But I think if Nintendo was currently under construction like originally planned, there wouldn’t be the complaining about “indecision” we see now

Universal is like a kid in a candy store. So many choices they can't make up their mind, or they keep changing their mind......Seriously though, it sounds like there's a weak spot somewhere in the Executive management ranks/structure.
I feel like creative must be having the same debates we're having.

Awesome coaster. But Jurassic is underthemed when it comes to cutting edge tech bringing the world and dinosaurs to life, as in Wizarding World. How can they hit all the marks? So they debate. Come up with good ideas. Talk in circles.

Then randomly build a kong ride instead again.

Maybe we'll get some of that if WORLD ends up in the next theme park.

I have to think that is still happening based on the rumors for this coaster.
IOA for the 'Classic' Jurassic Park and the new park for 'World'

I still find it odd to have two Jurassic areas in one resort but:
1) Kids love dinosaurs and won't care about multiple lands
2) You don't reboot a franchise, make almost$3B and then do nothing with the IP

Reactions: belloq87
I have to think that is still happening based on the rumors for this coaster.
IOA for the 'Classic' Jurassic Park and the new park for 'World'

I still find it odd to have two Jurassic areas in one resort but:
1) Kids love dinosaurs and won't care about multiple lands
2) You don't reboot a franchise, make almost$3B and then do nothing with the IP

That would be almost as crazy as what they did to their other franchise with over $5 billion at the box office.

Status
Not open for further replies.