Jurassic Park: The Ride. E! Premier TV Special (Live)- 1996 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic Park: The Ride. E! Premier TV Special (Live)- 1996

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
Found this video on YouTube someone thankfully recorded off of the TV back in '96 for E! Tv's special on the grand opening of Jurassic Park The Ride. It's mostly cheesy celebrity interviews, but it also gives you great footage on the ride (look how AMAZING the animatronics look! Gahhh i miss them like this), and some behind the scenes footage of them installing some dinos by crane or the final T-Rex animatronic by air. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gwkLqOPJPG4?feature=oembed

Reactions: Jon Fu
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bruce" data-cid="1109" data-time="1360696451"><p>

That's cool to see. I've been searching forever to find the opening day of T2:3D but haven't had any luck.</p></blockquote>

There is a little footage of the opening day in an old travel channel special about the park, I'll post the link to the videos when i get home from school. Its only a little, but it also shows the original Kimberley and some backstage stuff. it's really neat. The whole special is really good, shows maintenance of jp as well as behind the scene waterworld stuff.

I don't want to make a new thread, but I'm so excited and over the moon over what happened to me at the park yesterday regarding JP that I have to share my story with you here. 

I went to the park by myself for the first time yesterday before my night class. I arrive around 3ish, walked around the upper lot, took some pictures of the DM construction, and was asked by an employee if I was from IU - that's another story for another thread! After that I went down to the lower lot, rode Transformers and Mummy, and then went over to Jurassic Park to say hi to someone. (Out of personal phobias I can never ride JP by myself.) While there, I was wearing my Park Ranger badge, which I purchased from ebay from an Orlando vendor. When I walked up to the ride to look for the person I was saying hi to, I ran into a manager named Alex, and a lovely show lead whose name I can't remember. They noticed my park ranger badge and asked to take a photo of it, which I agreed to. We talked a minute and I told them how much I love Jurassic Park, and how much I love the ride. They then offered me a quick behind the scenes tour. I couldn't believe my luck, and of course I said yes. They called ahead to the control room to let them know they were bringing in a guest, then the lead led me under the first lift into the employee area with lockers and vending machines. She was so gracious and cheerful, making small talk with me and telling me about the ride. Then I finally got to go into the control room that I have wanted to be in for years. I have a photo - which out of respect for their kindness I will not share online, just in case they can get in trouble for it, even though I had management permission - of me standing at the control board. The three ride controllers in the office were also very, very kind, and had been part of the opening day team I was told. The three of them proceeded to tell me all about the ride system, and show me the systems and the e-stop mechanisms. We swapped a few stories about the ride and being there opening day, and realized that all 5 of us in that room at that moment had crossed paths - kind of - 16 years earlier on opening day. It was a really great moment for me.

As I was leaving, I shook hands with her and with Alex the manager again, and was told to come and say hi anytime, and to ask them if I ever needed anything. I left feeling giddy. One of my childhood dreams was to be in that control room - and I've done it now thanks to the kindness of a manager and show lead who were passionate about their ride. I can't express my thanks to them enough. As we were leaving the show lead told me that she wished she could walk me through the actual ride, but since it was operating she couldn't. She remarked that it was like a different world in there. I couldn't agree more. 

Thank you Alex and thank you to the female lead whose name I wish I could recall (I'm so bad with names!). You made my silly little fangirl dreams come true.

^ ahhhhh that's such an amazing story! So jealous, and so happy for you! Mad props to great cast members! Hey, maybe you can now help schedule a behind the scenes tour of the ride when it's not operating sometime! Haha

Curious about the story about the cast member who asked if you're from IU.

Miss Betty Juice, that story was AMAZING! I am extremely jealous!

I am actually the guy who uploaded the video that this thread was made for (my YouTube account is jurassicoz)! I had no idea this video was so much appreciated! :) I happened to come across this forum tonight, while looking for something else. I had it sitting in my old VHS tapes for years and finally go the right tools to offload it. I remember watching it over and over again after I recorded it, my parents thinking I was crazy. I REALLY wanted to get on that ride! And even though I'm about 3 hours from the park, it took some time before I was able to (I honestly can't remember when, sadly). I do remember being extremely satisfied with the experience, originally. I do hope they return it to it's former glory, or better, someday. While some of the magic is gone, the nostalgia still lies in there. I always look to see that Barbasol can as the ride makes it's final stop. ;)

I actually have QUITE a few rare things related to the ride I could show you guys, including some press kit scans, rare art cards that were once in the shops, and even some photos of the mural in the cafe from the guy who made it! As for videos, the only other JP Ride video I have on my channel (or possess) is of the trailer made for it that appeared at the end of The Lost World: Jurassic Park VHS tape. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cI9Jgg6IbwU?feature=oembed
Also... one thing I have REALLY wanted to find are the ride queue videos! I don't think they are on YouTube at all, except for maybe some partials. Anyone here ever recorded them? I may try next time I go.

So glad to be here, and will definitely post some cool stuff if desired!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Allen The Actor
Scallenger, welcome aboard, and thank you for that awesome video!!! I am an enormous JP fan and anything you share would be very very much appreciated and welcomed. =)

As for the queue videos...I want them. Badly. I've not found them anywhere. And it's going to be near impossible to film them during summer, but summer is the only time the extended queue is open with the actual plot of the ride videos playing. One day I hope to have recordings of them though, even of Gwen and her annoying voice. =/

Yeah, you're right :( I just hope someone eventually then films the Gwen/Hammond intro video. I read somewhere that Spielberg actually has a cameo in the video, I believe the one with Hammond?! I wanna spot it! Lol.

There was part of the IOA version uploaded, with horrible sound quality (it somehow got sped up, as you can easily tell while watching the video)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Siw1zdvxO3M?feature=oembed
These aren't much, but that's the best I have seen so far. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Reactions: Jon Fu
Thanks! Yeah, you or anyone else is probably better off doing it than me, because I don't even have an actual camcorder. My digital camera can record short videos, but the resolution isn't the best, but I thought it would be better than nothing. God, I need a video camera again like I used to as a kid (until a friend broke my camera... and didn't even have the guts to tell me he did so). As you all may notice, I have started posting some things already. I have a few more things to post, too. I hope you all don't mind all the new threads! lol.

Buy one for me, then, haha! :D ;) My hours are seriously cut at my job these days. Hell, maybe I should move to LA and be a tour guide at USH. ;) I always thought that would be a great job for me. But probably better suited for some of you here since you're all probably more knowledgeable than me about the park overall. But yeah, you're right, I've put off getting a camcorder too long when I probably could afford it before. :(

Haha to be a tour guide, you don't HAVE to be super knowledgeable right off the bat! There's training and learning thr material. They look at your charisma and personality more at first. Adriana has a great article on the main site about the tour guide auditions they recently had.

And yeah, get like a cheap Sony HD camcorder, you can find them between $180-250. Save up a bit. It's a good thing to have around, trust me :)