Jurassic Park: The Ride (Now Closed) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic Park: The Ride (Now Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But what happens if the t-rex stops working in the middle of the day? Do they just close the ride for awhile and cover it up real quick?
Simple - they shut down the effect. It's computer controlled like everything else, and capable of being stopped by the press of a button. They can simply shut down the Rex effect so that it never pops out and just do the normal drop from there.

When the effect is off, what about the waterfall water which covers up the t-rex? When it unveils the t-rex, the waterfall opens up. When it covers the t-rex, the water just falls down into the drop chute. What happens to that?

Funny story, one time the waterfall's timing was off (back in 2007) when I was on the ride.

Basically we got up to the t-rex, he came out and roared, but we didn't go down the drop. He did his thing, and went back into hiding, and only then did we start moving to finally drop, but then the waterfall started closing up and completely SOAKED us even before the end of the drop! I got it on video, it was crazy!

When the effect is off, what about the waterfall water which covers up the t-rex? When it unveils the t-rex, the waterfall opens up. When it covers the t-rex, the water just falls down into the drop chute. What happens to that?

Funny story, one time the waterfall's timing was off (back in 2007) when I was on the ride.

Basically we got up to the t-rex, he came out and roared, but we didn't go down the drop. He did his thing, and went back into hiding, and only then did we start moving to finally drop, but then the waterfall started closing up and completely SOAKED us even before the end of the drop! I got it on video, it was crazy!
The water is off when that happens. It sucks, but you just see Rexy in the off position. I've had it happen to me twice before.

I still sorta like USF's t-rex sequence better. You actually get a good look at the t-rex before plunging down the drop, and instead of water, fog is used so it can ominously step out of the mist.

I feel the opposite. There is no element of surprise. 
As a first-time rider, one might like USH's t-rex sequence better for that reason, but repeat riders will already know when the "surprise" comes. I just like how in Universal Orlando's version, you can actually see all of the massive dino coming out from the fog looking for its next victims, whereas in Hollywood, it kinda whips out last minute and you can clearly see the puppeteer work going on behind it.

In the end, both versions of this sequence are great. I'm just into IOA's better.

I think our JP ride in Hollywood is superior in every single way besides the final T-Rex.

First off....even first time riders know what's at the end most of the time, Universal advertises that final drop and T-rex to death lol

Second, even then, the waterfall is so pathetically weak, you can still see the T-rex in sleep mode, and like William said, right afterwards you can see the black robotic arm that controls him.

I also hate that we see it for so little.

The one in Florida has so much movement and I love the smoke, looks so cool. And you see it for so long before it lunges at you.

Also, what's with out countdown system? Is she bad at math?

"Life support systems will terminate in 15 seconds. *right away* 10, 9, 8, 7, 6... (etc)"

Wtf...lol

Reactions: JaySalahi
I think our JP ride in Hollywood is superior in every single way besides the final T-Rex.

First off....even first time riders know what's at the end most of the time, Universal advertises that final drop and T-rex to death lol

Second, even then, the waterfall is so pathetically weak, you can still see the T-rex in sleep mode, and like William said, right afterwards you can see the black robotic arm that controls him.

I also hate that we see it for so little.

The one in Florida has so much movement and I love the smoke, looks so cool. And you see it for so long before it lunges at you.

Also, what's with out countdown system? Is she bad at math?

"Life support systems will terminate in 15 seconds. *right away* 10, 9, 8, 7, 6... (etc)"

Wtf...lol
What in the world!? Haha, I've never noticed the countdown!

I'm still convinced that one day I'm gonna fly right outta that boat (even if that is a bit overdramatic), so I'm not even gonna try touching it. Besides, what happens if I'm t-rex bait?! :unsure:

I think our ride is superior in every way but the foliage. We get to see the T-Rex twice and I think the waterfall adds a great deal to the experience. You can see the T-Rex behind, but I think it can be fixed by just rederecting the lights that give it away. Besides it pops, and even if you can see the arm is more amazing that just watching the head move right and left all the time. Also the fog effect is so heavily used in Universal that it seems like a lazy solution to avoid having the waterfall. I love the waterfall and that it pops out. The hiding of the arm and the lights can be fixed in a refurb, and not a very extensive one, just redirect lights, make same tests, done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think our ride is superior in every way but the foliage. We get to see the T-Rex twice and I think the waterfall adds a great deal to the experience. You can see the T-Rex behind, but I think it can be fixed by just rederecting the lights that give it away. Besides it pops, and even if you can see the arm is more amazing that just watching the head move right and left all the time. Also the fog effect is so heavily used in Universal that it seems like a lazy solution to avoid having the waterfall. I love the waterfall and that it pops out. The hiding of the arm and the lights can be fixed in a refurb, and not a very extensive one, just redirect lights, make same tests, done.
Why do you think Orlando's is superior in terms of foliage?

Speaking of the T-Rex... the infamous black bag is back. A lot of the animatronics are having issues, leading to multiple downtimes this past couple of weeks. 

Many of the effects are faulting as well... this looks like it's the summer of survival for JP!
Aww no, that sucks! Well, I guess I finally get to see this black bag everyone keeps speaking of tomorrow.