Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic Park: The Ride (Now Closed)

Throwing this out there, and some of you may look at me crazy, but: is it possible that JPRA is nearing the end of its life (in a matter of years of course)? The ride is creaky, the constant refurbs never seem to fully patch up the issues and the theme is tired and especially dated with Jurassic World out. With new LL attractions and worlds on the way, could JPRA see its way out for possibly something else? Another boat ride perhaps? Or is JPRA just too enduring to ever leave?

Your thoughts?

Throwing this out there, and some of you may look at me crazy, but: is it possible that JPRA is nearing the end of its life (in a matter of years of course)? The ride is creaky, the constant refurbs never seem to fully patch up the issues and the theme is tired and especially dated with Jurassic World out. With new LL attractions and worlds on the way, could JPRA see its way out for possibly something else? Another boat ride perhaps? Or is JPRA just too enduring to ever leave?

Your thoughts?

If they don't upgrade it for the upcoming Jurassic World sequel, I think that it will close after Super Nintendo World opens. They could close it and be very creative with it as well. Maybe on the day it closes, all the sirens will start to buzz, and there will be a breach of dinosaurs on the Lower Lot, with a bunch of rangers trying to capture them, then they catch them and they close off the entrance to the ride. (I saw this in a Youtube comment 2 years ago. The person planned it out a lot better, but I think this would be cool)

Even with fiddling with the calculations of size for SNW of Japan; I would say you would need much more space than just JP, JP Outfitters, and Jurassic Dining to accommodate SNW over there.

There aren't many attractions at Universal that I would classify as safe, but I think Jurassic Park would be one of them. Topological nightmare aside, the ride has such a unique footprint and iconic brand that removing it would be akin to Disney removing It's a Small World. I just don't think it's ever going to happen, even with Universal's overzealous tendency to remove their legacy attractions.

As for Jurassic World, perhaps, but I would think they would try to refresh the attraction on the heels of Jurassic World's popularity. They haven't yet, and Universal has yet to show any signs that they're willing to overlay an already difficult ride to maintain. It could happen, but I'm a bit bearish on the idea - at least in the near future.

Even with fiddling with the calculations of size for SNW of Japan; I would say you would need much more space than just JP, JP Outfitters, and Jurassic Dining to accommodate SNW over there.

What if that wasn't the only part of SNW? What if it was just a piece?

Also, many water effects on other rides not withstanding, it's their only water ride, which are always proven draws for any amusement park.

What if the replacement was another boat ride?

To be fully transparent, I'm doing pure speculation here but a strong rumor for Nintendo attractions is a boat ride. JPRA is a boat ride that Universal seems exhausted of, and not necessarily due to its conveyance system. Jurassic World would be best situated somewhere else, for just like Jon said: topological reasons. There's no easy replacement for JP other than what's already there.

The point about the IP is strong, however the IP has changed and USH has yet to reflect that. So I can't just help but wonder...

I know this is a weird thing to say, but
If the Jurassic Park area has to be closed at some point, it better be closed the right way.
I'm saying, there better be a whole plan behind it.
Universal wouldn't tell the visitors that it was closing, instead, on closing day, there would be several raptors that would get out, disobeying the trainer and then going around to visitors and jumpscaring them, and then going after a few trained actors, biting them and taking them down, with the special effects and all. Over the speakers, alarms would play and people would be prompted to get out of the area immediately, and they would do so, and the gates of Jurassic Park would be closed, and right as the doors are near getting shut, a loud crunch, several wires snapping and loud thumps can be heard from the area of where the ride is, and a loud Spinosaurus roar, and a T-Rex roar. The employees at Jurassic Park would then yell that there had been a containment breach, and stop the gates, running inside as when they get in, the gates would shut, permanently.
Perfect way to go.

Universal wouldn't tell the visitors that it was closing, instead, on closing day, there would be several raptors that would get out, disobeying the trainer and then going around to visitors and jumpscaring them, and then going after a few trained actors, biting them and taking them down, with the special effects and all. Over the speakers, alarms would play and people would be prompted to get out of the area immediately, and they would do so, and the gates of Jurassic Park would be closed, and right as the doors are near getting shut, a loud crunch, several wires snapping and loud thumps can be heard from the area of where the ride is, and a loud Spinosaurus roar, and a T-Rex roar. The employees at Jurassic Park would then yell that there had been a containment breach, and stop the gates, running inside as when they get in, the gates would shut, permanently.

That sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure whether or not daytime guests would be comfortable with team members shouting at them like that. There's always a fine line between show and genuine panic, and this could veer into genuine if Universal didn't proceed cautiously.

I know this is a weird thing to say, but
If the Jurassic Park area has to be closed at some point, it better be closed the right way.
I'm saying, there better be a whole plan behind it.
Perfect way to go.

I'm not even kidding, you need to direct the next movie!  :D

With the next Jurassic park movie coming out next year, I think its pretty much Universal's last chance at doing a revamp for the ride.

With the next Jurassic park movie coming out next year, I think its pretty much Universal's last chance at doing a revamp for the ride.

I think with Kurtzweil out, this might be more likely. Around HHN is when we will probably know if they will do this. I can't imagine them waiting to do this until after the new movie comes out. 

I think with Kurtzweil out, this might be more likely. Around HHN is when we will probably know if they will do this. I can't imagine them waiting to do this until after the new movie comes out. 

yeah...there still have not been any hints of a renovation for this coming have there?

yeah...there still have not been any hints of a renovation for this coming have there?

2017/2018 - Jurassic World Enhancement - Rumor - (2/26/16) To help promote and make ties with last year’s Jurassic World film and the upcoming Jurassic World 2 film hitting theaters in Summer 2018, I’m hearing there is a plan to “enhance” and rebrand the park’s existing Jurassic Park ride into a slightly new “Jurassic World” experience. The ride system itself will remain unchanged, just look for some enhanced scenes, effects, and new Jurassic World branding. http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

Not too sure if they are a reliable source but this is apparently a rumor floating around. I'd take it with a grain of salt as I heard the same exact thing when the first one came out. It's obviously inevitable at this point, the ride is on it's last legs.

2017/2018 - Jurassic World Enhancement - Rumor - (2/26/16) To help promote and make ties with last year’s Jurassic World film and the upcoming Jurassic World 2 film hitting theaters in Summer 2018, I’m hearing there is a plan to “enhance” and rebrand the park’s existing Jurassic Park ride into a slightly new “Jurassic World” experience. The ride system itself will remain unchanged, just look for some enhanced scenes, effects, and new Jurassic World branding. http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

Not too sure if they are a reliable source but this is apparently a rumor floating around. I'd take it with a grain of salt as I heard the same exact thing when the first one came out. It's obviously inevitable at this point, the ride is on it's last legs.

That rumor has been going on for ages. One thing that has been talking about for a while now. That ride will either get a major refurbishment or will get the boot this year. Universal has grown to just not care for that ride the way they used to. The AAs back when it first opened were swift and beautiful. Now they are dull and choppy. Its quite sad to see what has come of this amazing ride. 

That was posted last February, nearly a year ago. That website has also posted similar rumors regarding the ride's refurbishment and reimagining tied to the new film(s), none of which have come to fruition. 

I kinda figured it would fall flat. Like many others have said here and outside of this thread, an update is something that will definitely happen. Whether it come as a concrete refurb or a closure, something will happen.