Jurassic River Adventure Refurbishment January 6 - 24, 2020 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic River Adventure Refurbishment January 6 - 24, 2020

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Posted recently to the UOR website.

I thought JP already hit rock bottom, yet here we are. Luckily it's relatively insignificant as it's "slow season" and cold; but it'll be hilarious to walk through those walls for those 3 weeks. This has to be rock bottom now, right? :lol:

When are we expecting Raptor Encounter to come up? I know they've been working on it tirelessly. Think it's possible they could bring them both online Jan 24th?

@Alicia

I thought JP already hit rock bottom, yet here we are. Luckily it's relatively insignificant as it's "slow season" and cold; but it'll be hilarious to walk through those walls for those 3 weeks. This has to be rock bottom now, right? :lol:

When are we expecting Raptor Encounter to come up? I know they've been working on it tirelessly. Think it's possible they could bring them both online Jan 24th?

@Alicia

Raptor Encounter is open.

Obviously with pandemic money is tighter than ever but man do some of the animatronics on this ride need some help and plain old maintenance. It really hurts to see them in rough shape as I’m such a huge JP fan. I think the theming, environments, and music on this ride don’t get enough credit for how great they are. It’s just a shame most of the dinosaurs look so rough. I was recently watching old videos on YouTube of this ride and of ET and it made me come to a realization of a major downside with AA’s we never talk about. The thing is we all prefer them to screens because they look real but when AA’s get older they get the shakes, move super slow or don’t move at all, and ultimately end up looking fake and lifeless And probably worse than a screen. Watching the old videos of ET it’s amazing how fluid, fast, and smooth some of the AA’s move, especially the final one that says your name. On the JPRA the parasaurolophus that knocks you off course used to lunge really high and fast out of the water. In recent years his head just popped up slow. Now he is just stuck in the up position looking petrified. The ultrasaur used to swing up and around smoothly. Now his neck just moves up and down with slow shaky motion. Has there ever been a ride where an AA has been restored to its original working glory? Why is it so hard to keep them working on their original state? It’s really a downside nobody seems to talk about with AA’s. I love them as much as the next person but it’s sad knowing most of them have a relatively short life of working how they were intended.

• Sad
Reactions: Clive
Obviously with pandemic money is tighter than ever but man do some of the animatronics on this ride need some help and plain old maintenance. It really hurts to see them in rough shape as I’m such a huge JP fan. I think the theming, environments, and music on this ride don’t get enough credit for how great they are. It’s just a shame most of the dinosaurs look so rough. I was recently watching old videos on YouTube of this ride and of ET and it made me come to a realization of a major downside with AA’s we never talk about. The thing is we all prefer them to screens because they look real but when AA’s get older they get the shakes, move super slow or don’t move at all, and ultimately end up looking fake and lifeless And probably worse than a screen. Watching the old videos of ET it’s amazing how fluid, fast, and smooth some of the AA’s move, especially the final one that says your name. On the JPRA the parasaurolophus that knocks you off course used to lunge really high and fast out of the water. In recent years his head just popped up slow. Now he is just stuck in the up position looking petrified. The ultrasaur used to swing up and around smoothly. Now his neck just moves up and down with slow shaky motion. Has there ever been a ride where an AA has been restored to its original working glory? Why is it so hard to keep them working on their original state? It’s really a downside nobody seems to talk about with AA’s. I love them as much as the next person but it’s sad knowing most of them have a relatively short life of working how they were intended.
Probably because they're outdoors and in the water. Two strikes against AA longevity.

I was in the park on Jan 25th. Literally the day after this refurb, and the ride still looked REALLY REALLY rough. Once the new coaster opens, I'm thinking it needs to shut down completely and get a 100% refurb or a conversion to JW.

Reactions: Adam RG and Grabnar
I was in the park on Jan 25th. Literally the day after this refurb, and the ride still looked REALLY REALLY rough. Once the new coaster opens, I'm thinking it needs to shut down completely and get a 100% refurb or a conversion to JW.

That stinks because they still had money then to fix some things! It’s just in a sad state and will probably make it an easier decision for them to copy over the JW refurb in the future.

A major refurbishment, I'm totally in favor of.

Not a fan of bringing over the JW version, unless it's substantially different from what Hollywood got.

I agree. Though the “new” version of the JW ride with improved Predator cove and A mode Indo Rex seems pretty cool. I’m just such a fan of the original movie and aesthetic. That’s why in a perfect world they could refurb JPRA it to its original working condition. It would be so cool to have JW for Hollywood and JP for Orlando. I really think Universal should focus on highlighting differences in each park rather than cloning them to make it so you want to visit both places.

I agree. Though the “new” version of the JW ride with improved Predator cove and A mode Indo Rex seems pretty cool. I’m just such a fan of the original movie and aesthetic. That’s why in a perfect world they could refurb JPRA it to its original working condition. It would be so cool to have JW for Hollywood and JP for Orlando. I really think Universal should focus on highlighting differences in each park rather than cloning them to make it so you want to visit both places.

It comes down to two things for me:

1. I have zero emotional attachment to the JURASSIC WORLD movies (they're fine mindless blockbusters, but that's all), but I have a deep emotional attachment to JURASSIC PARK. I'd like something of substance to remain JP-centric in the land.
2. I want as many dinosaur AAs as possible to remain part of River Adventure. Ideally, even more would be added at some point, but I'm certainly not hoping to see the mosasaur screen tunnel replace the expansive first scene of the ride (which, in fairness, needs a lot of love).

Reactions: Coolbfitz
It comes down to two things for me:

1. I have zero emotional attachment to the JURASSIC WORLD movies (they're fine mindless blockbusters, but that's all), but I have a deep emotional attachment to JURASSIC PARK. I'd like something of substance to remain JP-centric in the land.
2. I want as many dinosaur AAs as possible to remain part of River Adventure. Ideally, even more would be added at some point, but I'm certainly not hoping to see the mosasaur screen tunnel replace the expansive first scene of the ride (which, in fairness, needs a lot of love).

I’m not that low on JW but still prefer JP. I agree though that as sorry of a state that it’s in, I really like the ultrasaur lagoon and the gate over the screen. Honestly if they could just make his neck move smooth again it would be fine.

Damn, gonna miss it on my January trip by a few days. Really hope they keep it Jurassic Park for the foreseeable future. I may be blinded by nostalgia but Jurassic World just feels so much colder and blander by comparison.

Edit: Wow I am really stupid next year is 2021 :bonk:

Damn, gonna miss it on my January trip by a few days. Really hope they keep it Jurassic Park for the foreseeable future. I may be blinded by nostalgia but Jurassic World just feels so much colder and blander by comparison.

Edit: Wow I am really stupid next year is 2021 :bonk:

Depends on when you're going, it's close this year Jan 11 - 29.