Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the head trex should be replaced with an elevated screen scene of the trex and irex fighting, kind of like in Shanghai pirates when Jack and Davy Jones have the sword fight. Then they could use practical effects of the floor above you bending and pipes breaking and splashing down on us in the vehicle, i-beams snapping etc... my hopes at least, That head animatronic has to go!
No please. We need more animatronics. Highly functional and impressive animatronics, considering that it's likely that the First Order ride on Galaxy's Edge will have big and awesome set pieces. I don't know if the gigantic AT AT will have any movement, but there will be almost full size AT ATs inside the building

Reactions: Ryno27 and Freak
The whole problem with a screen heavy attraction in Universal is that all rides are screen based on Universal. The only one completely screen free was JP. Even The Mummy has some screens, granted they are only 3 and they are really minimal but the case is that the only ride with no screens at all was JP. Now there is the possibility of screens and it is a tricky thing. Even though projection mapping is not really a screen, when done wrong is exactly that, like what they did with Kung Fu Panda. It might not be using a screen per se but they just replaced the screen with the walls and call it a day. It doesn't really enhance the attraction, it just extends the screen to the walls. When done right it enhances the ride, i.e. Indiana Jones and the projection mapping on Mara. I really hope they tone down the screens and projection mapping and only use it sparingly, or use it to enhance the ride, since all the rides in the upper lot except for Potter and Flight of the Hippogryff are only screens (you might argue that The Walking Dead as well). I will just wait and see what Uni pulls off.

Reactions: marip123
Even though projection mapping is not really a screen, when done wrong is exactly that, like what they did with Kung Fu Panda. It might not be using a screen per se but they just replaced the screen with the walls and call it a day. It doesn't really enhance the attraction, it just extends the screen to the walls.

I'm sorry, but it's the Dreamworks Theatre. Like, it's a theatre; it's supposed to have a screen. I think the use of projection mapping elevates it beyond the simple screen attraction its predecessor, Shrek 4-D, was. The way they use the technology in DWT creates an incredibly intense, immersive action sequence that gives me chills every time I watch it. To say that their use of projection mapping is wrong or lazy is, in my opinion, totally missing the point of the attraction.

That being said, I do agree that the use of projection mapping as it is used in DWT would not be suited or really possible for the kind of attraction that Jurassic World will be. They'd essentially have to case the entire ride track in walls/screens to be projected onto, like King Kong 360-3D. I can see some of the interior scenes, like the tunnel lift, using them in that way, but we know from those leaked photos that, at the very least, the Grand Finale is planned to feature animatronics. If they're smart about it, the use of mapping in the exterior scenes would be limited to adding depth to the environment or to blocking out unwanted sight lines, like seeing Super Silly Fun Land towering above Ultrasaurus Lagoon. As long as it is a screen enhanced attraction and not a screen based attraction, I think we'll be just fine.

No please. We need more animatronics. Highly functional and impressive animatronics, considering that it's likely that the First Order ride on Galaxy's Edge will have big and awesome set pieces. I don't know if the gigantic AT AT will have any movement, but there will be almost full size AT ATs inside the building

I'm just being realistic. To think we are going to get multiple new full size AAs is a joke. We know we are getting at least 2 new/referb Rexs for the finale just before the drop. I've learned to control my expectations of more than that.

And my main point is that first Trex head is such an embarrassing AA feature, I'd rather have an elevated screen scene staging up the finale than another sad head AA gag.

The ATATs will be static, maybe some cannon motion and light effects around the head. Legs will most definitely be stationary though, you can tell by the early construction framing.

I'm sorry, but it's the Dreamworks Theatre. Like, it's a theatre; it's supposed to have a screen. I think the use of projection mapping elevates it beyond the simple screen attraction its predecessor, Shrek 4-D, was. The way they use the technology in DWT creates an incredibly intense, immersive action sequence that gives me chills every time I watch it. To say that their use of projection mapping is wrong or lazy is, in my opinion, totally missing the point of the attraction.

That being said, I do agree that the use of projection mapping as it is used in DWT would not be suited or really possible for the kind of attraction that Jurassic World will be. They'd essentially have to case the entire ride track in walls/screens to be projected onto, like King Kong 360-3D. I can see some of the interior scenes, like the tunnel lift, using them in that way, but we know from those leaked photos that, at the very least, the Grand Finale is planned to feature animatronics. If they're smart about it, the use of mapping in the exterior scenes would be limited to adding depth to the environment or to blocking out unwanted sight lines, like seeing Super Silly Fun Land towering above Ultrasaurus Lagoon. As long as it is a screen enhanced attraction and not a screen based attraction, I think we'll be just fine.
Dreamworks Theater or not, reality is that the park has too many screens. It is an upgrade from Shrek but, still not on the top of my list. I have gone with 6 different people and they all agree with my opinion. Again just in close proximity we have 3 screen based rides. The main point is that projection mapping can either be a cheap trick or something that really enhances an attraction. We will see what we get.

The more intriguing thing, actually revolves around the T-Rex. I guess they decided to just go with a newer model, one with more Teeth.

Interesting to see the pit, and I'm not shocked about the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.