Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can’t get excited for this. I’ve read all the arguments for this. I completely understand them. I still have to disagree. This is just my opinion.

Jurassic Park is one of the most beloved films of all time. All of the sequels, especially JW, aren’t as well regarded and aren’t as memorable as the first, and that has nothing to do with “the first is always the best”. I’ve seen JW twice and I still can’t remember much from it. Granted this is my opinion but I can’t see how, even fans of the film, would say it’s fine to replace the original with JW. Imagine if they replaced the original Star Tours and have it only be about the prequels, then you’d understand my feelings here.

The ride desperately needed an upgrade, especially the animatronics, I won’t deny that, but JW’s color scheme is just so ugly to me. It was already weak enough when they replaced the dinosaur skins to make them look more like JW but to have that be a reference to what the rest of this will look like will just be disappointing, especially if they will add screens to this, which could work, I guess, since that Shanghai Pirates ride looks pretty cool but I doubt they can integrate them well here but admittedly, we’ll see.

But hey, I could be wrong and look like a fool. I still have the right to be skeptical. If it’s good, it’s good. I’m just surprised there’s not much uproar over this like for Mission Breakout.

A ride based on a cult TV show and cloned from the superior original gets replaced by a ride based on a recently beloved franchise? Disney needs to burn to the ground!

A ride based on one of the most famous films ever gets rethemed to an HIGHLY inferior sequel? Meh, it happens.

Just my &0.02

No worries my man, I know that we all love rides that were cherished upon us since our childhood. Let's face the facts, the JP ride is still the surviving classic ride attraction in the L.A. park, along with Jaws and Earthquake at the Studio Tour. However, the fact also remains that the original Jurassic Park was terribly neglected by Universal for almost a decade and there was no significant amount of divestment of resources to keep the ride the same way it was before. The animatronics are old, the falling jeep does not have the heart to do things effectively anymore, the animatronics keeps on breaking down often, etc, and so on. And it's not even that old, it's a 22 years old attraction that needs serious repairing and refurbishment to get the ride back on track as usual, and Universal doesn't want to want time to spend new money on animatronics that would likely break down with a few weeks or months due to the pacing of the ride just to get a storm of criticism again.

As far as the Guardians of the Galaxy vs JW retheming comparison goes, well, I could think of many reasons why. For many people, the GOTG ride took place in a California Adventure park, where it's supposed to be about California. It felt out of place, especially the Tower of Terror at DCA was hugely popular among Disneyland guests, and fits well in the Hollywood theme. So it wasn't a retheming or anything like that, it was the replacement of IP with another.

Jurassic World is part of the Jurassic Park franchise, so it's the same IP, and is located in the park where you can "ride the movies". JW also made a bunch of money far more than the first Jurassic Park, and they decide to retheme it in order to stay relevant to the guests. It's also to replace the aging and badly maintained animatronics that the guests/fans constantly complain so much. JW is also not that bad of a movie, despite the character/plot flaws, and it was an improvement over the two previous JP movies, which are very mediocre and sloppy in terms of character flaws and were being put just to keep the franchise going due to the popularity of the first movie.

Jurassic Park ride finally have the answer and that is to retheme and reconstruct the match with the scenes from the Jurassic World franchise instead of the first one. I'm the big fan of the first movie, but with the way it is now, I have no problem being replaced doing whatever it can to make the ride more exciting and hope to long-ever lasting practical effects. Hopefully, it will put most of the complaint about the practical effects not working as it used to be.

Reactions: illumination
I had no problem with the GotG retheme because I felt as an "elevator" it never really worked. The doors opened and you had to walk through the unload corridor to another set of doors to get onboard so the theme is disturbed right there. Backing away from the elevator door at the very beginning also worked against it. Now, using that same backing away as part of the story improved it a lot.

Wonder if they decide to make it a dilapidated JW after the movies or the current style of the park being normal with something bad happening at the end.
Since the ride will feature the Indominus rex, seems this will take place when "the park is open" time period, during the events of the first film when she escapes her enclosure. By the next film she's long dead (spoilers lol.)

Calling it now, Mosasaur's a screen.

Indominus could be great as an AA figure though, especially if Creature Tech is doing it!

Just curious, are you a Hollywood insider, or just an Orlando one?

PS I'm willing to be you money that it won't be a SCREENZ Mosasaur, but half of an AA.

Just curious, are you a Hollywood insider, or just an Orlando one?

PS I'm willing to be you money that it won't be a SCREENZ Mosasaur, but half of an AA.
Mostly Orlando. And I don’t have any inside details on this project.

I was mainly being cheeky with the screen comment. After thinking about it, a forced perspective AA scene for the Mosasaur shark feeding could be cool, if done well. That animal is just far too big in the films to be done full size on the ride. Maybe if he doesn’t come out of the water much, so only his head popping out.

I’m wondering if it could be the new first scene after the gate, replacing the long necks. That way it’s during a part of the ride where things haven’t gone wrong yet, and in a (fairly) open water section.

I was mainly being cheeky with the screen comment. After thinking about it, a forced perspective AA scene for the Mosasaur shark feeding could be cool, if done well. That animal is just far too big in the films to be done full size on the ride. Maybe if he doesn’t come out of the water much, so only his head popping out.

I’m wondering if it could be the new first scene after the gate, replacing the long necks. That way it’s during a part of the ride where things haven’t gone wrong yet, and in a (fairly) open water section.

Didn't they mention the Mosasaur is going to knock the boat off track? Can't it be under the boat and then you see its back breach right where the Hydrosaur is now?

Didn't they mention the Mosasaur is going to knock the boat off track? Can't it be under the boat and then you see its back breach right where the Hydrosaur is now?
Not that I saw?

In 2019, face Indominus rex when she makes her world premiere in the new, high-tech Jurassic World. Journey to where living dinosaurs roam the earth in the part expedition, part heart-pounding water ride based on the blockbuster film franchise.

On this river-raft adventure, get doused as a colossal Mosasaursus dives for its great white shark snack. But the real danger lies ahead when the brutal Indominus rex escapes its enclosure. Be prepared when a 50-foot Tyrannosaurs rex comes to your rescue… right before your final plunge down a treacherous 84-foot waterfall.

And plan to experience the original Jurassic Park®- The Ride one final time before it becomes extinct on Sept. 3, 2018!

Reactions: Ryno27
Not that I saw?

In 2019, face Indominus rex when she makes her world premiere in the new, high-tech Jurassic World. Journey to where living dinosaurs roam the earth in the part expedition, part heart-pounding water ride based on the blockbuster film franchise.

On this river-raft adventure, get doused as a colossal Mosasaursus dives for its great white shark snack. But the real danger lies ahead when the brutal Indominus rex escapes its enclosure. Be prepared when a 50-foot Tyrannosaurs rex comes to your rescue… right before your final plunge down a treacherous 84-foot !waterfall.

And plan to experience the original Jurassic Park®- The Ride one final time before it becomes extinct on Sept. 3, 2018!

Ah got it, sorry!

To me this sounds like they're going to get rid of the destroyed raptor enclosure and just put in the giant destroyed doors from the Indominus rex enclosure but idk
That was my impression as well. Swap out one escaped enclosure for another. A gray concrete structure for another shouldn’t be too difficult.

Reactions: Ryno27 and marip123

That would be pretty sweet having it in the beginning of the ride, but I'm thinking they would want to save the reveal toward the middle/end.

By the way, I really like your enthusiasm & knowledge of the parks. I've previously mentioned how I wish we had a West Coast Version of Alicia Stella on the USH forums. I've religiously read your Super Nintendo World updates, especially the DK coaster bits. I'm super stoked that one of our insiders revealed that Hollywood is also getting DK.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Alicia
I just can’t get excited for this. I’ve read all the arguments for this. I completely understand them. I still have to disagree. This is just my opinion.

Jurassic Park is one of the most beloved films of all time. All of the sequels, especially JW, aren’t as well regarded and aren’t as memorable as the first, and that has nothing to do with “the first is always the best”. I’ve seen JW twice and I still can’t remember much from it. Granted this is my opinion but I can’t see how, even fans of the film, would say it’s fine to replace the original with JW. Imagine if they replaced the original Star Tours and have it only be about the prequels, then you’d understand my feelings here.

The ride desperately needed an upgrade, especially the animatronics, I won’t deny that, but JW’s color scheme is just so ugly to me. It was already weak enough when they replaced the dinosaur skins to make them look more like JW but to have that be a reference to what the rest of this will look like will just be disappointing, especially if they will add screens to this, which could work, I guess, since that Shanghai Pirates ride looks pretty cool but I doubt they can integrate them well here but admittedly, we’ll see.

But hey, I could be wrong and look like a fool. I still have the right to be skeptical. If it’s good, it’s good. I’m just surprised there’s not much uproar over this like for Mission Breakout.

A ride based on a cult TV show and cloned from the superior original gets replaced by a ride based on a recently beloved franchise? Disney needs to burn to the ground!

A ride based on one of the most famous films ever gets rethemed to an HIGHLY inferior sequel? Meh, it happens.

Just my &0.02

I just don't get it, I really really don't. Jurassic Park The Ride and Jurassic World The Ride will be almost the exact same attraction just with shiny upgrades, new AAs and a buttload of new paint. It's still dinos, it's still the same layout, it's still generally the same experience. There isn't even a real new story. What was JPRA's story? "Go on a raft ride, things go horribly wrong and you're nearly eaten by a dinosaur". That's.... exactly the same story. There will be minimal screens, and honestly the actual references to the film will be so minimal in the long run.

Now if you're a huge fan of the color scheme, eh ok. A huge fan of the current preshow... yeah okay time to start getting worried. But this is not as drastic of a change as so many are fearing. It's just a new coat of paint on something that badly needs it. GotG and Twilight Zone are massively different franchises. Changing it out forced a huge bulk of the planted themeing of the park to be horrifically displaced. Nothing even close to that is happening here. So yeah, I can't help but shrug.

Since the ride will feature the Indominus rex, seems this will take place when "the park is open" time period, during the events of the first film when she escapes her enclosure. By the next film she's long dead (spoilers lol.)

Which happens to be the exact idea behind the Jurassic World exhibit...

Reactions: captainmoch
Status
Not open for further replies.