King Kong Origin Series (Disney+) | Inside Universal Forums

King Kong Origin Series (Disney+)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
In weird, out of nowhere news...

Is King Kong recently into the public domain? There's a ton of shows in development for Kong right now. This one, an animated show at Netflix, and a live action show at Apple TV+.

Wait.....I thought Kong was WB?
The WB Kong is their Kong and cannot be replicated. If it's now public domain though, that means anyone can make their own version of Kong, much like how there's a Winnie The Pooh horror movie coming out next year. Within the next 20-30 years, a lot of iconic IP will become free for anyone to use.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I don't know the full history of the KONG rights, but this may stem from the fact that the original 1933 KING KONG (an RKO production, now owned by WB) and its novelization by Delos W. Lovelace were considered to be two separate creative efforts at that time with their own rights. This is why there were competing KONG projects in the 1970s from two different studios, Paramount and Universal (only Paramount's got made).

So I would guess that whatever rights are allowing Disney to pursue this are coming from that book.

It's crazy -- but nice -- to see Kong being a hot character again!

I don't know the full history of the KONG rights, but this may stem from the fact that the original 1933 KING KONG (an RKO production, now owned by WB) and its novelization by Delos W. Lovelace were considered to be two separate creative efforts at that time with their own rights. This is why there were competing KONG projects in the 1970s from two different studios, Paramount and Universal (only Paramount's got made).

So I would guess that whatever rights are allowing Disney to pursue this are coming from that book.

It's crazy -- but nice -- to see Kong being a hot character again!
The 1933 King Kong is now Public Domain from what I just looked up (just like the 1928 Mickey Mouse will be in 2 years if Disney can't manage to get that stalled again).

The 1933 King Kong is now Public Domain from what I just looked up (just like the 1928 Mickey Mouse will be in 2 years if Disney can't manage to get that stalled again).

Looks like it's even more complex than that:

Basically the novelization -- and therefore, in effect, the character of King Kong -- is in public domain, and can be used as the basis for any KONG project as long as elements from that book are included and permission is granted by the Merian C. Cooper estate. And individual studios can then own trademarks that make their versions/interpretations of the character unique and distinct.

The 1933 film is still fully controlled by WB until (at least) 2029. Then it seems like it might enter public domain, meaning that visual iconography and elements specific to that movie would then be fair game for anybody to use.

Reactions: Nick
Looks like it's even more complex than that:

Basically the novelization -- and therefore, in effect, the character of King Kong -- is in public domain, and can be used as the basis for any KONG project as long as elements from that book are included and permission is granted by the Merian C. Cooper estate. And individual studios can then own trademarks that make their versions/interpretations of the character unique and distinct.

The 1933 film is still fully controlled by WB until (at least) 2029. Then it seems like it might enter public domain, meaning that visual iconography and elements specific to that movie would then be fair game for anybody to use.
This sounds like a lot of.... monkey business.
:rimshot:

• Haha
Reactions: belloq87
So if this is successful we could have King Kong attactions at Universal and Disney? insane time to be alive