Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

How do they even begin to justify that price? They will be successful but how many more subscriptions will this add? That’s an Endgame type budget

EDIT: to be clear, I loved the first movie. I’m really excited for the follow-ups. I just don’t get it for Netflix.

How do they even begin to justify that price? They will be successful but how many more subscriptions will this add? That’s an Endgame type budget

EDIT: to be clear, I loved the first movie. I’m really excited for the follow-ups. I just don’t get it for Netflix.

From what the article suggests--this was a three way bidding race between Amazon, Apple, and Netflix; as it would lock in for two films. As opposed, to when MGM was trying to sell No Time To Die for 600 Million.

That'd mean 200M per movie, for this case.

What I don’t get is why it’s necessary. The first film was amazing and only had a $40M budget.

Obviously they aren’t going to turn down money, but I feel like with a smaller budget, it forces you to be more creative, which, with this type of movie, I feel is a good thing.

What I don’t get is why it’s necessary. The first film was amazing and only had a $40M budget.

Obviously they aren’t going to turn down money, but I feel like with a smaller budget, it forces you to be more creative. Bigger budgets can often lead to lazy movies.

What interests me is that there's some production specifics. The next film, Knives Out II, will begin production incredibly soon--on June 28th in Greece. And that as it stands, casting is now officially underway. I get the sense that for the sake of these sequels, we'll see a more global side for LeBlanc as a detective; and it would make sense considering the 200M for each film. Additionally, if each film will differ, that means Rian should already have the core plot for both Knives Out II and III ready, meaning this might be a quick turnaround (that way, to allow him to get to work on his Star Wars project too).

It certainly is a highly fascinating choice. And I wonder how soon we'll hear on casting for the ensemble of Knives Out II.

What interests me is that there's some production specifics. The next film, Knives Out II, will begin production incredibly soon--on June 28th in Greece. And that as it stands, casting is now officially underway. I get the sense that for the sake of these sequels, we'll see a more global side for LeBlanc as a detective; and it would make sense considering the 200M for each film. Additionally, if each film will differ, that means Rian should already have the core plot for both Knives Out II and III ready, meaning this might be a quick turnaround (that way, to allow him to get to work on his Star Wars project too).

It certainly is a highly fascinating choice. And I wonder how soon we'll hear on casting for the ensemble of Knives Out II.
I hope Netflix still gives these films a theatrical release. They’d be leaving a lot of money on the table if they don’t and much like Scorsese, Rian Johnson still fights for that theatrical experience.

I hope Netflix still gives these films a theatrical release. They’d be leaving a lot of money on the table if they don’t and much like Scorsese, Rian Johnson still fights for that theatrical experience.

They'd be dumb if they didn't. Knives Out should be a "big" IP that should work out well theatrically, even in limited runs like Mank, The Irishman, and other films.

I imagine they’ll at least do a limited one for Oscar purposes.

I’d be satisfied if they did a nationwide release for even just a weekend.

As far as casting comes, I sincerely hope for either II or III, that Rian gives Joseph Gordon-Levitt an actual role and not just the small cameo in the first. I would love to see him dunking with Craig's Leblanc in any way or shape.

Huh. The first did well in theaters - I wonder why the streaming bidding war even happened at all? Either way, I'm thrilled we now have 2 confirmed sequels coming pretty soon, it seems.

I imagine they’ll at least do a limited one for Oscar purposes.

I’d be satisfied if they did a nationwide release for even just a weekend.
After the pandemic, they have more leverage for a wider release with theaters thanks to shorter theatrical windows. Cinemark is already on board with Netflix releases.

Probably because Rian and Craig got a deal that would give them more control/money than they would have gotten with a theatrical partner.

Probably because Rian and Craig got a deal that would give them more control/money than they would have gotten with a theatrical partner.
I understand why the filmmakers would want a higher budget, I don't get why Netflix thinks it needs one is my point.

So first of all, we were talking about this all wrong. It was $450M just for Netflix to acquire the rights without talking about budget and now we're learning that Daniel Craig, Ram Bergman and Rian Johnson ALL will be making ~$100M from this deal individually.

Also coming out in The Hollywood Reporter is that each movie has to have a budget at least as high as the first Knives Out, which was $40M.

So, to break it down, Netflix is spending...
Rights cost: $469M
Money to Rian/Bergman/Craig: $300M
Minimum budget: $80M ($40M per movie at least)

Total, before filming: $849M for two movies

So first of all, we were talking about this all wrong. It was $450M just for Netflix to acquire the rights without talking about budget and now we're learning that Daniel Craig, Ram Bergman and Rian Johnson ALL will be making ~$100M from this deal individually.

Also coming out in The Hollywood Reporter is that each movie has to have a budget at least as high as the first Knives Out, which was $40M.

So, to break it down, Netflix is spending...
Rights cost: $469M
Money to Rian/Bergman/Craig: $300M
Minimum budget: $80M ($40M per movie at least)

Total, before filming: $849M for two movies

Hmmm, perhaps. That would make this make a lot more sense. So $300M for upfront costs with Rian/Bergman/Craig would mean they “only” paid $169M for the rights.

$50M/movie is just stupid for Daniel Craig though. Not disrespecting Craig as an actor, but the only thing he’s really widely known for is Bond, it’s not like he’s a marquee RDJ as Iron Man level star.

What happens now when they are negotiating with stars like Dwayne Johnson or something? All of a sudden, their market value has skyrocketed if Daniel Craig is making $50M/movie to reprise a role he played in a film that only grossed barely over $300M Worldwide.