Last spin for the Mummy's tomb/ Ice tunnel | Inside Universal Forums

Last spin for the Mummy's tomb/ Ice tunnel

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Hopefully I can get one last spin before it leaves. It will be a bit sad seeing this stop go.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many things leaving in September.

Gibson, Curious George, Mummy Tunnel, Flintstones.

I have a feeling it may be a Kong clone, and that it will be the attraction of 2015. It also better represent this franchise better than it's predecessor.

I will miss the Mummy Tunnel, but I'm very excited for F&F 3D  :D .

Not surprised at all. Had a lovely conversation about this with one of the tour guides. We both agreed it's a smart placement for the new segment. It'll be 3D so you'll HAVE to keep your glasses till the end instead of throwing them over the tram. And it'll pack a punch and be an exciting ending to the tour.

It will definitely be better than the previous F&F crud, but I'm not exactly excited that it's going to be King Kong 360 3D: Car Edition. Not exactly revolutionary. BUT the 3D will probably be better quality. It'll be 4K, and since F&F sequences are usually at night, there's a lot of "black" backgrounds, which will help make the chade sequences in the attraction more realistic and better help hide the fact where the screens end, and where the ceiling ends (unlike Kong, where you can clear as day see the tops and bottoms of the screens because of the semi-bright animation.

There's no other realistic and exciting way to do it though, so bring it in! I'm excited to have the tram race the cars :) I hope at least SOME new effects or technology will be used.

I will, however, very much miss the nausea inducing (but classic) spinning tunnel. It has such history and has been a staple on thr Tour forever. I will really miss it. I definitely will try to catch it before it closes! Funny, BTTF also closed on Sept 3rd...

I wonder what will replace the Gasolina The Ride? Small area so wouldn't have much of a significance. Would be cool to incorporate that "arena" as part of the Jurassic Park area and maybe show off how animatronics can work on kuka arms? Or maybe make it a Back To The Future segment. Have a fiberglass DeLorean replace the BMW and have a little forced perspective Hill Valley set with special effects?

Reactions: JaySalahi and steve
This makes me sad. The ice tunnel is one of the things I loved most as a child and I've only got to experience it twice (once as the ice tunnel and once as mummy). I unfortunately won't be able to make it to the park before it closes. :(

It is kind of a bummer to see this go. I was never that much of a fan of the spinning part, but when the "scarab beetles" invade the tram at the end, I always have a good laugh. Good to see F&F getting something new, though!

More 3D.

I can see 3D at my local movie theater. I have a 3D capable TV at home. When I go to Universal I want to "Ride the Movies" not watch a 3D movie. Yep, the F&F dancing cars was stupid but I would love to see something "real" using F&F rather than another 3D movie. When will they remove Earthquake and turn that into a 3D movie...

Reactions: Jon Fu
I doubt we'll ever lose our Earthquake completely unless it burns down. I can only see them slightly retheming it eventually but not removing, considering if they want to add a new attraction on the tour, it's a lot easier to find land SOMEWHERE as opposed to finding land in the main park.

I do wanna stress one thing....3D will be great for this new attraction. I'm sick to my stomach of new 3D "attractions" at USH, but realistically speaking, it's the ONLY realistic way to have an action packed fast paced F&F attraction on the TOUR that would have the tram participate in the action.

So...I say...bring it on! I do hope we'll eventually get a new physical attraction on the tour like the old Kong and Earthquake.

"Fast and the furious ya'll..Jaboo roll oh yeah YEAHHHH!" or...something like that...

More 3D.

I can see 3D at my local movie theater. I have a 3D capable TV at home. When I go to Universal I want to "Ride the Movies" not watch a 3D movie. Yep, the F&F dancing cars was stupid but I would love to see something "real" using F&F rather than another 3D movie. When will they remove Earthquake and turn that into a 3D movie...
I hear you. Say what you want about Disney, but it was real refreshing seeing attractions built on practical effects on a large scale.

I doubt we'll ever lose our Earthquake completely unless it burns down. I can only see them slightly retheming it eventually but not removing, considering if they want to add a new attraction on the tour, it's a lot easier to find land SOMEWHERE as opposed to finding land in the main park.

I do wanna stress one thing....3D will be great for this new attraction. I'm sick to my stomach of new 3D "attractions" at USH, but realistically speaking, it's the ONLY realistic way to have an action packed fast paced F&F attraction on the TOUR that would have the tram participate in the action.

So...I say...bring it on! I do hope we'll eventually get a new physical attraction on the tour like the old Kong and Earthquake.

"Fast and the furious ya'll..Jaboo roll oh yeah YEAHHHH!" or...something like that...
If they do make this 4k, will they make guests hold on to two pairs of 3D glasses? Or will they refurnish King Kong to make it 4k compatible?

I'm pretty sure that polarizing 3D (which Kong uses) can be made in 4K. So I think it'll definitely be polarizing 3D. It's good tech for the tram, less cross talk and good for the different angles. It might be 2K like Kong, but I hope it will be 4K....

It actually would be fairly simple to remaster Kong in 4K. They can go to the original digital files and just master it on 4K for the new files. We'll see :)

^ and yeah, it's nice that Disney does have more actual sets and physical rides. USF used to have amazing "physical" rides, like Kong.

But for F&F on the tour, 3D is the best option IMO, even as sick of 3D as i am.

It actually would be fairly simple to remaster Kong in 4K. They can go to the original digital files and just master it on 4K for the new files.
That's the thing, it's not quite that easy. If the masters were made in a certain resolution and they're digital, there's no easy way to increase their resolution without upscaling. It's not like film in that the masters are still being produced at a resolution higher than most digital projectors.

But with CGI, I'm sure all the original animation is built and stored in some file. I know what you're talkin' about, but I think if they go back to not the original digital master but the workable WETA file(s), I'm sure WETA would be able to remaster it in 4K. You know what I'm getting at ;)