Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

I have been fleshing out ideas for a Hanna Barbara land at USH if the WBD NBCU deal were to become a reality. This land would go where the tram area is now And would consist of three things to do. The first one is an E ticket that would be where you enter the land and would expand over the hill side. This would take inspiration from the concept that is the upcoming Avengers multiverse attraction coming to DCA. The premise is you would team up with all major Hanna Barbara characters to stop Dick Dastardly and the Hooded Claw from unraveling the universe. With SCOOB WB wanted to do a Hanna Barbara cinematic universe and if they were to try it again this attraction could have the media updated easily to include new characters if need be. This would be a trackless ride if Universal was willing to try trackless rides again. The second ride would be a C-D ticket and would be a Midway Mania like attraction themed to Scooby Doo. The premise would be while investigating a haunted LA mansion Mystery Inc finds out it is a trap and are captured and it is up to us the guests to save them. And finally in the space behind Jimmy Buffett would go a stage show. USH is losing SES and AA and will need a new stage show down the line to make up for them.

I usually avoid these threads as it mostly amounts of wishful thinking but right now with the surprise announcements this week I feel this sudden creative interest in the parks again. Anyway, lets look at the next 8 7 years at UOR plus some regional park ideas.

USF
  • We are staring down the operational lifetime of HRRR, MIB, and Simpsons. Of these three MIB feels gets the Mummy treatment of a brain transplant to keep it going, Simpsons gets removed, and HRRR is removed for another coaster.
  • MiB upgrade would take place after Epic reopens and USF attendance takes a dip. Replace the control system, upgrade the effects, referesh the attraction, etc. Maybe even add another ending or something.
  • Simpsons - if Universal keeps the contract then I hope they remove the simulator and put in a MMRR like attraction that is a gag a second tour of springfield like the opening of the TV show and it is set to the theme song. Ending is random couch gag using projection mapping and physical props. Attraction is trackless too. If they don't keep the SImpsons license then pick another property with a robust food and beverage program to take over. Lets just say, Pokemon.
  • F&F:S is clearly an issue in the park, I think Universal could go with a two birds one stone solution and use this location for an indoor/outdoor coaster based on USH's new F&F Hollywood Drift ride.
  • HRRR queue and load is then reclaimed by the park along with the old Nick soundstages for a new music plaza stage with quicker access in/out of CityWalk. Current area becomes a new small attraction like Pets.
IOA

IOA has three issues - Sindband theater, Lost Continent, and Toon Lagoon Theater. Each of these things feels hinged on one question - what's going on with Zelda. This is obviously the location for any Zelda expansion since rumors pointed to it before the pandemic.
  • If Zelda replaces Lost Continent then it's likely Sindbad goes too, with Unviersal adjusting the Hogwarts Express queue. Zelda will be a whole new land with a major family attraction, food and dining (Mythos remains!), interactive elements, and lots of water for the Islands theme. This then will likely keep the TL theater for outside events (RtU, etc).
  • Zelda doesn't replace Lost Continent I see a new show in the Sindbad theater, maybe themed to Madigascar? TL theater is removed for SLoP with a cartoon New York facade that bridges MSHI and Comic Strip Lane.
VB

Finally use the expansion pad and add more cabanas, one of those wave pad things, a small wading pool, and a bar/lounge/restroom complex. The bar and lounge would be tucked away in a massive rock formation at the end of the property, by Turkey Lake and I-4. There will be large cliffs with small waterfalls going into the pool area. The wave pad would be next to the bar with a small queue area and then a 4" deep ool area with large zero entry area. The cabanas will be located on the border of the existing park and this expansion area.

Hotels

Can't believe it but it's almost time for Cabana Bay's refresh - we already got Shakes so I'm hoping they revisit the pool areas, refresh the rooms with some new features (USB-C, more storage, etc). What I'd love to see are some additional room types - a double suite that combines the two family suites into one villa like accomidation with a small kitchen, larger living room, and two separate sleeping areas w/restrooms.

After that Universal should take their attention to Aventura, which still ranks low in a lot of guest surveys. With such a small property could this be Unviersal's first kids hotel? Lean more into adult resort feel? Right now the Miami chic rooms just aren't hitting.

I usually avoid these threads as it mostly amounts of wishful thinking but right now with the surprise announcements this week I feel this sudden creative interest in the parks again. Anyway, lets look at the next 8 7 years at UOR plus some regional park ideas.

USF
  • We are staring down the operational lifetime of HRRR, MIB, and Simpsons. Of these three MIB feels gets the Mummy treatment of a brain transplant to keep it going, Simpsons gets removed, and HRRR is removed for another coaster.
  • MiB upgrade would take place after Epic reopens and USF attendance takes a dip. Replace the control system, upgrade the effects, referesh the attraction, etc. Maybe even add another ending or something.
  • Simpsons - if Universal keeps the contract then I hope they remove the simulator and put in a MMRR like attraction that is a gag a second tour of springfield like the opening of the TV show and it is set to the theme song. Ending is random couch gag using projection mapping and physical props. Attraction is trackless too. If they don't keep the SImpsons license then pick another property with a robust food and beverage program to take over. Lets just say, Pokemon.
  • F&F:S is clearly an issue in the park, I think Universal could go with a two birds one stone solution and use this location for an indoor/outdoor coaster based on USH's new F&F Hollywood Drift ride.
  • HRRR queue and load is then reclaimed by the park along with the old Nick soundstages for a new music plaza stage with quicker access in/out of CityWalk. Current area becomes a new small attraction like Pets.
IOA

IOA has three issues - Sindband theater, Lost Continent, and Toon Lagoon Theater. Each of these things feels hinged on one question - what's going on with Zelda. This is obviously the location for any Zelda expansion since rumors pointed to it before the pandemic.
  • If Zelda replaces Lost Continent then it's likely Sindbad goes too, with Unviersal adjusting the Hogwarts Express queue. Zelda will be a whole new land with a major family attraction, food and dining (Mythos remains!), interactive elements, and lots of water for the Islands theme. This then will likely keep the TL theater for outside events (RtU, etc).
  • Zelda doesn't replace Lost Continent I see a new show in the Sindbad theater, maybe themed to Madigascar? TL theater is removed for SLoP with a cartoon New York facade that bridges MSHI and Comic Strip Lane.
VB

Finally use the expansion pad and add more cabanas, one of those wave pad things, a small wading pool, and a bar/lounge/restroom complex. The bar and lounge would be tucked away in a massive rock formation at the end of the property, by Turkey Lake and I-4. There will be large cliffs with small waterfalls going into the pool area. The wave pad would be next to the bar with a small queue area and then a 4" deep ool area with large zero entry area. The cabanas will be located on the border of the existing park and this expansion area.

Hotels

Can't believe it but it's almost time for Cabana Bay's refresh - we already got Shakes so I'm hoping they revisit the pool areas, refresh the rooms with some new features (USB-C, more storage, etc). What I'd love to see are some additional room types - a double suite that combines the two family suites into one villa like accomidation with a small kitchen, larger living room, and two separate sleeping areas w/restrooms.

After that Universal should take their attention to Aventura, which still ranks low in a lot of guest surveys. With such a small property could this be Unviersal's first kids hotel? Lean more into adult resort feel? Right now the Miami chic rooms just aren't hitting.
Please turn to this thread more often, I get your initial point, but this is the content we need!

I agree with a lot of your takes as well. Especially regarding USF.

USF
IOA

VB

Hotels

Really like a lot of these ideas, especially for Studios. But for some reason, and I know I’m not in the majority on this, I don’t see how Zelda fits in IoA, at least as an all out replacement for LC. Sure, Zelda shares similar motifs as Lost Continent and attraction concepts have been tossed around, but I don’t think the franchise has the same broad appeal as Mario, Pokemon, or even Donkey Kong. I would like it a lot as an expansion to SNW in Epic, I think if you put it by itself in Islands you would hear a lot of “who?”. I think the general public would need the context of other Nintendo properties around to think “oh, this is a Nintendo area.”

USF
IOA

VB

Hotels

I was looking at Google Maps there appears to be a large staging area and some backstage areas behind MIB. I would like to see USF expand the park with a massive new land in that area. Disney expands backstage all time like with SWGE and MMRR and will do it again when the Avengers E ticket opens at DCA around 2026-2028.

Where exactly are we talking about? I'm just trying to envision where such a ride could be put in that area.

Where exactly are we talking about? I'm just trying to envision where such a ride could be put in that area.
If they can find a new spot for HHN, that whole area with the soundstages behind HRRR can be demoed for an entire land, which I think would be preferable to me at least.

So I was refining my ideas for The Simpsons Ride replacement at Hollywood, And here is is what I was thinking. I think the best bet if NBCU swoops up WBD would be to do a Hanna Barbara mini land. I say that as after looking at space on Google Maps there is no way USH is going to get a copy of the Ministry of Magic land from EU. (I think there will be a copy of an EU land coming to USH but not this one.) The Simpsons plot and the tram station would make a mini land would would be an ideal size for a HB land since the popularity is not enough to warrant a full scale Galaxies Edge land. They are two options for an E ticket which would go in the Simpsons plot. Both would use the updated SCOOP ride system where the vehicle can move up and down which will be used on the upcoming MMoM attraction at EU. The first option is to do a Scooby Doo dark ride that would merge the practical sets and screen tech of the Jurassic World ride at USB. The plot would involve around Mystery Inc being lured to an old haunted Hollywood theater and finding out it's a setup and getting captured and you the guests have to rescue them. Or the plot can still revolve around the Hollywood Theater, but you get stuck and have to escape. And the second ride in the tram stop would be some sort of Midway Mania esq attraction. The second more ambitious option would be a multiverse style attraction where Dick Dastardly and all the major HB villains team up and release some sort of monster (like what happened in SCOOB) to take over the world and you the guests team up with all the major HB characters to stop them. This option would still have a Midway Mania attraction in the tram stop but themed to Scooby Doo or they could use the stacked dark ride patent as that would lend itself well to a Scooby Doo attraction as well.

I know I've mentioned this before (not sure if it was in this thread), but between the Fear Factor stage and the MIB tent area - that is about 75k sq ft of free space.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you consider..

Mummy - 65k sq ft
Transformers - 38k sq ft
Bourne - 35k sq ft
ET - 58k sq ft

... there is room in that plot to do something fairly significant, without even getting rid of MIB.

Now, with the addition of VillainCon, I'm guessing MIB may be next to go.

If you take out the F&F area AND MIB, that brings you to roughly 220k sq ft. So...

Diagon Alley (without Hogwarts Express and London waterfront) - 200k sq ft.
Springfield (including Simpsons ride) - 112k sq ft

This was a pretty long winded way of saying that the F&F/MIB plot has MASSIVE potential, and should be where everyone's eyes are pointed for the next big addition to USF!

Now, with the addition of VillainCon, I'm guessing MIB may be next to go.

I don't think VillainCon is going to render MIB redundant. Unless Universal is masterfully keeping the scope of VillainCon obscured even from our insiders, the attractions are not equivalent experiences aside from the general concept of interactivity.

I don't think VillainCon is going to render MIB redundant. Unless Universal is masterfully keeping the scope of VillainCon obscured even from our insiders, the attractions are not equivalent experiences aside from the general concept of interactivity.
I guess I'm more looking at the corporate mindset of "we have a shooter for something we license, now we have a shooter for something we own. Let's get rid of the licensed one." lol

I guess I'm more looking at the corporate mindset of "we have a shooter for something we license, now we have a shooter for something we own. Let's get rid of the licensed one." lol
Also I heard the company that makes some of the parts for MIB has also gone defunct. So at some point post EU it would make sense to purge MIB and replace it with an in house IP while they are at it.

Also I heard the company that makes some of the parts for MIB has also gone defunct. So at some point post EU it would make sense to purge MIB and replace it with an in house IP while they are at it.
I feel like I've heard this soooooooooo many times but I can never find a reputable source confirming it.

As much as it pains me, it might be best long term to drop MIB.

Because if I were head of Creative, well, that's where our Pokemon land would be going. :)

Been trying to picture my ideal version of the resort as it exists right now, both with big changes and new attractions I would like plus some minor things here and there.

USF - lots of potential in this park, this is hwere most of the major changes will be made
  1. HRRR replaced by a Fast & Furious coaster, named something like "Backlot Drift". Maybe a few small show scenes right before launch/lift and one right before unload but this is mostly an outdoor thrill coaster. Big draw for the park and would fit the franchise much better than the current ride.
  2. Supercharged replaced by... something entirely different. Ideally this is not a simulator or a coaster. My heart says this should be where a new Jaws attraction is built with San Francisco rethemed to Amity Harbor, but my mind says that specifically will never happen.
  3. FFL is replaced by... also something entirely different. This could very well be a Potter expansion, although that wouldn't be my first pick. Maybe something sci-fi to connect it to World Expo and MIB?
  4. MIB gets a systems transplant like Mummy and effects are enhanced. I would hate to see this ride replaced, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised.
  5. Springfield depends on what happens with the Simpsons contract: If extended, most of the land remains unchanged while the current Simpsons ride is replaced by a new Simpsons ride, preferably a comedic take on a dark ride. If the contract ends... man would I love to have Hill Valley in this space. This is even less likely than Jaws returning but it would be so fun to walk into Cafe 80s for a bite or take a stroll in front of the clock tower. Simulators would not return though, instead a new BttF ride would be built, either a "FluxcapaciCoaster" or a thrilling dark ride through time about the same intensity as Spider-Man or Transformers.
  6. The Dreamworks takeover of KidZone proceeds as planned, but eventually adds a few themed kids flat rides and maybe a dark ride.
  7. E.T. and Animal Actors are rezoned to Hollywood, with the plaza they currently revolve around being slightly themed to how Universal's classic studios looked back in the day. Also E.T. receives a healthy refurbishment.
IoA - This park is already incredible, not much to change here, but I have a few ideas

1. Cat in the Hat also gets a healthy refurbishment, maybe some new animatronics and ride vehicles begin to spin a bit again.
  2. Sinbad theater is replaced, hopefully by an original attraction. Lost Continent's theming is awesome, would love for it to stay and the area to gain relevancy again without retheming everything in it.
  3. River Adventure gets a big refurb but IS NOT CHANGED TO JURASSIC WORLD. Animatronics are restored and maybe some new effects are added. Also this ride would benefit a ton from music throughout like Hollywood has.
  4. Toon Lagoon theater is replaced by SLoP, providing a nice transition between MSHI and TL. Also provides a much needed family friendly indoor ride.

And there we go. A few of these are pure wishlist ideas, but i think the majority of them are certainly possible.

I know everyone is excited for DreamWorks Animation to be added to the parks. But I think Universal should buy the rights for DreamWorks Pictures as well. Turn the NBC Media Center into an elaborate Ron Burgundy meet-and-greet, and watch your park attendance numbers soar.

Okay, prediction/wish list time for me! Ahem…

2026: Complete kidzone with a Trolls or KFP boat ride. New parade, Disney levels preferably.
2027: F&F San Francisco Drift takes over Supercharge. A smaller version of the Hollywood coaster, mainly focusing on drifting here and a fun initial launch.
2028: Jurassic World River Adventure takes over and a full JW theming now for IOA.
2029: Pokémon at Epic Universe
2030: SLOP esc dark ride takes over TL theatre, I think Minions/Despicable Me themed is fun. Going from a land all about heroes, to a land all about Villains is kinda fun.
2031: Creature Boat Ride at Epic Universe.
2032: Zelda takes over LC.
2033: Potter expansion for Diagon Alley in Fear Factor theatre. A Stunt Spectacle and a new dining area added.
2034: VB addition.
2035: Lord Of The Rings at Epic Universe in that gigantic plot of land between Potter and Dragons.

Hope the next decade can be something like this!

I know we love to talk about new attractions/rides/lands in here, but I have something a bit different.

If I were Uni, I'd be trying to get at least one or two more full-service restaurants into each of the parks.

USF - this may sound strange, but I'd convert Mel's Drive-In into a full service restaurant. It has roughly the same square footage as Lombard's, plus some outdoor seating. They could incorporate more outdoor seating into the front "parking lot" area as well.

IOA - I would demolish Pizza Predattoria and build a full-service restaurant in this space. There's actually quite a bit more space there than you'd think! The restaurant would be simply called "Hammond's." The inside would have a similar aesthetic to something you'd expect at Jurassic World.. that way when the land inevitably changes, you won't need to change the restaurant!

I know we love to talk about new attractions/rides/lands in here, but I have something a bit different.

If I were Uni, I'd be trying to get at least one or two more full-service restaurants into each of the parks.

USF - this may sound strange, but I'd convert Mel's Drive-In into a full service restaurant. It has roughly the same square footage as Lombard's, plus some outdoor seating. They could incorporate more outdoor seating into the front "parking lot" area as well.

IOA - I would demolish Pizza Predattoria and build a full-service restaurant in this space. There's actually quite a bit more space there than you'd think! The restaurant would be simply called "Hammond's." The inside would have a similar aesthetic to something you'd expect at Jurassic World.. that way when the land inevitably changes, you won't need to change the restaurant!
I love these changes, but I think a better USF location would be where the NBC thing is next to Kidzone.

I love these changes, but I think a better USF location would be where the NBC thing is next to Kidzone.
I was struggling to find a location that would be best for USF - I went with Mel's because they likely wouldn't need to make a lot of structural changes (if any)! The Central Park location could be really nice though too!

One other idea I had though.. if they were somehow able to relocate the restrooms/lockers/etc to the right of the exit of USF, I would take over that space and turn it into a full-service restaurant themed to a movie theater - centered around classic films!