Lord of the Rings Trilogy | Inside Universal Forums

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 12, 2009
East Central Florida
The original movies are playing on TNT today... and at the same time, HBO is playing the Hobbit. I knew something was off about the Hobbit but until I saw the two in close proximity I couldn't quite figure it out.

LOTR is full of great acting, great directing, great editing, but most of all, incredible atmospherics which is both cinematography and post that causes me to fall into that world in just a few seconds.

The Hobbit just looks like an expensive Hollywood movie that was cranked out as formula.

Was this because of the Red digital cameras that were used on Hobbit as opposed to LOTR being shot on film? Was Jackson's heart just not in it? All of the above and more?

Anyways, LOTR still gets me weepy countless times per film. I just stare at The Hobbit films as if in a trance.

Was Jackson's heart just not in it? All of the above and more?

His heart was in it...... in that he doesn't know what to cut from it and thinks everything is perfect. I have no idea why there's an abundance of CGI, the physical makeup in LOTR looks much better.

completely agree with you. had guillermo del torro directed as planned i feel it would have been a wonderful journey back to middle earth but once he dropped out new line probably brow beat peter jackson into directing. i would bet they put so many zero's on his paycheck he couldn't refuse such a offer. in the end this wasn't a passion project for him, he had to delay projects and who would want to spend another 3 plus years on a project that had already consumed so much of his life? i believe total he spent something crazy like 13(i might be off here) years getting LOTR made from conception to the final film and now another 3-4 with more hobbitses. dats a lot. :stunned:

reading some of peter jacksons more recent articles given it reads like he was ready to say 'bye felicia' after battle of five armies.

overall i think the technology kind of outshined any story telling. i am probably in the minority but really did not like the high frame rate filming.

just my thoughts and observations from following the making of the new trilogy.