Los Angeles Trip | Inside Universal Forums

Los Angeles Trip

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I'm in the early stages of planning my first LA trip in May/June next year. Looking to hit both Disney and Universal over the 7-10 day period.

As the parks are situated either side of LA, I'm looking for a good area to stay in for the trip. We will be hiring a car, and will also be doing other tourist stuff in and around Los Angeles. So somewhere central to both parks would be great.

Regarding the parks, it seems like Universal is definitely a one day park, where as Disneyland and DCA seem like 2 day parks each (for somebody who has never visited either). Are these fair assumptions?

Any information, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also likely to add more questions to this thread as the trip planning develops.

Cheers!

We went to Disneyland last year. We were at the parks for 3 days (1 1/2 days at each park). I would of like a fourth day just to do some of the rides again but 3 days was enough to see everything on our list (some attractions twice). We went at the end of June two weeks after Carsland opened. I would agree that 4 days is enough to cover the parks.

I would also suggest that you get park hopper tickets. The parks are so close to each other that it's very easy to move from one to the other.

Universal Hollywood is definitely a one day park. I would wait for the trolly that goes from the train station to CityWalk, because the hill is sorta steep and it's not a fun walk. If you go to Orlando often, skip all the rides that are also in the Hollywood park since they are exactly the same. Mummy is a bit different, so you might want to do that. Also, see if you can get VIP tickets. The highlight of the park is definitely the backlot tour but with the VIP pass, you not only get the same ride around via the tram that everyone else gets, but you also get to walk around the sets on foot and go into some of the soundstages, like the massive prop room. It was really interesting and definitely worth it.

We stayed at the Radisson Wilshire, which was perfect for us and we used the trains and buses to get around to Hollywood, Bel-Air, Santa Monica and so on, but since you are taking a car, you might not need an area that's so connected to mass transit.

Can people offer me some tips and advice for visiting SF:MM? We have one whole day to conquer the park, and from what I've read the Flash Pass is a must if we want to do everything.

Can people offer me some tips and advice for visiting SF:MM? We have one whole day to conquer the park, and from what I've read the Flash Pass is a must if we want to do everything.

I went way back in 2003 during 4th of July week, I believe it was mid week and a day or so before the 4th itself and the park seemed pretty quiet early in the day. Not sure if that park gets busier later in the day or not but did notice a lot of coaster opened later in the morning. Again, it was so long and im sure things have changed.