Lower Lot Redesign | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Even the former Dueling Dragons/Challenge. Heavily themed queue & trains.

In the overall experience, and not just queue and trains, mind you.

The new Potter Coaster, looks beyond what Dragon Challenge was IMO.

Honestly, what interests me, is the height of the balloons, as it could indicate that whatever is on 22-25/28, is going to try to cover that NBCU/C tower possibly in the process.

Reactions: alias8703
two totally & completely different non-comparable types of coasters. :rolleyes: People need to stop throwing shade on Dragons. It was perfect & not meant to cater to "families" like the new coaster.

Dragons was a big loss for Florida theme parks. As it is, Orlando is pretty weak on thrills & lacks a true park for coaster enthusiasts & thrill seekers.

The new Universal Park is going to be Magic Kingdom-esque. I've always said the greatest flaw in the parks in Florida is the lack of variety.

Disney & Universal have pretty much gobbled up their competition and put most parks out of business. There are still a few survivors, but my prediction is that they won't be around in 10 years or so.

Reactions: Freak and Wesker69
All right people I am so tired of hearing about how Orlando is lacking in coasters for coaster enthusiasts. If that is what you are looking for why are you even looking at theme parks in general, you want an amusement park. Yes there is a difference. Theme parks meant to be immersive experiences as a whole, complete lands made to make us feel like we have left the real world this is what Universal and Disney are the best at. I for one have always loved a good coaster( I’ve done Knotts, six flags mm, cedar point) and do enjoy the adrenaline rush but they don’t hold people and pull them in making them want days(could spend half a day in diagon alley only and never be bored), they are good for being a jolt a rush but then we move on. Sure Universal and Disney may be wreaking havoc on the other “amusement parks” but that is what they want either keep up or get out of the way. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens hang on because the have a unique approach as they have the coasters which some enjoy but they have the animal side of, SeaWorld being an amusement/aquarium park and Busch gardens amusement/zoo park this helps to drive families in. SeaWorld is making a comeback too and damn glad I love to visit their parks and feel they deserve another shot, blackfish sucks and do agree but they do a hell of a lot of good and have really tried to make amends with bettering itself and changing policies, people need to stop harping on the past and start supporting for their future. Sorry went off on a tangent anyways back to the rollercoaster bs if you want coasters go to an amusement park no one is stopping you but if you want to leave the real behind then that’s what theme parks are for. I still make the occasional stop in at knotts(usually for scary farms and xcelerator is a true coaster fans dream period) but for me and my family Universal and Disney is where we will always prefer. That’s the other thing Disney and Universal wants families and why cause we spend money and lots of it.

Let’s not forget there is a hell of a lot more “amusement parks” with coasters than there are “theme parks” with immersive land and attractions.

Also just for record: Cedar Point vs Six Flags MM debate well my opinion their is none Cedar Point destroys hands down. SFMM can have all the coasters it wants(“well we have more”) cool you have one or so more. Cedar points are miles better in overall quality plus the park is cleaner, more well upkept, and the setting next to the lake is just gorgeous. Cedar point is a thrill/coaster fans dream. Go to Sandusky if you want the roller coaster fantasy.

Last edited:
two totally & completely different non-comparable types of coasters. :rolleyes: People need to stop throwing shade on Dragons. It was perfect & not meant to cater to "families" like the new coaster.

True, but there was no theming on the ride itself. Not to mention it looked horrible from Hogsmeade.

Dragons was a big loss for Florida theme parks. As it is, Orlando is pretty weak on thrills & lacks a true park for coaster enthusiasts & thrill seekers.

The new Universal Park is going to be Magic Kingdom-esque. I've always said the greatest flaw in the parks in Florida is the lack of variety.

Disney & Universal have pretty much gobbled up their competition and put most parks out of business. There are still a few survivors, but my prediction is that they won't be around in 10 years or so.

It won't be like Magic Kingdom, really. More like a kid-friendly Islands of Adventure with better rides and scenery. Plus, the new park should have a major thrill coaster of some sort, and Jurassic Park is rumored to get a thrill coaster as well. Dragons won't be a huge loss, or a loss at all, in the long run.

Also, are you saying that SeaWorld won't be around in ten years? I would have agreed with you awhile back, but I'm not so sure anymore. They're starting to gain attendance and get over the Blackfish debacle. If you want thrill coasters, you can go there. They have three of them.

Reactions: alias8703
All right people I am so tired of hearing about how Orlando is lacking in coasters for coaster enthusiasts. If that is what you are looking for why are you even looking at theme parks in general, you want an amusement park. Yes there is a difference. Theme parks meant to be immersive experiences as a whole, complete lands made to make us feel like we have left the real world this is what Universal and Disney are the best at. I for one have always loved a good coaster( I’ve done Knotts, six flags mm, cedar point) and do enjoy the adrenaline rush but they don’t hold people and pull them in making them want days(could spend half a day in diagon alley only and never be bored), they are good for being a jolt a rush but then we move on. Sure Universal and Disney may be wreaking havoc on the other “amusement parks” but that is what they want either keep up or get out of the way. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens hang on because the have a unique approach as they have the coasters which some enjoy but they have the animal side of, SeaWorld being an amusement/aquarium park and Busch gardens amusement/zoo park this helps to drive families in. SeaWorld is making a comeback too and damn glad I love to visit their parks and feel they deserve another shot, blackfish sucks and do agree but they do a hell of a lot of good and have really tried to make amends with bettering itself and changing policies, people need to stop harping on the past and start supporting for their future. Sorry went off on a tangent anyways back to the rollercoaster bs if you want coasters go to an amusement park no one is stopping you but if you want to leave the real behind then that’s what theme parks are for. I still make the occasional stop in at knotts(usually for scary farms and xcelerator is a true coaster fans dream period) but for me and my family Universal and Disney is where we will always prefer. That’s the other thing Disney and Universal wants families and why cause we spend money and lots of it.

Let’s not forget there is a hell of a lot more “amusement parks” with coasters than there are “theme parks” with immersive land and attractions.

Also just for record: Cedar Point vs Six Flags MM debate well my opinion their is none Cedar Point destroys hands down. SFMM can have all the coasters it wants(“well we have more”) cool you have one or so more. Cedar points are miles better in overall quality plus the park is cleaner, more well upkept, and the setting next to the lake is just gorgeous. Cedar point is a thrill/coaster fans dream. Go to Sandusky if you want the roller coaster fantasy.

Ya mad, bruh?

Variety is a good thing. I'm not sure why you decided to write an essay trying to argue against this point.

Bottom line, FL has Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland. CA has Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland/Cedar Fair/Six Flags. Who has more variety? Again, variety is a good thing. The fact is that some people prefer thrilling experiences over themed ones. There's nothing wrong with that. There should be at least 1 park for this demographic to enjoy in the FL park landscape.

Themed experiences are great. That's why I love Disney & Universal. But, I also love thrills. You know it's possible to love both. California offers greater variety so I can go to Disneyland & SFMM and fulfill both those needs.

As for the whole Cedar Point vs SFMM...Well yea, Cedar Fair manages their parks better than Six Flags, no question. But again, there's some people that prefer the coaster lineup at SFMM than at Cedar Point. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you're a Cedar Point fanboy. CP has a nice location, but I would argue so does SFMM. Magic Mountain has some terrain coasters that utilizes their mountainous landscape in a way that CP can't since Ohio is a relatively flat landscape. Cedar Point also lacks a dark ride and is not open year round the way SFMM is. Both parks have their pros and cons. Steel Vengeance might give CP an edge, but wait till 2019 when SFMM comes out with a 20 million dollar coaster MACK coaster.

• Love
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
It won't be like Magic Kingdom, really. More like a kid-friendly Islands of Adventure with better rides and scenery. Plus, the new park should have a major thrill coaster of some sort, and Jurassic Park is rumored to get a thrill coaster as well. Dragons won't be a huge loss, or a loss at all, in the long run.

Also, are you saying that SeaWorld won't be around in ten years? I would have agreed with you awhile back, but I'm not so sure anymore. They're starting to gain attendance and get over the Blackfish debacle. If you want thrill coasters, you can go there. They have three of them.

Well I believe the main demographic in the new park will be children & families with SNW as their centerpiece and the castle as their landmark. Sounds Magic Kingdom-ish to me. Universal will never again stray from the Disney formula after they have tasted the family dollar money. That's where the Buku bucks are made. Sure, they might throw a bone to thrill seekers, but don't expect much. Perhaps maybe a big boy coaster here or there.

Seaworld is still struggling mightily. Just because they had a good quarter or two doesn't mean they've turned the ship around. Unfortunately, they're still in a downward trajectory. It sucks because I love SW. I'm not saying it won't be around in 10 years, but I'm also not saying that it will be. My prediction is that they will close some of their parks and only focus on their major ones. We'll see. When I said the other parks will close, I'm talking about smaller parks like Fun Spot & other parks that offer an affordable alternative to Disneyversal. Disney coming to Florida was the worst thing for unique, boutique parks that got swallowed up by a giant shark.

Well I believe the main demographic in the new park will be children & families with SNW as their centerpiece and the castle as their landmark. Sounds Magic Kingdom-ish to me. Universal will never again stray from the Disney formula after they have tasted the family dollar money. That's where the Buku bucks are made. Sure, they might throw a bone to thrill seekers, but don't expect much. Perhaps maybe a big boy coaster here or there.

Personally, I don't buy the whole "Castle as their landmark" discussion. It's way too similar to Magic Kingdom, and Universal isn't Magic Kingdom. And, while I think SNW will be the main area of the park, I don't think it'll be the centerpiece. It'll be something else, something completely new to the Universal parks. LOTR, Pokemon, Classic Monsters, and/or a brand new themed land fit that bill.

Keep in mind, Universal's target demographic is still teenagers. And, even though they'll build a more family-friendly park, they're not going to forget about what got them here.

Personally, I don't buy the whole "Castle as their landmark" discussion. It's way too similar to Magic Kingdom, and Universal isn't Magic Kingdom. And, while I think SNW will be the main area of the park, I don't think it'll be the centerpiece. It'll be something else, something completely new to the Universal parks. LOTR, Pokemon, Classic Monsters, and/or a brand new themed land fit that bill.

Keep in mind, Universal's target demographic is still teenagers. And, even though they'll build a more family-friendly park, they're not going to forget about what got them here.

I actually fully expect castles to be incorporated, especially if Shrek and Nintendo come to Gate 3 for Orlando..that said.

Is that really an appropriate discussion for a possible expansion of Universal Hollywood's Lower Lot? ;)

I actually fully expect castles to be incorporated, especially if Shrek and Nintendo come to Gate 3 for Orlando..that said.

Is that really an appropriate discussion for a possible expansion of Universal Hollywood's Lower Lot? ;)

I expect castles to be incorporated as well, just not as the main landmark/centerpiece. And yeah, lets move this discussion elsewhere :lol:

Unlike Disney parks, Universal has The Simpsons area and house the annual HHN so they still have something that target teenagers and adults. However, since WWOHP was a major success that exceeded far beyond anything Disney Imagineers can do, Universal seriously wants to go head to head with Disney so they have to major some adjustments that would bring the whole families in. If they want to bring the Mushroom Kingdom to mirror to that of the Cinderella Castle at Disneyland, then so be it.

True, but there was no theming on the ride itself. Not to mention it looked horrible from Hogsmeade./QUOTE]
The trains were themed to look like Dragons. Can't get much more "on ride" themeing than that. And it did not look horrible from Hogsmeade, if we're going to go by that logic... then the new coaster already looks horrible because I can see it & its track from over the walls :rolleyes: People need to really get over this sight line issue. You're not really in _______ land, you're in a theme park with tourists.

Hey, I can see wardrobe & other Universal offices from within Potter at USH, we can't have that. Better tear those down! Oh man, I can see the new Dreamworks tower! Can't have that! Waterworld pyro is too high & can be seen! Must be changed & add silencers! This is what people sound like when they complain about Dragons.

Ya mad, bruh?

Variety is a good thing. I'm not sure why you decided to write an essay trying to argue against this point.

Bottom line, FL has Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland. CA has Disney/Universal/Seaworld/Legoland/Cedar Fair/Six Flags. Who has more variety? Again, variety is a good thing. The fact is that some people prefer thrilling experiences over themed ones. There's nothing wrong with that. There should be at least 1 park for this demographic to enjoy in the FL park landscape.

Themed experiences are great. That's why I love Disney & Universal. But, I also love thrills. You know it's possible to love both. California offers greater variety so I can go to Disneyland & SFMM and fulfill both those needs.

As for the whole Cedar Point vs SFMM...Well yea, Cedar Fair manages their parks better than Six Flags, no question. But again, there's some people that prefer the coaster lineup at SFMM than at Cedar Point. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you're a Cedar Point fanboy. CP has a nice location, but I would argue so does SFMM. Magic Mountain has some terrain coasters that utilizes their mountainous landscape in a way that CP can't since Ohio is a relatively flat landscape. Cedar Point also lacks a dark ride and is not open year round the way SFMM is. Both parks have their pros and cons. Steel Vengeance might give CP an edge, but wait till 2019 when SFMM comes out with a 20 million dollar coaster MACK coaster.

Not mad bruh just saying the facts. Also I stated which you kindly neglected I enjoy both as well.

Your argument revolves around the diversity of parks in Southern California(LA metro area). Parks like Knotts and SFMM are able to stay supported from the local demographic. Some tourists may make a stop by one of these parks if they have an extra day but by in large people do not plan a trip based on these parks. When you have a population of 22 million + people in close proximity these Parks work, Orlando does not have this hell the state of Florida barely has it. These parks feed on the locals and sometimes spillover from the major players. Also you discuss variety yet in dozens of locations around the US there are only “amusement parks” with rollercoasters as the main draw, where is our “theme parks” our immersive lands but that’s ok with you. Families want immersion, coaster enthusiasts want(well) coasters. Theme vs amusement there is a difference. Don’t go to Disney and universal if you feel the need for coasters that day. Busch gardens isn’t far from Orlando man take a day trip and on top of that why don’t you complain to the owners of skyplex for your new crazy thrills. Now disparity between Orlando and la just shrunk with BGT and Skyplex cancelling Knotts and SFMM. Let’s not even get started on the water parks lol. Move on you complain to complain. Now the CP vs SFMM as I said in my opinion it’s CP but that apparently made you mad bruh. Opinion not fact in this case, their is a difference read thoroughly before making snarky comments. Plus SFMM is just starting to be open year round let’s see how it goes man.

• You might wanna fix your format on the message. It's showing up as a quote from me.
  • Yes, you can have on ride theming. The new coaster will have rockwork and animatronics. Actual show scenes. Actual backgrounds and theming other than going over a large dirt patch.Here's what Dragons could have been:
  • The coaster will also have trees and rockwork to make it pleasing to the eye, unlike Dragons.
  • There's a difference between things that have to be seen and things that don't. Especially things within the land. Dragons looked ugly, and didn't have to be there. Waterworld, Dreamworks, and the Universal buildings are mandatory, and aren't in the land itself. So, no problem.

Anywhoo..

Here's a thought, if the 22-25/28 isn't Nintendo..what if it's the UCHollywood take on Sci-Fi City? It'd be an easy way for them to connect Transformers, and would allow them to have the opportunity to bring Accelerator and perhaps a more intense version of Space Fantasy, but with a different theme.

Just a thought.

Anywhoo..

Here's a thought, if the 22-25/28 isn't Nintendo..what if it's the UCHollywood take on Sci-Fi City? It'd be an easy way for them to connect Transformers, and would allow them to have the opportunity to bring Accelerator and perhaps a more intense version of Space Fantasy, but with a different theme.

Just a thought.

Well, except USH is far more landlocked than Orlando is, and even if they have plans to purchase more homes in the hills, they won't have time to delay SNW just for Sci-Fi City. I prefer SNW to be built exactly where it's supposed to be right now, they already said it would be coming to L.A. and Orlando, and it's already been almost two years.

Well, except USH is far more landlocked than Orlando is, and even if they have plans to purchase more homes in the hills, they won't have time to delay SNW just for Sci-Fi City. I prefer SNW to be built exactly where it's supposed to be right now, they already said it would be coming to L.A. and Orlando, and it's already been almost two years.

I'm not talking for before SNW, if that makes sense.

I'm guessing the new park will be more oriented to families than USF & IOA, which will both retain their niches. But the family demographic for the new park will be older than MK. I doubt Universal wants, or will go after, the toddler and young children demo. And Universal will add their usual mix of thrill rides to the equation so the new park attracts teenagers, young adults, and older adults without children. Diversity is strength.

Reactions: Freak and Magic-Man