Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Lunatics Playground 3D – You Won’t Stand A Chance

The Icon’s house this year – While Jack’s away, Chance has unleashed the horrors of her imagination. Her twisted delusions and reality are continuously blurred in a 3D playground of carnage. When the music box plays, the world shifts to her sinister theatre of the mind. But when the alarm starts ringing, Chance is thrown back into the brutal reality of her incarceration.

LunaticsPlayground3D_logo.png

While I'm not normally a fan of 3D houses (the In-Between is the only house I've been through that I felt used it effectively), I'm curious as to how they'll use it for the whole "duality" element. The description reads as if it will switch back and forth between non-3D and 3D scenes.

I'm on the fence about the 3D houses -- haven't been that impressed or really disliked them -- but the concept for this sounds awesome!

I'm not sure about the glasses on or off -- wouldn't that detract from the experience by having signs posted, "Glasses off now," "Now glasses back on!"? Worse would be staffing the house with people to collect and re-distribute them.

I have high hopes for this one. It sounds like they may do something new with the 3d where they have black light responsive paint that is of one pattern, probably outlandish and crazy, and then the rest would be more subdued and sinister. I'm thinking something like an Insane Asylum but where the padded walls and stuff have stains that become something else entirely when lit up. Then at times throughout the maze the blacklights will come on and light up the crazy. Hopefully it will make it lots of fun with tons of return appeal.

They've done stuff like this before, where an effect goes off that "changes" the house. Maximum Madness had the power go out (house would go black), which made the inmates go bonkers. This sounds like the same sort of thing.

This sounds like the exact premise of Alice last year (which I liked well enough but would have preferred something more unique for Chance).

My thoughts precisely. I am hoping for some of the effects mentioned above and that they do not just have rooms of text on the walls like AiW did last year. I guess what I want is a new sort of trippy and the blacklight changing rooms would certainly accomplish that goal.

This sounds like the exact premise of Alice last year (which I liked well enough but would have preferred something more unique for Chance).

This sounds more fleshed out than Alice, which seemed more like an end cap scene in an asylum vs having it go between both worlds.

Has anyone posted the art and drawings that Universal posted?

chanceinhell_cropped-1107x731.jpg

Looks like it could rotate so it could have two sides and be used in the house but then again being a puppet it could be for the SZ

Last edited:
So excited. Not because it's an icon house with one of the strongest icons of the event but because I have no idea what to expect from it. The concept art looks incredible for it too, definitely one of my must dos

That's for the SZ.

Even so, that's impressive.

Methinks the sets will be built as an asylum with 3D blacklight paint. When in "fantasy" world, the black lights are on. When in "reality," more traditional, macabre lighting kicks in.

Could be a real winner, it's a great concept. They had a swing with Alice - methinks they'll learn from that and go all out this year.

While 3D houses have been hit or miss, this is sounding pretty high concept. If this house does a good job of bouncing between regular sets and 3D, (Or shifting in and out of 3D a la' the blackout effect from PS: Maximum Madness), this could honestly be a great house.

Naturally we have to wait and see, but this could very well be the dark horse house of the event.

Even so, that's impressive.

Methinks the sets will be built as an asylum with 3D blacklight paint. When in "fantasy" world, the black lights are on. When in "reality," more traditional, macabre lighting kicks in.

Could be a real winner, it's a great concept. They had a swing with Alice - methinks they'll learn from that and go all out this year.

This is honestly what I am hoping for as it is a new way of utilizing 3D that justifies its use while also being story relevant.

Do we have any confirmation or whispers that this is how they are desiging the house?