Magic Band Photo Question | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Band Photo Question

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ash

Mar 10, 2013
Hi all,

we just got back form our vacation and we used Magic Bands.
When we came back we went online to look at our vacation photos and it had ride photos of us on there that we didn't even fastpass...

Therefore, my question is... how did the photo system know it was us on ride photos when no fastpass was used and no magic band was scanned at the attraction?

Do they use some kind of facial recognition?

There are sensors in the ride that communicate with the rfid chip in your magic band. The sensor reads your band and knows your in that photo and automatically adds the picture to your photopass

That's kinda creepy... not that I really care but essentially they could know where I was at every point, where I ate how long I spent there, when I took a piss.... I guess this is the point of the magic bands. scary!

That's kinda creepy... not that I really care but essentially they could know where I was at every point, where I ate how long I spent there, when I took a piss.... I guess this is the point of the magic bands. scary!

Yeah, they pretty much track your location around the resort. Though, does it really matter if Disney knows where you are in the parks? It's not super private or lucrative information.

Slightly off topic, but I'd be really excited for a Universal MagicBand type thing. It's the only thing Disney has that I wish Universal had.

I just don't want paper tickets that would be a start... I like the magic band I hate fast pass plus... And yeah I don't care if they know where I am and when. I live in the UK where security cameras pretty much do that everywhere anywhere.

Some of the rides have scanners right before you load the actual vehicle. You may have scanned your wrist band without thinking about it because it was there. One example of this is Test Track.

I definitely scanned it at test track, but it knew we rode TOT, RnR,splash mountain and 7DMT without us scanning at all.

The RFID emitted from the bands is strong enough to be read from sensors a good distance away. I assume it reads your band as you leave the station for most of them.

If people actually knew about how much tracking is done with the magic bands there would be an uproar.