Magic Kingdom Security Moves to TTC | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom Security Moves to TTC

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 13, 2011
Tampa, FL
Not sure we had a dedicated thread here, but Orlando Sentinel has let loose the confirmation that MK's security changes on Monday.

Screening for all transport at the TTC. Resort monorails and boats screen at dock/station, and buses and the Contemporary walkway will screen on the east side of the entry plaza.

Flow to/from monorails and ferry boats should be restored to their original operation.

Reactions: Andysol and Joel
This will open up the entrance to MK so much more and make it like it was pre-9/11 when the security booths were put in.

I was at the park the other day and the green railing used as a security barrier is now gone, opening up the main esplanade area before the entrance immensely. Once the current bag check area gets removed, it will look amazing.

This will open up the entrance to MK so much more and make it like it was pre-9/11 when the security booths were put in.

I was at the park the other day and the green railing used as a security barrier is now gone, opening up the main esplanade area before the entrance immensely. Once the current bag check area gets removed, it will look amazing.

I also think for a faction of the guest population the wait time will drop substantially. As it is now, everyone suffers through it.

Monorail Resorts shouldn't be bad at all, and then it's a 50/50 split on if buses or the TTC will be a worse situation.

But I think it will also disconnect the security wait from the MK arrival in the minds of TTC guests. Like if they got stuck in traffic on the way there - maybe negative but not part of the park itself.

Reactions: Joel and Nick
I also thought this might encourage people not to bring massive strollers and multiple bags - but who am I kidding?

They'll probably bring even bigger bags.

Reactions: Jon84
Something else very notable about this move is the addition of security at the resort monorail stations:

Also beginning April 3, guests staying at Disney’s Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts will begin going through security at the resorts’ monorail stations.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I suspect this will lower the delays at the monorail stations because you won't be able to run up last minute. You clear security and get on or you don't. No more waiting for people to walk leisurely from the door to the train.

I suspect this will lower the delays at the monorail stations because you won't be able to run up last minute. You clear security and get on or you don't. No more waiting for people to walk leisurely from the door to the train.
That's a good point. This plan has the ability to really hit the nail on many different fronts when it comes to efficiency (and security) issues at the resort. I just hope that they make it look nice and it doesn't seem too temporary. Sort of like what UOR has done with their metal detectors/bag check locations at the two ends of CityWalk.

That's a good point. This plan has the ability to really hit the nail on many different fronts when it comes to efficiency (and security) issues at the resort. I just hope that they make it look nice and it doesn't seem too temporary. Sort of like what UOR has done with their metal detectors/bag check locations at the two ends of CityWalk.

Signs explaining the process would do wonders but they seem morally adverse to them for some reason.

No, it may still be two. The monorail exit is on the other side of bag check and there's really no way to reroute it.

Although now once you get checked at EPCOT you'll be able to bypass the check at TTC.

Reactions: JoeCamel
No, it may still be two. The monorail exit is on the other side of bag check and there's really no way to reroute it.

Although now once you get checked at EPCOT you'll be able to bypass the check at TTC.
Wait, this is an interesting scenario. Do we think the Epcot monorail entrance may be placed outside of the security perimeter?

If not, then I may be able to board an Epcot monorail, get off at TTC, and transfer to an MK Monorail without going through security.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Wait, this is an interesting scenario. Do we think the Epcot monorail entrance may be placed outside of the security perimeter?

If not, then I may be able to board an Epcot monorail, get off at TTC, and transfer to an MK Monorail without going through security.

Now that's what I call a Passholder entrance.

I'd expect epcot's west screening to move to bus area.
Yeah, Disney is trying to get security away from the front of the parks as much as possible.

Plus, Epcot is a Cluster right now with everyone that enters having to go through a metal detector (only WDW park that requires that currently), with lines from bag check and no bag often running into each other.

I like this idea, and I think it also helps keep any possible threats further away from the park gates.

Curious how well this will work at Fort Wilderness where you take a boat to MK. Wonder if they will "wait" for people to get through security before leaving dock.