1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Mardi Gras 2014

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando Events' started by jalapeno1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jalapeno1

jalapeno1 Newcomer

Next Spring, the biggest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans will take place at Universal Studios for 20 select nights Feb. 8 through May 31 with live concerts by some of today's top artists including Robin Thicke with special tour guest Jessie J and UK pop sensation The Wanted! http://bit.ly/19Toksz

Didn't see this started anywhere but had this pop up on Facebook today. Couldn't pull the whole link, I am a rookie at such things. Help anyone who can post it correctly!

Is it just me or is the earliest that UOR has posted any acts for Mardi Gras? If I remember correctly it usually after the holidays.

2. April

April Member

Crazy that it's going all the way into May. This'll be my fourth Mardi Gras and I just got so used to it ending in April.

3. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

Normally around November they start revealing acts, but it's nice they're starting to announce now. Like I said in the Stash, I'm really hoping we get more rock bands this year, old and new. We only had, what, one or two this year?

4. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

ROBIN THICKE. :happy: I want to go so bad.

5. SinkoM

SinkoM Newcomer

Some people may be wondering why Mardi Gras is so long this year. I would put money on the fact that there won't be a Summer Concert Series this year due to the crowds already expected with a certain boy wizard.

6. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

Now that you mention that, the extra concerts will be the exact same amount as SCS. Smart move by Uni.

7. maxairmike

maxairmike Veteran Member

I didn't even think about that...hey, they have a big, empty theater in the other park they could use for the SCS...nah, that wouldn't work too well. :lol:

8. Cheezbat

Cheezbat Veteran Member

I have skipped Mardi Gras the past few years because they hardly ever have anyone that appeals to me anymore. What happened to all the rock bands and older groups?

9. mrjoe

mrjoe Newcomer

Ditto :shrug:

10. OLSinFLA

OLSinFLA Veteran Member

They went to Disney for Flower & Garden show :)

11. Jwhee

Jwhee Veteran Member

All the REAL people preform on weekdays at Epcot, and all the IMPOSTORS on the weekends!:bang:

12. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Summer Concert Series was a band-aid to help Universal when it needed to bring people over before the summer. They've grown immensely in the past 4 years where it probably isn't needed anymore to help bring in the crowds.

13. Jakemeister

Jakemeister Premium Member

I thought I read that SCS was still happening this year.

I'm more interested in this with Grad Bash. I bet whoever they have for Grad Bash will perform that Friday for Grad Bash then perform Saturday for Mardi Gras.

14. UniTard

UniTard Newcomer

Yeah, The Wanted...woohoo...but guess that's what the kids are into these days.

15. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

I find it a little odd that they haven't announced more of the performers that will be at at Mardi Gras 2014. Feb. is that far away.

16. OrlandoParks

OrlandoParks Rookie

Saving the best for last?

17. OrlandoParks

OrlandoParks Rookie

concept art of floats .....i have
    seen

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if they will have more known groups or less?

18. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Always struck me as more of a locals event. I don't know that too many people are planning trips around a single concert. In that case, a post-Christmas announcement is fine.

I find it stranger that there's been no mention of NYE entertainment at CityWalk.

19. Tbad556

Tbad556 Veteran Member

Well, by this time last year, we only had 1 band announced (Matchbox Twenty). Several bands leaked around early December. Universal started tweeting out obvious teasers for artists in early January and the actual lineup wasn't officially revealed until January 7th. We're on track, if not a little ahead, as of right now.

As for New Year's Eve, the details for the 2011 event weren't announced until the first week of December and last year's was announced on 11/15, so it'll probably be announced within the next week or two if I were to guess. It's definitely returning this year though. It's mentioned on Universal's "Holiday" event page: https://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Holidays/Overview.aspx

20. inferi88

inferi88 Newcomer

I'm curious, does Universal introduce new floats every year for Mardi Gras? I've only been to two so far, and I have seen the concept art for the 2014 ones.