Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2014

Jan 15, 2013
Orlando
Next Spring, the biggest Mardi Gras celebration outside of New Orleans will take place at Universal Studios for 20 select nights Feb. 8 through May 31 with live concerts by some of today's top artists including Robin Thicke with special tour guest Jessie J and UK pop sensation The Wanted! http://bit.ly/19Toksz

Didn't see this started anywhere but had this pop up on Facebook today. Couldn't pull the whole link, I am a rookie at such things. Help anyone who can post it correctly!

Is it just me or is the earliest that UOR has posted any acts for Mardi Gras? If I remember correctly it usually after the holidays.

Normally around November they start revealing acts, but it's nice they're starting to announce now. Like I said in the Stash, I'm really hoping we get more rock bands this year, old and new. We only had, what, one or two this year?

Some people may be wondering why Mardi Gras is so long this year. I would put money on the fact that there won't be a Summer Concert Series this year due to the crowds already expected with a certain boy wizard.

Some people may be wondering why Mardi Gras is so long this year. I would put money on the fact that there won't be a Summer Concert Series this year due to the crowds already expected with a certain boy wizard.

Now that you mention that, the extra concerts will be the exact same amount as SCS. Smart move by Uni.

I have skipped Mardi Gras the past few years because they hardly ever have anyone that appeals to me anymore. What happened to all the rock bands and older groups?

Summer Concert Series was a band-aid to help Universal when it needed to bring people over before the summer. They've grown immensely in the past 4 years where it probably isn't needed anymore to help bring in the crowds.

I thought I read that SCS was still happening this year.

I'm more interested in this with Grad Bash. I bet whoever they have for Grad Bash will perform that Friday for Grad Bash then perform Saturday for Mardi Gras.

I have skipped Mardi Gras the past few years because they hardly ever have anyone that appeals to me anymore. What happened to all the rock bands and older groups?

Yeah, The Wanted...woohoo...but guess that's what the kids are into these days.

I find it a little odd that they haven't announced more of the performers that will be at at Mardi Gras 2014. Feb. is that far away.

Always struck me as more of a locals event. I don't know that too many people are planning trips around a single concert. In that case, a post-Christmas announcement is fine.

I find it stranger that there's been no mention of NYE entertainment at CityWalk.

Well, by this time last year, we only had 1 band announced (Matchbox Twenty). Several bands leaked around early December. Universal started tweeting out obvious teasers for artists in early January and the actual lineup wasn't officially revealed until January 7th. We're on track, if not a little ahead, as of right now.

As for New Year's Eve, the details for the 2011 event weren't announced until the first week of December and last year's was announced on 11/15, so it'll probably be announced within the next week or two if I were to guess. It's definitely returning this year though. It's mentioned on Universal's "Holiday" event page: https://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Holidays/Overview.aspx

I'm curious, does Universal introduce new floats every year for Mardi Gras? I've only been to two so far, and I have seen the concept art for the 2014 ones.